Qwik Stop and me being stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qwik Stop and me being stupid.

I had an interesting thing happen to me at work today. I was clipping a Labs nails and made one to short. Dog didn't whine or anything, I just happened to notice the blood. So I pulled out my trusty Qwik stop, poured some in the lid and stuck the dogs nail in it. Then I did the most stupid thing every. While still holding the lid with the Qwik Stop in it and my finger pressing on the end of the dogs nail, I blew the rest of the powder of the dogs foot. In the process of doing that I blew most of the powder out of the lid and right up my nose.

I instantly starting coughing and sneezing. My sinuses hurt so bad now. I blew my nose right after that, but it didn't help any. Now almost 4 hours later, I'm still coughing off and on and my eyes are watering.

I would not recommend getting Qwik Stop up your nose. It doesn't feel good... It's worse than swimming and inhaling water up your nose... Oh it sucks..
    Becky

When I worked at a petsomething, 2 other groomers and I were transferring a bag of Lemon Quat (concentrated cleaner) into a narrow dog food plastic container. The bag was slippery and one of the girls (our manager) dropped it and it hit the container and splashed EVERYWHERE. The 3rd groomer and I got our faces full of it and my manager totally freaked out. The other girl and I were laughing so hard because it was such a 3 Stooges moment. It burned our eyes slightly for a few minutes, but nothing more after that. We rinsed our eyes and faces with cool running water for quite a while and continued laughing about it. Our poor manager felt horrible and offered to take us to the Dr.'s to be checked out. Other than the raunchy taste of lemon cleaner in my mouth, I was fine, so was the other girl. No lasting effects. I'm a bit surprised it didn't do any damage given how concentrated the cleaner is. I always hated that stuff. It made me cough when I used it.

On another note, I chopped off the tip of one of my fingers a couple of months ago while trimming a dog's chin and my boss suggested tail docking liquid to stop the bleeding (essentially liquid styptic I think). It hurt like MO FO! I was NOT a happy camper. I didn't realize styptic stuff actually burned the dogs when used...I know now! The liquid stuff didn't even stop the bleeding. That's what irked me.

I'd rather just use pressure with a towel than use styptic stuff again. Just a warning to anyone who doesn't keep their fingers out of the way of scissors that are getting dull.

Comment

Just in case you ever get the urge quick stop dosen't tast to good either. I got it in my mouth one day. YUCK

Comment

Hmm. Some saline up your schnozola might help. I use the quick stop gel.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I've blown it too, gotten it in my eyes, my mouth, up my nose (all at different times, LOL).

One mistake I learned not to do was to "try" styptic powder on my own wounds. I had taken a chunk of skin out of my finger and needed it to stop bleeding as I had somewhere to go (on a date, I believe!!) and it wouldn't stop bleeding so I grabbed my new Qwik Stop (I was a braaaand new groomer then) and stuck it on my boo boo...

AND OH MY HECK IT HURT!! It burned like no other, and then it healed with a weird dent in my finger for quite a while.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

oh yes it does taste bad. try putting that stuff on fingers to stop nail biting i can't imagine it up my nose! did it drip down your throat later? uggh! ever notice how it turns purple when you mix it with ear cleaner? that's a hard stain to explain...

Comment

apply soap instaed of quick stop

My father was the one who showed me how to stop bleeding nails by dragging a cake of soap over the nail it will stop the bleeding quickly and safely I use this method when ever this problem arises.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                My father was the one who showed me how to stop bleeding nails by dragging a cake of soap over the nail it will stop the bleeding quickly and safely I use this method when ever this problem arises.

Fitzie (cute screenname), that's a great idea, thanks for sharing that with us! Was your dad a vet or groomer or something else to do with animals?

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

What a great tip!! Does it matter as to what brand of soap, or do they all work about the same?
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

OUCH!

That stuff will corrode your blades if it sits long enough in it.

(Discovered THAT the hard way when the cap came off the bottle in a small traveling bag I sometimes pack for mobile grooming)

Can't imagine it would feel good up the nose. I never thought about it, but perhaps a call to poison control is in order? I dunno.....

Hope you feel better.

Jodie

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the soap. I'm going to try that.

I'm all better now. It stung for a while and made me cough and sneeze uncontrollably. I was thinking about a saline rinse for my nose but I never bought one.

I have tasted it before, not meaning to. Get it on my finger, forget about it then lick my finger to make it tacky to pick up paper. Yeah, it's nasty..

However I've never seen it mixed with ear cleaner. I'm going to do it on purpose now just to see it change color.. LOL...
                      Becky

Comment

Yesterday, I got Quik Stop in my eye. After almost 12 years of grooming, this is the first time this has happened to me. I blew on the nail, and it went right into my right eyeball. The first reaction I had was to close my eye. Well, it dried up the whole thing, and I couldn't open my eye until the tears moistened it back up. Then it burned for the rest of the day. Yuck!

Comment

Working...
                        X