No announcement yet.

suave conditioner and dawn dish soap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suave conditioner and dawn dish soap ?

Does anyone do this?
    Like, if you're out of conditioner and waiting for the next order to come in using Suave conditioner or using Dawn for greasy or dirty dogs?
    Just wondering.
    I think I heard of this somewhere else, just not sure where.
    Love to hear your comments.

I use Dawn sometimes on greasy dogs.
    But I know that a lot of people have mentioned the liability in using people products on animals.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I use dawn in greasy dogs. Followed by a really good rinsing and dog shampoo.

Human conditioners are not good for dogs. Shampoo is fine, but not the conditioner.
      Becky

Comment

Ive also had to use Dawn on extra greasy dogs.It is diluted though. Ive also had far too many dogs come in after they have rolled in car oil. I dont know what thats about though.

Sio

Comment

Dawn's okay for me.

I've used Dawn on really bad dirty feet and never saw a problem. As for conditioner, why is human conditioner bad? I've never used it, but just curious.

Comment

Hmmmmm....

I worked in a kennel once and all they used to bathe the dogs with was Tres Semme (shampoo and conditioner) and Dawn. They seem to work, and i never heard about reactions to them. But, it was really hard to rinse conditioner for humans out of their hair. Especially if you were bathing a really big dog like a Newfoundland or something similar. I don't suggest it, but some places do this.

Comment

Originally posted by resident_hector View Post
              Does anyone do this?
              Like, if you're out of conditioner and waiting for the next order to come in using Suave conditioner or using Dawn for greasy or dirty dogs?
              Just wondering.
              Suave makes my hair a dried out mess! It is also hard to rinse out. I don't think I'd use it on a dog since I won't even use it on me.

Comment

I once saw a "old time" mobile groomer on a local news show state that he used Ivory liquid soap instead of shampoo! He actaully said this on TV! Said he'd been doing it for 25 years and never had a single complaint.....what do you think?? Ever use thsi on a dog?? I use dawn for greesy dogs (esp Golden ears after ear infection meds!) I don't think I'd use Ivroy saop, it would save lots of $$ though!

Comment

My grooming school used Dawn on everything that walked in. It works well and it is generally ok to use, but it's not labelled for animal use and I wouldn't want to be confronted by an owner if a dog did have a break out or reaction.

I use Grimeinator all the time now for dirty dogs. I used to think it had a medicine like smell, but I have fallen in love with it and it's my main shampoo now.

If I had absolutely no shampoo or conditioner left, I would use baby shampoo by Johnson's and pantene conditioner or shampoo. I wouldn't use suave conditioner because it seems to strip all the natural oils out, my own hair can't tolerate it.

But first I would go to my local pet supply store and see what they had first.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                    I once saw a "old time" mobile groomer on a local news show state that he used Ivory liquid soap instead of shampoo! He actaully said this on TV! Said he'd been doing it for 25 years and never had a single complaint.....what do you think?? Ever use thsi on a dog?? I use dawn for greesy dogs (esp Golden ears after ear infection meds!) I don't think I'd use Ivroy saop, it would save lots of $$ though!
                    Yep, sure have. I groomed an oncologist's dog with Ivory every three days for several years. They had a prescription regime from the doggie dermatologists at Ohio State University Vet School of Ivory liquid soap, then an alcohol soak followed by water rinse and Ivory human hair conditioner. The dog had a totally trashed immune system but it really did help.

Comment

Originally posted by gitl View Post
                      I've used Dawn on really bad dirty feet and never saw a problem. As for conditioner, why is human conditioner bad? I've never used it, but just curious.
                      Yeah, I'm curious too. I have used my own conditioner on my own hair in the past. Not Suave though.
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Dawn Antibacterial

Originally posted by resident_hector View Post
                        Does anyone do this?
                        Just wondering.
                        I use Dawn antibacterial soap on greasy cocker ears and such. If you read it it had an ingrediant of Triclosan. I use a Triclosan shampoo for dogs with problems with bacteria.
                        I also had a client insist that I use her Pantene shampoo and conditioner on her dogs. It actually worked great. I also know people who show that use Pantene on their dogs.
                        As for me, I just use dog and cat shampoo as a rule. But if a customer insists and brings their own shampoo I do not object. They also get charged the same price.

Comment

At the school I went to, we used Dawn on dogs that had long, dropped ears to get the grime and grease out... worked like a charm. I've seen, in those documentaries, Dawn used on birds and animals that were caught in oil slicks.

We also used a diluted human grade shampoo as a 'prewash' on those dogs that were really, really dirty. We the followed it with a good quality shampoo tthough. None of the dogs had any issues with it.

Comment

The groomer who trained me always used Ivory, followed with a diluted vinegar rinse. Seemed to work just fine, but after awhile the smell of Ivory started to get to me.

Of course - I'm one of those wierd folks who has to switch shampoos every so often because what smelled good at one time suddenly stinks.

Comment

There is a grooming shop by me that uses Dawn and watered down Downy fabric softener as conditioner.

Ivory soap is one of the strongest soap based shampoos, that would concern me.

As far as Degreaser made for Dogs- FT Labortories makes the best and does even better than Dawn... believe it or not :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X