Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is she bragging?

or really looking for a better deal?

this lady called me for the second time today (first time was a month or so ago) asking what i'd charge (mobile) for a lhasa,"he's really good, 7 yrs old, just gets a puppy cut every 3 months or so." so i quote her my average 1 1/2 hr fee. she laughs,

"oh my god! you'll never guess what i pay. go ahead."

" i dunno $35?" (i'm thinking this is ridiculously low for our area)

"no! hee hee hee $25! same price for 6 yrs. thank you bye." click

i wish she hadn't hung up so fast i had a lot of questions... like does your groomer live in a cardboard box? does she get all her medical exams in mexico? is she hunched over and cripple from grooming enough dogs to survive at that price?

anyways, i want to find this groomer and say shame shame shame on you for not raising your prices in 6 yrs!!

p.s. i know we're not supposed to post prices but since they're not mine or even realistic for that matter i thought it'd be ok

I had a man with a Peki, exactly same story, but he came 4 times for the same converstation in one year, even asked me " but you have nothing to do right now, can't you just take him ? " I gave him a big sweet smile together with a NO.
    He lived in the same block where my shop was, yet drove 40 mins one way for a cheaper grooming. I don't blame his groomer, the city's ( yes, he drove to another city ) rent is at least 50% lower than mine- Even gas is cheaper there.

Comment

I had a guy with 8 dogs call me (6 schnauzers, a corgie, a rott., and a 85lb. shep mix. wanting me to come to his house. I called a groomer friend of mine and we decided we would both spend a day there and take care of them together. I quoted 45 cookies for the small (a discount price) and 60-70 for the biggies. He was polite about it but said his last mobile groomer had been charging 25 for the last TEN YEARS and was shocked at my prices. I've talked to his family over 6 weeks weeks ago and there is a posting on craiglist now from him saying "ARE THERE ANY GROOMERS OUT THERE??!??!". I think 'who on earth was doing his dogs for so little for so long' and 'Is he holding out for something that cheap again- those poor dogs are gonna be a mess!'

Comment

is her daughter the groomer? LOL

What I am confused about is why she is calling you if she's so happy with what she has for 6 years?! That is weird. I would be hoping she called again and I would ask her if she is unhappy with her groomer? It almost sounds like a prank call? hee hee. Weird stuff.

Comment

Maybe there doing these people a big favor because they've been going to the same groomer for so long. I think if the lady ever called back I'd say yeah six years ago I would have quoted you the same price. I'd also add if i got the chance, do you get raises every year? Well I think your poor groomer finally deserves one too.

Comment

craigslist

i went to craigslist and left off the first s when typing, what a shock.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
              Oh my gosh! I did it too...ew
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

We had a shop close down near us not too long ago. People were calling to ask our prices, and couldn't believe it. They had been paying less than half what we quoted!
                I can't believe that someone would keep their prices the same for six years. We have customers that have been coming to us since we opened (I think nine years or so ago), and a lot of them are lower than our new customers. But we are still raising prices! Sure we have to raise them slowly, we can't just all of a sudden charge them what we charge new clients, but we're still raising them.

Comment

El-Cheapo Groomers...

I was cleaning up the mobile salon after finishing a dog last week, and a woman walking two Bichons came up and knocked on the door. She thought the whole concept was interesting and asked about pricing.... I told her that dogs their size start at $50 each. She laughed and said "you won't believe what I've been paying at the vet's down the street"... This is an upscale neighborhood and the veterinary hospital has mid-range pricing for the area, so I said, "$35 each?" (average for this area) She said " Stephanie charges $45 TOTAL for both dogs." I told her, "Well, if you're happy with the work, she's giving you a DEAL--hope you tip her well." She laughed again and said, "yeah, she is low-priced--probably why she's so busy I can't get in for several weeks if I don't book in advance. I don't like having to leave them all day, so let me weigh the differences between price and convenience, and I might give you a call...."

I'm tempted to contact this other groomer and point her to this website and the other popular groomers' site. This poor girl needs to bring her pricing into this century ($22.50 for a Bichon haircut??? maybe in 1984). She has to be grooming 12+ dogs a day to make a decent living at her prices. From what I saw, her work is decent--and would probably improve if she did fewer dogs a day....

Comment

I know all about this too, 2 towns over we have this groomer that charges 25 clams for a cocker and other spaniel types the little dogs are like 18, biggies are 30 she grooms in her home..., I really don't know how she survives as I know very little about her except her name , $$, and she grooms out of her home. I figure she is going to knock herself out with the all the dogs she has to do to make a living (however a rich hubby may be in the pic LOL Nahh I know about where the shop is ). And I will still be fresh, and able to pick up the slack.. once the the clients realize that is 2007.

Comment

nuk, whats wrong with going to mexico to the doctor? they might be cheap but they are very good most of the times i'll tell you a story about my mom; she got very sick in mid december with the flu,i kept checking on her every couple of days or so to see how she was and she sounded worse every time we kept taking her back to the DR. here in the US we must of taken her back around 6x in a month the DR kept saying it's just the flu,so one of my older sisters decided to take her to MEXICO to the DR and they told her in MEXICO that she had bronchitis (spell chk) and that one of her lungs was in very bad shape they gave her medicine and after maybe a couple of hundred dollars later she was doing great in just three days.also she has health insurance here in the US but she still payed more here after all those visits and she never got any better.when she told her DR. here where she went to the DR he was mad she said, but who cares. i just wanted you to know that some times more money does not mean better service here or anywhere. and yes i'm MEXICAN and very proud.

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                        Oh my gosh! I did it too...ew
                        me too!!! I'm scarred for life now...Jk

Comment

Originally posted by milhasavilla View Post
                          me too!!! I'm scarred for life now...Jk
                          lol me 2!

Comment

Is there a thread on here discussing what everyone charges at thier salon? I been getting 28 bucks plus tax for an average groom (small dog- poodle, ect.) for the last three years now. I am pretty sure it is the going rate around my town. I been thinking of a price increase in June to like 30 bucks.
                            any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
                              I don't get it? Please PM me, cause all I got was craigslist even when leaving off the first s?

There was a flyer on my local area's bulletin board a few months back that said any dog shaved for $20 flat fee. Mobile. Amazing.
                              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X