Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen this? How bizarre

What is the world coming to?

Terriers Stolen at Gunpoint in L.A. Returned to Rightful Owners; Puppy Still Missing

The photo didn't copy.

In this photo released by the Los Angeles Police Department, shown are two stolen Yorkshire terriers. According to police, two armed men forced their way into a family's home and stole five dogs and four purebred Yorkshire terrier puppies, including the two shown here. The animals had been advertised for sale.

Four purebred Yorkshire terriers stolen at gunpoint during a home invasion robbery more than a week ago were returned to their owners after a man turned himself in to police.

Three puppies, valued at $2,500 each, and a full-grown family pet named Tan-ja were reunited with their owners at the Wilshire Division police station Saturday night.

One puppy remained missing, police said.

Family members hugged and kissed the panting pups and left the police station with the dogs in their arms.

The animals were recovered after Ryan Betton, 19, of Los Angeles, surrendered to police Friday night, Detective Luis Corona said.

He was booked for investigation of residential robbery, police said.

A videotape of the robbery that aired on local television brought in many tips, including telephone calls that sent police to the home of Betton's father, Corona said.

"When the son came home, he confronted the son and that led to the son being brought in to the station to turn himself in," Corona said.

A second man was being sought.

The puppies had been advertised for sale in a newspaper and two men posing as buyers made an appointment to see them on Feb. 23. When a family member opened the door, one of the men pulled a gun. The men ordered the family of four to lie on the living room floor.

A home surveillance camera caught the scene as one man held a gun and the other chased after the puppies with a plastic garbage bag as they scampered around the room and underneath a coffee table.

He snatched one of the dogs from a woman's hands.

No one was injured.

Corona said before they were returned, the dogs were found in several places, including Long Beach.

Authorities believe the robbers didn't intend to sell the dogs but probably wanted to give them away as gifts, Corona said.

An LAPD official did not know if Betton had legal representation.

I heard an animal hospital client of ours talking about this and I told her that I would die without my Spike, they could just take him out of my cold dead hands after they shot me!

I'm so glad most of the dogs have been recovered.

I keep telling my husband that I will NEVER leave my dog in the car (on good climate days), because of the fact that they are often stolen for drug money or gifts. Now I have an example!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

stealing dogs

Pretty bad huh. I saw this too.
      We used to have a bad problem with people stealing purebred pets where I lived previously. One police officer even got his dogs stolen, with him home and his cruser parked out front. Every year in late summer these criminals would scout the town for purebreds to sell to a place that needed purebreds for animal testing. Hundreds would come up missing in a two month time.

Comment

Kim sounds like a bad deal! We had a case here where a gentleman was talking on his cell phone sitting out front of his apartment building. He had his Dachshund puppy on a leash with him. Some boys came up and asked if they could see his puppy.

He felt them pick the puppy up (they weren't standing right in front of him I guess), and he could feel the leash suddenly unhook from the dog and the boys took off running. They jumped into a "getaway" car with an adult in it. The license plate was for either a stolen vehicle or the registration was expired and lead them nowhere...something like that. To my knowledge the man never saw his dog again, he was very upset.

I just don't "get" people who think the world owes them something and that they don't have to work (like the rest of us) for something they want---even if it's drugs! It's beyond my ability to comprehend something like that. It makes me sick.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Sick, Sick, Sick!!!

I hope these idiots get the harshest punishment possible. Those poor pups, AND don't forget about the terrror the family went through. Can you imaging having your children with you while you are being robbed at gun point. I shudder to even imagine it!
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Oh spikey that stories - really sad not only that the man never saw the dog again, but that adults engaged the help of their children for such a nasty task. Oh that pisses me off to no end. Real first class citiziens they'll grow up to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
              Kim sounds like a bad deal! We had a case here where a gentleman was talking on his cell phone sitting out front of his apartment building. He had his Dachshund puppy on a leash with him. Some boys came up and asked if they could see his puppy.

He felt them pick the puppy up (they weren't standing right in front of him I guess), and he could feel the leash suddenly unhook from the dog and the boys took off running. They jumped into a "getaway" car with an adult in it. The license plate was for either a stolen vehicle or the registration was expired and lead them nowhere...something like that. To my knowledge the man never saw his dog again, he was very upset.

I just don't "get" people who think the world owes them something and that they don't have to work (like the rest of us) for something they want---even if it's drugs! It's beyond my ability to comprehend something like that. It makes me sick.

Tammy in Utah
              Wow, that's just terrible. I couldn't imagine having someone take my dog with me standing right there! Imagine the guilt that that guy must have felt! Wow.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Daperdawg,

Yes, you make a very good point. These sad little boys will have messed up lives.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

There was a puppy store in our area that was robbed of all the dogs a couple of years ago (I don't like the puppy stores but I can't believe these pets had a better life with thieves either). They never caught the perps.

One of my clients had the sweetest Basset hound, their home was robbed, the dog was taken (including its leash and food) as well as a ton of other electronics. They caught the theives, but they had sold the dog to someone and the family never got the puppy back.

In my opinion we should have a special infraction for stealing pets. it is kidnapping (my Gracy is my kid). But, unfortunately it is no different than stealing a tv.

Comment

this is why i hate hate hate whenever i have to leave eddie in the car by himself unattended while i run into the store for a few minutes. i ALWAYS lock the car doors and make sure the window is open only 1 or 2 inchs...he is such a cute black and white dog (70 lbs though so i hope no one decides to mess with him LOL!) but someone COULD steal him..so i am ALWAYS so anxious to get back and always so relieved when he is still there. i have only had to leave him maybe 2 or 3 times by himself since weve had him. adopted him at age 2 and he is now 6 yrs old. otherwise if he goes for a car ride its always to a specific place for him...or if i know we are NOT going inside anywhere. another thing that really gets me is when people leave their dogs in the car and go grocery shopping or are in menards or whatever...i dont know HOW many times ive been in the menards/home depot/lowes/whatever the big superstore is that sells tack and stuff for horses its slipped my mind right now...and you hear a big dog barking at EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT WALKS BY! talk about ANNOYING! and those poor dogs either are going nutso barking at everyone or just lay there looking depressed as all hell.
                    it really gets me ticked.
                    that really stinks what happend to that family...poor poor puppers where probably freaked out!
                    Hound

Comment

Gracy Rose

That's so true and said, the place no value of the life of a pet.

There have been a few good legal outcomes for abusers of pets but it could improve 110%.

We had one women here in connecticut that tortured and killed a kitten years back because she was mad at her roomate who owned that cat an she actually got jail time and got banned from ever owning animals in her life. We need more of this.

Comment

I am concerned for the one

In California many are stolen for resale and puppy mills. I might die but I'd be kicking and screaming.

We had a case here where 3 little 2 week pups were stolen from inside a house. They were little terrier/chihuahua mixes. Back door was kicked in. The mother dog had died from birthing complications and the beloved babies were hand raised. The owner was a Pastor and it was while he was at church on New Years Eve. day. I said immediately get a hold of the news media.

Two TV stations put out the story. They were found, all three doing okay, over 60 miles away thanks to a wonderful Petco Manager who caught the news and remembered a lady coming in with bottle feeding questions and supplies. The manager went the extra mile and reported the situation. The police got the woman and the pups returned to the overjoyed owner. Pups now almost 12 weeks old and fine. He kept two of the babies, one named Miracle. Don't know about the woman and who she "bought" them from.

Thankful for happy endings.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I hate that. When I worked in New York I lost several grooming dogs because they were being stolen right out of their yards. One lady had 2 male poodles (both would always get red bows). One was really friendly and the other would always run and hide. She came home one night and the friendly one was gone and she found her other one hiding under her porch. I must have lost a couple dozen grooming dogs in a 4 month period. As suddenly as it started, it stopped. The dogs never surfaced anywhere so the news reported it as a possible lab that was experimenting on animals.
                          Becky

Comment

Working...
                          X