Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not only are we supposed to have magic wands, but were also supposed to be psychic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not only are we supposed to have magic wands, but were also supposed to be psychic.

I was thinking today about a couple clients who think that I can read their minds and the dogs minds and such. So I decided to make this thread. I'm sure all of you can relate.

Just like owners think we have magic wands and can brush out the worst matted coats in the world, they also think that we know exactly how to do their dogs without them telling us any info.

Like 2 of my Standard Poodles I do, where the owner would tell me how to groom her dogs. She would tell me, shorter legs than the body and a round top knot. Well apparently I kept doing the dogs wrong. The husband dropped them off one day and told me how to do them. She wanted the top knots a lot shorter, the legs shorter than they had been getting, the back shorter, etc. She would never correct me and ask me to make them shorter. She would say they looked great, take them home and chop them up herself.

Then one of the dogs I bathed today. Last summer when he was in he had sores all on the underside of his neck and his lower jaw. I noticed them when I started to scrub that area. So when the owner came to pick him up my boss told her about them and she freaked out. Started screaming that the groomer should have known he had those sores and shouldn't have bathed him. My boss simply replied, that there was no way I could have known those were there. He didn't scratch or anything. He told her that she should have known they were there. Then she asked, how am I supposed to know he has sores? My boss just looked at her, like, duh. Same thing with the groomer.

I'm pretty sure there are more stories out there like these, so please do share.
    Becky

that is sad, but funny,

Comment

When I was a new groomer I worked for petsomething A extremly matted shih tzu came in you couldn't see his eyes when I started to shave his face I noticed green pus coming from where his eyes should be I started to shave the hair around his eyes I almost threw up where his right eye should have been was a empty pus filled hole the eye was gone .My manager called the owner she had no idea his eye was gone but chewed my manger out because he was here two hours before we figured out his problem not like they couldn't smell it or anything.The funniest problem that came in was one of my regular OES came in the owners 2 kids had a jumbo size bag of jolly ranchers that they wetted and stuck on him He had about thirty of them things stuck to him he sure smelled good tho.

Comment

Sometimes I think people have other issues than how their dog looks and this is how it presents itself. She probably doesn't know what she really wants herself and certainly doesn't know how to communicate those wants.

We did get that a few times where I was working where the people would go on and on about how good dogs looked for a year or more and then if we were trying a new shampoos and the dog got a rash within a week of grooming they would call you next time they wanted to come in (say four-six months later) screaming and yelling that you gave their dog clipper burn and they had to go to the vet case they were all itchy with little bumps all over BLAH, BLAH, BLAH and then proceed to go on and then the past few times we didn't like this and that and/or and I never really like one thing or the other about the grooming. So because suddenly because of this "rash" they never liked lots of thing going back years.

Now had they called when the dog got a rash or when it went to the vet we could've been able to discuss it with them and the vet and let them know it wasn't clipper burn. ( I have soo... many of the same size blades they don't even come close to getting warm). I change them out constantly.

Just seems to happen that way with some people and I don't know what they expect sometimes and we specifically ask if everything looks ok and if there is anything they would like changed/different next time. NO NO it looks great.

Then couples are a whole other story, where the women probably did like the haircut but th husband would complain that's probably why she had him bring it in this time.

I had a havanese that came in whose face was all chopped up and mom and dad came in to pick her up. I pointed the area out and said to mom , Did she have some matts here? She looked at me like I was nuts and in the background was Dad grinning from ear to ear and laughing. He looked at her and said well she had some food stuck in there. I was like oh your so busted. LOL We all got a laugh, he thought she wouldn't notice. I'm glad he came with her to pick her up though.
        Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 03-06-07, 12:06 PM.

Comment

That's funny that you should post this because this same thing came up today.
          I had a new dog come in on Monday. First the kid shows up 15 min. late, then he doesn't have proof of rabies, so receptionist has to spend 15 min. on phone to track it down (after kid gives her so called number of vet that turns out to be some random ladies home, lol). Then to top it all off she was scheduled for a bath, and kid wants haircut.
          So, no biggie, I can fit her in. I ask what she is getting, and he is very vague. We go in circles. He says that they (I assumed parents, I guess "real" owners of dog) want her sort, but not shaved...ok heard that one before. So, I try again. Now I get out of him, cut her so that you can see a difference.
          I finally get enough info out of him that I think I know what to do. I cover with him what I am going to do.
          Well, wouldn't you know that I come in this morning and the owner had called and said that she did not get the right cut! I couldn't believe it. Thankfully she was mad at her step son, and not me (she called him a name on the phone, hehe). Apparently she had clearly told him what they wanted, but it went in one ear and out the other I guess.
          So, anyway, they are coming in Thursday for a redo!
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
            That's funny that you should post this because this same thing came up today.
            I had a new dog come in on Monday. First the kid shows up 15 min. late, then he doesn't have proof of rabies, so receptionist has to spend 15 min. on phone to track it down (after kid gives her so called number of vet that turns out to be some random ladies home, lol). Then to top it all off she was scheduled for a bath, and kid wants haircut.
            So, no biggie, I can fit her in. I ask what she is getting, and he is very vague. We go in circles. He says that they (I assumed parents, I guess "real" owners of dog) want her sort, but not shaved...ok heard that one before. So, I try again. Now I get out of him, cut her so that you can see a difference.
            I finally get enough info out of him that I think I know what to do. I cover with him what I am going to do.
            Well, wouldn't you know that I come in this morning and the owner had called and said that she did not get the right cut! I couldn't believe it. Thankfully she was mad at her step son, and not me (she called him a name on the phone, hehe). Apparently she had clearly told him what they wanted, but it went in one ear and out the other I guess.
            So, anyway, they are coming in Thursday for a redo!

Oh gotta love that. It's like when the wife sends their husband in with the dog and doesn't tell them what they want.

We even get people who make an appointment, send the spouse down with the dog, but send them to the wrong groomers. I get a lot of no shows a late people because of that.
            Becky

Comment

Happy trail~

That story was so sick!! I can't believe they didn't know it was missing an eye. Gave me the creeps. lol

Comment

Happy trails

Did you ask the lady with the dog with the puss filled eye why she didn't notice it when she lives with the dog?

Comment

I one time had a dog come in that was limping because he wasn't walking on one back leg. I asked the owner what was wrong with his leg and she said that he has been doing that for about 6 months and no they didn't take hinm to the vet. Turns out his back leg was matted to his stomach. He went out walking on all fours. Should I have charged a surgery fee? HA HA

Comment

Happy trails

OMG that's so gross! How could the owners live with that dog and not smell it? It's so sad that people have a dog in their house, but can go weeks without actually looking at it's face. I've had dogs come in with various & assorted infections and skin issues where the dog stinks so bad it could knock you off your feet, but when you mention it to the owner, they're like "Oh, really? I never noticed". EWW.

Comment

nice to see I am not alone in a dog hair world

I have this lady I call the silver tounge snake because she is so hateful, picky and insulting. she got a new Shih Tzu puppy. (joy joy I thought I was rid of her). Anyways, she insists on the phone little Neno is in desperate need of a haircut and comes in and says to me "oh his hair is sooo pretty long, I don't want it cut." So, I suggest just a neaten/tidy up. Sanitary, ect. round the feet up real pretty. "Oh no she says I like his feet long." Her Lhasa I groomed before it passed got a #3 blade body. and the first time I groomed it she freaked out on me and told me I 'shaved his feet like a poodle and to never do that again'. I had actually just trimmed the pads and rouonded them to match his body. she would have really flipped if I had actually shaved them with a #30. I bet she wouldn't know a Poodle it it hit her in the behind. GGGRRRR! LOL. Back to the story. Well, what about his head and over his nose? I asked. "Oh no, I want it to grow long, and natural." "oh you know just make him look pretty, he's looking shabby don't you think?" She headed out the door aand I stood there looking like a deer in headlights knowing whatever I did to this dog would'nt suit her anyhow. God be with me on the years of grooming little Neno I got left to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                        Oh gotta love that. It's like when the wife sends their husband in with the dog and doesn't tell them what they want.

We even get people who make an appointment, send the spouse down with the dog, but send them to the wrong groomers. I get a lot of no shows a late people because of that.
                        Or how about the people that make an appointment with another shop and show up at mine new client! jk
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

when i worked for a pet something,i remeber this man kept calling on a busy sat.please,please take my mini sch,we just moved here,my yard is full of stickers,and thorns that have gotten on my dog,hes a mess,so i took the dog,and dog was matted eveerything came off,and i had to sit there and pull foxtails out of his skin,so when owner comes i showed him the holes were the foxtails were,and there was an absess,which i did call the mgr right away,so he pays and leaves,and you know about 2 yrs later,i get a call from a woman wants to get her mini sch.groomed i asked has your dog been here before,she said once,and the groomer hacked him all up,i said really what happened,she proceeds to tell me dog had holes in skin,so i pulled card,good thing we right everything down i wrote dog was loaded with foxtails,had many holes that were abssed,and advised owner to get vet attention asap,and i said oh yes i rememer your dog you had just moved here,and your yard was full of thorns and foxtails,and thats were the holes came from i had to literally sit there and pull out foxtails by hand on your poor dog,and you know she was speechless,and just hung up

Comment

we've had that happen too...a cute adorable little yorkie poo named buster...the mom liked his feet covered the dad didnt. well we always did what the woman wanted...the dad ALWAYS brought him in...but he knew if he got the haircut HE wanted WE would be the ones in trouble LOL! quite a few people send their hubbys in with their dogs but specifically say over the phone...DONT LISTEN TO WHAT HE WANTS DO WHAT I TOLD YOU TO DO! LOL! its funny! the husband will go on and on about well..this is what i like him to look like but my wife wants him to look like this...and we go yes...well she told us to give him the haircut she wanted and not what you wanted so..sorry. one lady came in with a labradoodle her husband hunts with. very nice dog...she didnt like the mustache and hubby did. well needless to say hubby got the mustache on her LOL! the wife just rolled her eyes...and said give her the damn mustache...i hate it but if she dosnt have it then I get in trouble LOL!
                            sure enough hubby came to pick her up and was happy as can be!
                            Hound

Comment

Originally posted by spaz View Post
                              Did you ask the lady with the dog with the puss filled eye why she didn't notice it when she lives with the dog?
                              I was at lunch when she picked him up she told the salon manger that it was her sons dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X