Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schnauzer from...H-E-double hockey sticks!!LOL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnauzer from...H-E-double hockey sticks!!LOL!

Today I groomed the nastiest dog I have ever seen. When the owner dropped him off I could tell he had some mats. When I pointed this out the owner said that she knew and never had time to brush him. The last time he was done was thanksgiving. She asked if I could make him really short because she didn't want to bring him back until June!!! I told her that this breed really needs to be on a regular schedual if she want to keep him in the proper hair cut but she insisted that she didn't have the time. This makes me SOOOOO mad! If you dont have time to take care of a dog properly then don't get one!!! anyways, I said that I would do my best to de mat him and there would be an extra charge. She agreed and left. When I got him on the table and took a good lok at the dog I realized that it was much worse that I thought! He had the worst eye gook ever. Totally matted to his face and his eyes had a yellow discharge because of the irritation. His nails were nearly growing into his pads. His anus was swollen and oozy. To top it all off the hair on his upper and lower jaws were matted together and he could not open his jaw very far. Just enough to eat and drink. I wanted to turn her in for neglect!!! She clearly has plenty of money ( drives a new lexus and fancy clothes, jewlery...etc) So why does her dog look like it was just picked up off the streets??? uggg....So I dive in to this insane project. I shaved the pattern and attempted to demat the legs.. No way! The poor dog was in too much pain. 7F all over! First I called the owner and left her a message on her cell letting her know what I was going to do and why. The dog was trying to rip my head off the whole time. I had to trim his front legs with my scissors. He would not tolerate the clippers on his legs. I managed to get his back nails done but he would not let me do the front nails. Even witht he GH and a muzzle. He was just stressing to much. I thought he was going to have a sesure(SP?) so I took the muzzel off. Oh, and his ears were copmpleatly filled with hair and wax. They reeked of infection. I did my best and he ended up not looking that bad. Even though his groom was not compleatly done (ears and nails). I felt so bad for this little guy. I don't think he really wanted to hurt me, he was just in a lot of pain. Needless to say he went home with a Vet Ref card, 2 actually! I couldn't fit all of his "issues" on one card! I was not there when the woman came to get him so I don't know how she took it. I explained the situation to the manager and he agreed I did the right thing for the dog. I guess I'll find out how it went tomorrow morn!

WOW...

It is so sad to see a dog in that kind of condition--and owned by someone who appears to be wealthy (or at least living high). Shameful if you ask me. I've seen dogs in that condition, but never was the person apparently wealthy. That's just so sad.

One thing that confused me is that the owner said to make him as "short as possible," but then you said something about brushing out the mats to have his pattern. Did she want the pattern very short? ????

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I had the same question as Spikey. I thought I had read client wanted short and you mentioned dematting,why? I would have just done it short.
      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
      Diane

Comment

I would have told her he was getting a Chichichuah cut and buzzed him. Poor little fella, it does make me so mad when you see these guys (whether the owner has money or not) in this condition. I really hope she gets him to the vet asap and I hope you padded your pocket well w/that grooming charge!
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I'm of the same opinion as Spikie and Pixie. She wanted it short, I would have just shaved it all off.

And Tammy, sad to say, but I've had customers who appeared to be very wealthy with dogs in just that sad of condition. I remember one woman who brought in 3 Shihs who were in deplorable condition. After I managed to remove the matted mess over the male's eyes I discovered that one of his eyeballs was bulging abnormally, bright red (not blood shot, his eye was full of blood), extremely painful. The other one had burst. I don't handle eyes very well, and I lost it. When the owner came to pick up, I showed her the dog and lost it again.

Comment

levels of grooming

Well, I'll just throw this out there. Years ago I met Teri DiMarino (sp) at hershey. She was doing a standard at one of the booths, and she was executing some of the finer techniques. At one point she said "I just don't put my hands on a dirty dog, no way". I walked away thinking "how is that possible, they all come in dirty". Well, that is because there are levels of grooming. The competitors, dog show people, etc. deal with dogs on a regular basis that know what is expected of them. They stand still, they have beautiful patterns, and the groomer is able to shine because the dogs are darned used to this whole process. Funny, after all of these years, that is the type of grooming that I want to do! Now, not saying that I can snap my fingers and voila I am doing it. The training, time, money, and stick-to-it-ness is very demanding. I am now in year 3 of this type of training, and holy shmoly, it ain't easy. However, clients hear and see what type of grooming you do and you do attract a different clientele. I just can't make excuses for the situation that you describe above, under any conditions. Dogs take commitment on every level, and when you embrace it, they shine. I really don't see that kind of dog anymore, and thank goodness...

Comment

Yes, she wanted a very short pattern on the dog...She thought that this meant she wouldn't have to bring the dog in for another 4 months but the mats were too close to the skin to save anything, so I took it all off...

Comment

Originally posted by gally22 View Post
                Well, I'll just throw this out there. Years ago I met Teri DiMarino (sp) at hershey. She was doing a standard at one of the booths, and she was executing some of the finer techniques. At one point she said "I just don't put my hands on a dirty dog, no way". I walked away thinking "how is that possible, they all come in dirty". Well, that is because there are levels of grooming. The competitors, dog show people, etc. deal with dogs on a regular basis that know what is expected of them. They stand still, they have beautiful patterns, and the groomer is able to shine because the dogs are darned used to this whole process. Funny, after all of these years, that is the type of grooming that I want to do! Now, not saying that I can snap my fingers and voila I am doing it. The training, time, money, and stick-to-it-ness is very demanding. I am now in year 3 of this type of training, and holy shmoly, it ain't easy. However, clients hear and see what type of grooming you do and you do attract a different clientele. I just can't make excuses for the situation that you describe above, under any conditions. Dogs take commitment on every level, and when you embrace it, they shine. I really don't see that kind of dog anymore, and thank goodness...
                It does break my heart to see dogs like this in such deplorable condition, but someone does have to groom them. I don't mind doing the dirty work and it may not be as dignified of a job, but it's definitely not less important. I totally understand what you're saying gally22, and I'll add for me that there is a distinctive sort of compassion and satisfaction that I get from grooming a dirty overgrown dog. And it's especially satisfying when you get thru to the owners with careful education and then they change their behavior and the dog has a better life becuase of it. To me this is much more gratifying than producing a show clip on a regularly pampered pooch. It's a balance all of us groomers seem to be adding to the world and we each have or must find our place.

Comment

Originally posted by bullylover21 View Post
                  Yes, she wanted a very short pattern on the dog...She thought that this meant she wouldn't have to bring the dog in for another 4 months but the mats were too close to the skin to save anything, so I took it all off...

Oh, gotcha. I get a few of those, too. I just get so frustrated.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                  X