OMG! I nicked an ear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! I nicked an ear!

Even after 30 plus years of grooming, accidents can still happen. Today I nicked the edge of an ear on a very wiggly yorkie. Felt horrible, to say the least. Zoey was almost finished, just the ears and a little face trimming left when snip, yelp, and blood. GRRR. Ten min of pressure and styptic later, I took $8 off her bill, and called her owner. Told her what happened and how bad I felt. Been doing this wiggle wort for 4 years, every 6 weeks. She wasn't at all upset-she knows how Zoey behaves. But she had forgotten her check book, and would drop by later. A few hours later, she returned-I had a dog in the tub, so she left the check on my table. Zoey was with her, and ear was fine (I was worried that it might start to bleed again). When I looked at the check, she had made it out for the usual amount, plus the usual $5 tip! How nice was that!!? Maybe it's the full moon, or maybe just a nudge from above to keep me on my toes-I haven't had an accident in ages...and hope I don't have any more for a loooong time.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

It happens to everyone eventually I think. I just had my first little nick on a ear on a schnauzer last week. Even though it was just a teeny little nick the darn thing bled like crazy. After it stopped bleeding I couldn't even hardly see the tiny little nick, I couldn't believe how much the thing bled scared me to death. I ran and told the vet down the hall and they actually laughed at me and said "Oh that's nothing!" you should of seen some of last groomer's little accidents. My scissor sharpener moblile guy does way to good of a job, my scissors are always so sharp and I should of been a little more careful because they just were done the day before.

That was very nice of that lady to not even worry about the amount off you said you'd give her. She probably was very happy that you told her about it. That is always the best and right thing to do even if it is just a little nick.

Comment

Chi Hoo-a-hoo-a fan! You're back!!! So glad to see you.

Karla, the reason she wrote you the check the way she did is because she TRUSTS you, that is a great compliment!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Ears do bleed like buggers! Knock on wood (tapping on head..lol) I haven't had any booboo's in a while (I just jinxed myself!). We all know how little nicks bleed on dogs ears, I just can't understand how that groomer managed to cut a ear OFF and glue it on w/out it being immediately obvious! Either she was really really talented at using the glue, or the owner was a total dumbass, or it never happened and was a fabrication from the owner. Hmmmmm
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I think most of us have had that happen, even when you're careful. And yeah, they can sure bleed, even if it's just a small cut. It's a horrible feeling ( been there) , but at least the owner was to you nice about it.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
            Ears do bleed like buggers! Knock on wood (tapping on head..lol) I haven't had any booboo's in a while (I just jinxed myself!). We all know how little nicks bleed on dogs ears, I just can't understand how that groomer managed to cut a ear OFF and glue it on w/out it being immediately obvious! Either she was really really talented at using the glue, or the owner was a total dumbass, or it never happened and was a fabrication from the owner. Hmmmmm
            I'ts so true! I swear that everytime I comment that I haven't nicked a dog in awhile I do...
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I didn't nick the ear, but this week I was grooming and little Shih Tzu and I clipper vaced a chunk out of the ear hair. Left a big gap in the hair. And I don't even remember when it happened, I noticed it when I went to finish up the face. I told the owner all about it and showed her the spot. Her comment was "At least you didn't cut off the ear and try to glue it back" lol...

Comment

I just HATE nicking anything!! Last week, I cut so many nails too short...I was so frustrated with myself. I hadn't made a nail bleed in months, then all of a sudden several in 1 week. I sypmathize with you!! At least your client was so understanding, those clients are the best aren't they. I know you still feel bad, thankfully the owner didn't make you feel worse. Maybe the full moon thing was affecting us groomers too...

Comment

Originally posted by TAILSRWAGON View Post
                  I didn't nick the ear, but this week I was grooming and little Shih Tzu and I clipper vaced a chunk out of the ear hair. Left a big gap in the hair. And I don't even remember when it happened, I noticed it when I went to finish up the face. I told the owner all about it and showed her the spot. Her comment was "At least you didn't cut off the ear and try to glue it back" lol...
                  That's so funny! I had a regular come in last week, and almost acted a little apprehensive about leaving her dog. She told me that she had heard a story about a groomer ( I knew immediately she meant the ear story). I was able to laugh and joke with her, and assure her I knew what I was doing, lol. I told her that if on the rare occasion I accidentally nicked a dog, the owner ALWAYS knew about it. Anyway, she left confident in me, but I think it's funny that that story became so well known that customers are commenting on it!
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                    That's so funny! I had a regular come in last week, and almost acted a little apprehensive about leaving her dog. She told me that she had heard a story about a groomer ( I knew immediately she meant the ear story). I was able to laugh and joke with her, and assure her I knew what I was doing, lol. I told her that if on the rare occasion I accidentally nicked a dog, the owner ALWAYS knew about it. Anyway, she left confident in me, but I think it's funny that that story became so well known that customers are commenting on it!

Rapuzzled, I had the same thing happen! I had a different response though; A lady and I were talking about that and I said, "Don't worry, if I cut your dog's ear off, I wont try to glue it back on." She thought that was funny. I DO tell them, "You know, honestly accidents like that can and do happen, the problem was the way it was handled."

SOmetimes it helps, and sometimes it doesn't. :|

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

You know, when I think about what we do and who we work with, I'm surprised that these accidents don't happen more often.
                      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by blue View Post
                        You know, when I think about what we do and who we work with, I'm surprised that these accidents don't happen more often.
                        I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...
                        X