I loved how you groomed her but;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I loved how you groomed her but;

Why did you cut off her eyelashes that I have been admiring for two years? This is what I got yesterday. i have not called her back, and am wondering how to handle it. She did not say anything about the eyelashes and I was taught to cut them. I do not think she is mad because she said she wants to grow them from now on. I want to reply to her phone call, good customer service, but what would you say? Oh by the way it is a 2 year old Goldendoodle
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Easy

You apologize, and say you will mark down VERY CLEARLY not to cut the eyelashes again. You say certainly if she'd have mentioned the eyelashes you'd have left them. Short and sweet and promise of future attention to her wishes.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
      You apologize, and say you will mark down VERY CLEARLY not to cut the eyelashes again. You say certainly if she'd have mentioned the eyelashes you'd have left them. Short and sweet and promise of future attention to her wishes.
      Exactly what I'd do!
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

You can also inform her that many vets request that the eyelashes be kept short as not to irritate the eye.

Comment

yep. Tell you you will make a notation not to cut them next time and that its just a personal preference thing. I also like to add "and if you think about it, you remind me too!! " just double protection.

I have lots of clients who like their dogs long lashes Lash envy!

Comment

Yes, definitely call her back and just say you weren't aware she wanted the eyelashes left. Keep your tone light and friendly and don't act like it's a big deal.
            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Ditto.
              I've had the very same thing happen, only the owner noticed at p/u ( she never mentioned keeping them when she dropped off the dog). I told her I would put it on her card to keep the eyelashes long. She's still coming in, so I guess I'm back in her good books. Don't let it get you down, you're not a mindreader.

Comment

I got one of those....

I have a Shih Tzu client whose owner got annoyed 'cause I cut the eyelashes. I didn't even realize it or know that it was so important to her. Now every time I scissor around the face, I tell her, "Don't worry, I won't cut the eyelashes." Then I laugh. I don't make a big deal about it and now she's okay. (Of course, she finds something else to remind me about. LOL)

Comment

That is how I would handle it.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

Same as Arrooh said.

I want to add this though: If the eyelashes are longer than the hair you are cutting, they were probably intentionally left long (my personal experience). When the dog is done, you can call the owner and say, "Fluffy is ready to go home, but I have a quick question" and then ask if the eye lashes should or should not be cut. You can ALWAYS cut the lashes off, but gluing them back on is NOT an option.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I never cut eyelashes unless asked alos I never cut the ears or tail. unless I ask first I dont assume that its ok. I figure i can always cut I cant put the hair back.
                      I would just call her and tell her it was a mistake and you'l write it on her card. I mean sometimes you cut an eyelashes off my accident but never just do it. you always get a ticked off customer that way

Comment

I had a client with a shih with very long fu manchu eyelashes. she told me to NOT to cut the eyelashes. I assured her i wouldn't. I was scissoring the face, being careful not to cut the eyelashes. Suddenly mid snip, dog jerks face in major way and CHOP goes the eyelash. Well, all i could do was make the other match. I was terrified. But, i told her what happened and she just said, oh well...looks better this way anyway. Have been trimming them ever since. You just never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Briarpatch View Post
                          You can also inform her that many vets request that the eyelashes be kept short as not to irritate the eye.
                          Why would you tell her that? There is no reason to try to make someone feel stupid about a personal grooming preference.I don't think trying to side step a mistake and bring a fictional 3rd party into it is the way to deal with customers. Just be direct and apologize and put it in the file, now you'll ask everyone with long lashes if they want them!

Comment

Tammy, thats a good point, I've done that before. I had a schnauzer and the guy didn't say anything about the lashes but they looked unusually long to me, so I left them. When I called the owners I said "You didn't want the lashes trimmed, did you?" "No, why?" lol He probably thought I had cut them, but I told him I left them just in case and he thanked me for doing that.

Comment

I'm with Blue on this one. I wouldn't mention the fact the she did say not to cut the lashes. Just simply say, "Oh I'm so sorry, I wasn't aware that you wanted them left. I will never cut them from now on."

Sometimes telling someone that they should have mentioned they didn't want the lashes cut can cause them to become irritated a little... Some people take it as..
                              Well you should have told me to leave the lashes, if you had said something then you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

You have to stop and think about how people may react. Not everyone is in the right mind all the time.

Like my sister for example. If someone breaths out and a little voice comes out with it or if it's to fast or to slow for her liking, she freaks out on that person. She automatically assumes that a person is bored with her or frustrated or something. She can't let anything just be someone normal that everyone does. Everything has to be an attack on her.

I've had plenty of experience dealing with people who aren't all there. My late-aunt was mentally handicapped, I have a cousin who's not all there and then my sister. I found myself biting my tongue a lot..
                              Becky

Comment

Working...
                              X