Strange Request From Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Request From Owner

Okay everyone, I got a strange request from an owner who wants her Duck Trolling Retriver groomed. She wants me to use a viniger rinse on the dog (that she is bringing). She says that she read in her herbal book for dog care that viniger will help with dry skin. She says the dog is scratching bad and is loosing his hair. I asked about fleas, she says no fleas. I think it is severaly dry skin or allergies. She also wanted to know if viniger in the water would repel fleas (that is what her book said). Anyone know anything about this. I would think that viniger would dry the dog more???

Not strange. Vinegar is known to help with skin issues, and makes the coat shiny.

50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water.

Comment

garlic works better to repel fleas. The vinigar rinse will cut all the shampoo residue. Ask her what food she is feeding. The dog may have an allergy to something in the food. Could be winter skin, but if the dog is losing hair, I might suggest a trip to the vet. Some flax seed oil will help from the inside out with skin. I don't think I would like to drink water with vinigar in it. So I would not do that to my dog.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Vingegar?

I routinely use a vinegar solution to help rinse all the soap out.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
          I don't think I would like to drink water with vinigar in it. So I would not do that to my dog.

The amount used in water is very small, you build up gradually to about 1/2 tsp per 15lbs body weight, so it's very diluted, they don't taste it.It's very beneficial for lots of things, you can look it up.

A vinegar rinse is very good for human hair too!

(and, come on, we're talking about animals that drink out of puddles and toilets, LOL

Comment

I started doing vinegar rinses a few weeks ago on all of my dogs. It helps rinse them SQUEAKY clean, and the coats are looking better than before! If I am going to use conditioner, I have been using it after the vinegar...so far, I am loving the results!

Comment

Vinegar rinses are great for removing any shampoo residue, leaving the coat really shiney and feeling squeeky clean. It's also a mild antiseptic and is useful in combating yeast infections, and it's soothing. We used to use it on sunburns when I was a kid.

Comment

how do you reduce the salad smell? i tried a vinegar rinse and the dog stunk like salad

Comment

Originally posted by shihtzugal View Post
                  how do you reduce the salad smell? i tried a vinegar rinse and the dog stunk like salad
                  You used too much vinegar. A cup of vinegar to a gallon of warm water is all you need. Use after rinsing the shampoo, but before using conditioner. If you aren't going to use conditioner, do a final plain water rinse.

I've never had a dog smell like salad once they're dry, even when I didn't use conditioner or plain water rinse, though.

Comment

I use 1 Tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of water. It works like a charm for removing the soap residue. I use it before conditioner if the dog gets conditioner.

Comment

i have to ask ....

Originally posted by PoodlePal View Post
                      I use 1 Tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of water. It works like a charm for removing the soap residue.
                      I have to ask ... do you put the vinegar in a gallon container and pour to the dog? or...? Any vinegar?

Comment

Originally posted by spanielcrazy View Post
                        The amount used in water is very small, you build up gradually to about 1/2 tsp per 15lbs body weight, so it's very diluted, they don't taste it.It's very beneficial for lots of things, you can look it up.

A vinegar rinse is very good for human hair too!

(and, come on, we're talking about animals that drink out of puddles and toilets, LOL
                        My dogs and my bird get small amounts of ACV in their water, and I take a tablespoon of it daily. You have to use the natural undistilled ACV that has "the mother" in it. You get it at nutritional stores or the health food section of your grocery. Since I have started taking the vinegar I don't have heartburn (I used to eat tums like candy), and believe it or not, my bones don't hurt like they used too. I read several articles on it and the health benefits are numerous. Yes, it took some building up to swallow a whole tablespoon of vinegar, but I actually like it now, and my animals don't seem to notice one way or the other if it is in their water. Like you mentioned they are not exactly persnickity about what they put in their mouths...lol
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. I have never heard of a vinegar rinse before. I guess I will try it on her dog and if works as well as you all say, I just may start doing more of it. Thanks again. Sarah

Comment

I took my dad's dog to groomer for a skunk bath. (I would have done it myself but she didn't have her rabies yet and my work requires that)

The groomer used vinegar, straight vinegar. The dog stunk horribly while I was there watching for the first few minutes. But when I came to pick her up later she didn't smell like vinegar at all.
                            Becky

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                              My dogs and my bird get small amounts of ACV in their water, and I take a tablespoon of it daily. You have to use the natural undistilled ACV that has "the mother" in it. You get it at nutritional stores or the health food section of your grocery. Since I have started taking the vinegar I don't have heartburn (I used to eat tums like candy), and believe it or not, my bones don't hurt like they used too. I read several articles on it and the health benefits are numerous. Yes, it took some building up to swallow a whole tablespoon of vinegar, but I actually like it now, and my animals don't seem to notice one way or the other if it is in their water. Like you mentioned they are not exactly persnickity about what they put in their mouths...lol
                              I've heard that if you drink "the mother" you will die...is that true or just an "old wives" tail?
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X