Need info on how commission works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on how commission works

I own my own salon and have full time bather. I hired a girl who worked rough cut dogs for a groomer and they taught her how to groom on her spare time. She can do only about 70% of groom and she wants commission instead of by the hour. I pay her by the hour now because of our boarding facility. She walks,clean,feeds,ect. Got any suggestions on how I should do this?

Most commissioned groomers make about 50% sometimes 60%. With the over head and such, you'll barely be squeaking by at the 50% mark from what I understand. Before you decide to put her on commission, do the math and see if it is worth it and feasable for you.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

How you should do this is to make a management decision. "Sorry, I don't figure wages by commission, I pay hourly. And seeing as this is my business, and my decision, it's not open for discussion."

I mean, really. What other business is going to let an employee dictate how that employee is going to be paid? I'd love to be paid weekly, not every other week, but I wouldn't even think of making that type of request.

And taking into consideration that she can't do full grooms...you said about 70%, right? Well what are you going to do, figure 70% of 50%, if you get my drift. Because, IMO, someone who doesn't do 100% of a groom shouldn't get full commission.

Comment

I agree with Helly. Besides, what are you going to do...pay her commission for the grooming and then hourly for the other work? What a headache. Show her how she would make less money this way, then she will lose interest. I can't imagine that she would make more money this way based on the fact she can't complete the whole groom...like Helly said, 50% of 70% of the groom price......can't pay her full commission if she can't do the full dog.

Comment

Yeah, like Helly says. Tell her you'll give her the 50 % commission but she has to give you back 30 % to finish the other 30% of the dog! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
            Yeah, like Helly says. Tell her you'll give her the 50 % commission but she has to give you back 30 % to finish the other 30% of the dog! LOL
            Oh you guys are so right on!

I was only thinking in the terms of the person who wrote the thread having to pay taxes and overhead---she'd end up with like 6-7% maybe?

But I forgot about the "groomer" not being able to do a full groom. NO WAY would she get even 50%. I think hourly would be in HER best interest anyway since she can't finish a groom.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

OK, maybe I can add to this post, lol.

I was hired 2 years ago as a part-time, temporary kennel tech. I was paid hourly. Well, p/t turned into f/t and the kennel tech part turned into being a groomer as well. During the early times when I was just learning (still learning), I still only got paid by the hour, but when I could do full grooms 100%, my boss decided to pay me hourly + commision (25% of my full grooms). This lasted a few months and just basically turned into bonuses instead. It was frustrating for her to figure the commissions + hourly, yadda yadda, so she asked me if I would just prefer an hourly raise. This has worked out great for both of us as I work anywhere from 35 - 50 hours a week. I still do some kennel work (we have a part-time girl now), along with alot of customer service, record keeping, and grooming.

The commission thing was not as worth it for me in the long run, but I still get bonuses when business is good.

I really appreciate my boss and I know that she appreciates ME!

Comment

Originally posted by NeaNea View Post
                OK, maybe I can add to this post, lol.

I was hired 2 years ago as a part-time, temporary kennel tech. I was paid hourly. Well, p/t turned into f/t and the kennel tech part turned into being a groomer as well. During the early times when I was just learning (still learning), I still only got paid by the hour, but when I could do full grooms 100%, my boss decided to pay me hourly + commision (25% of my full grooms). This lasted a few months and just basically turned into bonuses instead. It was frustrating for her to figure the commissions + hourly, yadda yadda, so she asked me if I would just prefer an hourly raise. This has worked out great for both of us as I work anywhere from 35 - 50 hours a week. I still do some kennel work (we have a part-time girl now), along with alot of customer service, record keeping, and grooming.

The commission thing was not as worth it for me in the long run, but I still get bonuses when business is good.

I really appreciate my boss and I know that she appreciates ME!

Wow, it sounds like you work for a great place! Hard to find bosses like that, good work!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Actually, you could do both. Pay hourly for the kennel work...and commission for the grooming part. There is no law that says you have to pay 50%...you could pay 10% of the price of the dog, as long as it complies with the minimum wage laws.

In fact, if you are training her to groom, it is often to your benefit to pay a low commission as she will take too long to finish a dog. The price paid by the hourly wage wouldn't be to your benefit.
                  As her skills improve, you have room to increase her commission base.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her asking...after all....she was just asking...no big deal. You will have the final say once you do the math.

namaste...dogma

Comment

I pay 50% ,but ,back charge $3 per dog for bathing, after the split. I have to pay for shampoo, rent, elec, phone, water, and a bather! I really think it should only be 40% , groomers are getting greedy, it's becoming hard to profit the more the groomers want to take from the owners. We pay taxes too! I flet it was fair to charge the groomers for the bath and drying, it frees them up to groom more dogs and make more money. The bathers make $9-$10 bucks an hour in my area, but they work their butts off!

Comment

Working...
                    X