I Don't Have to Make Him Look Like a Poodle....Yipeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Have to Make Him Look Like a Poodle....Yipeee

Two years ago I got a new client with her new toy poodle puppy. He was her first dog, and I thought "Oh boy. Here we go. Once every six months, need it or not, and matted to the bone." Boy was I wrong.

She's brought him in every 4 weeks, like clock work. I went over the home grooming requirements with her, she bought brushes and combs, and he's never had a mat. He's also never been done in any clip that looks like a poodle, until last week.

At first, she wanted a Bichon style, so that's what he got. The cutest little 6 pound Bichon you've ever seen, lol. She got bored with that, so we went to a Porti sporting clip. Cutest little white, 6 pound Porti you've ever seen.

When I did him last week, she said to give him a lamb clip, clean face & feet. I didn't think anything about it at first. I figured she was just bored again and wanted something different. Wrong.

She takes the dog to work with her, and apparently her co-worker, who also has a poodle, convinced her if he's a poodle he has to be done in a "poodle clip", meaning clean face & feet.

We talked it over when she picked him up. I assured her that there's no reason to do him in a "poodle" style if she wants something else, so long as it's a style that's suited to his hair. No, I can't make him look like a white, 6 pound golden retriever. But I CAN make him look like a white, 6 pound Bedlington, lol.

Soooooo, next time he comes in, we're starting his make-over again. A white, 6 pound Bedlington it is!

I also mentioned we can make him pink, green, blue, or give him a "tattoo". I think she just might let me do it, too.

Yipee!

How fun! I wish I had more customers like that. I love it when they say just make him look cute.

Comment

Why can't you make him look like a Golden? lol
      That is a fun client to have, wish I had more of them. Or, I wish I had just one of them..haha.. Take a pict of this little cutie when he is styled as a BT!
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Oh that's so cool. I want my own so I can do stuff like that. I'm so.. jealous

Comment

That is so fun, maybe a photo album for him. When both of you are bored of making him look like a K9, make him look like a coyote, panda, coala.....he, he,

Comment

That is fun, my mother has 2 mini poodles. One grey and one white. The Grey one is done like a poodle, clean hace and feet, 1 1/2" comb all over..the white is done like a Bichon.
            I am dying them some wild colours this summer.

But my own std. poodle, no way! Poodle all the way!

Comment

Yay, how fun for you Helly! I just love make-overs. I have a shih tzu come in every 6 wks, and owner always asks me to make her look as much like a poodle as I can. I think she really means 'poodle clip', like clean feet, shaved face, etc. But it always cracks me up to hear her say it. She's always been happy with this lil' shih's clips and she's NEVER looked anything like a poodle.

Comment

Oh fun...

At a shop I used to work at a new lady came in with a mini poodle. She told the groomer to do whatever she wanted. It was almost Halloween so the groomer shaved his body (not to short) but left a spider pattern on his back, with legs coming down his sides. She put a red bow in the rear part of the spider pattern and made it look just like a black widow. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.
                Becky

Comment

Poodlington styling

Hi Helly, I got to do one of those! Mom walks in, doesn't want a topknot, doesn't want poodle feet, doesn't clean face...take the hair off! But don't make him look prissy...

Well, there was talk on one of the other lists , several groomers were doing this...so i just went for it! He turned out really cool! His owner was thrilled! I got some good photos, one is on my web site/posh pets page...but darn, I didn't get the before shot of the 3 month over grown fuzzy thing he had been!

It is so fun when you have owners that WILL let you do some creative styling.

Comment

I have an oversized standard who, for a while got a different cut every time I saw him (about every 2-3 months...LOTS of hair growth, but never matted). He's been in the same cut the last 3 times I've seen him, so I'm hoping for a change soon. I'm wondering if she would let me put designs on him. He usually takes 3-4 hours, so I'm not sure I could handle any more time with him.

Comment

Helly, if you were a "good" groomer you could make that dog look like a golden retriever.

:P (Raspberry).

Congrats, and BE SURE TO TAKE PHOTOS OF THIS GREEN BEDLINGTON, lol. I can't wait to see it!

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
                        Hi Helly, I got to do one of those! Mom walks in, doesn't want a topknot, doesn't want poodle feet, doesn't clean face...take the hair off! But don't make him look prissy...

Well, there was talk on one of the other lists , several groomers were doing this...so i just went for it! He turned out really cool! His owner was thrilled! I got some good photos, one is on my web site/posh pets page...but darn, I didn't get the before shot of the 3 month over grown fuzzy thing he had been!

It is so fun when you have owners that WILL let you do some creative styling.

That Poodlington on your website is ADORABLE! I will have to try that clip (for a little while, anyway, because I really like clean faces) when I get my poodle.

Comment

I cant wait to see the 'bedlington" be sure to post pics !!

Comment

My friend just got a westie and he wants to bring it in tomorrow to get a green mohawk and one side of the body will be red and the other blue. I am ready for him... Ill let you know if he goes through with it! I will definately take photos!

Comment

Working...
                            X