Time Savers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Savers

Anyone want to share their best time saving grooming tips?

Don't pregroom unless you have to. Most dogs can go right in the tub.

Figure out a routine. Then you don't have to think about what to do next. For instance: Bathe, dry, groin/butt, shave pads, nails, haircut, scissor, face, pluck ears. That's the way I do most dogs.

Have all your tools near you or know where they are so you don't have to go looking for them.

Comment

Towel dry, towel dry, then towle dry some more. By towel drying for about 30 to 45 seconds I cut minutes off force drying time!
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

man thats a tiny lil trailer!!

Comment

Ditto Carissa! Definitely...no pre-clipping before the bath. Have your equipment organized so that you know right where everything is and it's in convenient reach.

I also have three clippers in use at all times. A 10 stays on one, a 30 on one and the third I change for body clipping with 7,5,4, etc. If I have one clipper down it makes an obvious difference in my overall groom time just from changing blades frequently.

If I have dogs to be hand dried, they sit in the cage on a towel and drip for at least 30 minutes before I start drying him. If some hair gets too dry you can easily mist it with a spray bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
            Towel dry, towel dry, then towle dry some more. By towel drying for about 30 to 45 seconds I cut minutes off force drying time!
            Ditto. Don't underestimate how important towel drying is.

Get a Groomer's Helper if you don't already have one. You won't waste so much time chasing dogs around the table, dodging teeth, lifting butts up over and over again.

Comment

Okay......

Definitely agree with having a routine that becomes second nature. Don't rough in dogs, put them straight in the tub- after the bath, spritz with leave in conditioner, HV, then finish drying with a brush under the stand dryer. If you're still roughing in (clippering dogs before bathing), you're wasting alot of precious time.

Let's see.... I will also 'skim' hand scissor dogs like poodles in lamb clips with a 7F, then do the last bit with my shears. Saves me time and alot of wear and tear on my wrist. You have to have a good eye, steady hand, and a dog that's holding still to do this, though!lol I'm sure there's more, but I'm too tired to think of anything else right now. :-)

Comment

don't use conditioner unless you need to,and schedule appts very close to save driving around,gas and time.make sure all of the grooming equipment gets serviced on regular basis that way you groom faster and easier.

Comment

Ditto to the above---no pre clipping, towel dry WELL, use a Groomers Helper ( www.groomershelper.com ), do everything the same way with each dog, (habits), keep all your tools near you, etc etc...

Now this is my additional piece of help that has really helped me save time---a lot of it. I wrap my towel-dried dog in a towel, and place the dog on a towel in a kennel, and go to the next dog. By the time I finish bathing and towel-drying that dog, I wrap it, put it in a kennel on a towel, and either go back to the first one, which should dry much quicker, or I'll even go so far as to go to a 3rd dog to bathe/towel dry etc...

I dried a sheltie in 10 minutes, a yorkie in 2 minutes, and another yorkie that has a VERY thick coat in half the time it usually takes, and cockers are now about half the time, too. Plus, you still have the quality of hand drying over kennel drying. It's amazing!!!

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Tammy, do you HV to blow out some water before you wrap the dog with towel? Or you just bath then wrap it with towel?

Comment

Not a grooming tip but it saves time

A trick we learned to help out in other ways is to place pee pads in the bottom tray of crates that have grates in them. This way we spend much less time cleaning up pee, just switch out the pad and save the heavy duty cleaning for your 'down' times.

Also like everyone else says, try to groom each dog the same way. For example I try to start with nails, then pads sanitary clip and then start on the body with the head and tail last. This way I know I've trimmed the nails and it won't be forgotten. Also when the bather is behind I'll trim nails or do poodle feet on dogs before they hit the tub and that's one less thing I have to do after the dog is ready to be groomed.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                        Ditto to the above---no pre clipping, towel dry WELL, use a Groomers Helper ( www.groomershelper.com ), do everything the same way with each dog, (habits), keep all your tools near you, etc etc...

Now this is my additional piece of help that has really helped me save time---a lot of it. I wrap my towel-dried dog in a towel, and place the dog on a towel in a kennel, and go to the next dog. By the time I finish bathing and towel-drying that dog, I wrap it, put it in a kennel on a towel, and either go back to the first one, which should dry much quicker, or I'll even go so far as to go to a 3rd dog to bathe/towel dry etc...

I dried a sheltie in 10 minutes, a yorkie in 2 minutes, and another yorkie that has a VERY thick coat in half the time it usually takes, and cockers are now about half the time, too. Plus, you still have the quality of hand drying over kennel drying. It's amazing!!!

Tammy in Utah
                        I have to add one more thing because JJK asked me a question about this. I don't always HV the dripping water/spray off the dog, it's only with the cockers and other dogs that hold a lot of water in their coats. I HV reallllly quickly first, then towel dry, then wrap in a dry towel, lay it on a towel. If it's just a little yorkie or small dog, I don't blow off the water, I towel dry well, then wrap and put on a towel in a kennel to wait.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                        X