dog shampoo for a cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog shampoo for a cat?

okay...i need to give my cat a bath sometime soon. he has some dandruff on his back LOL! and all i have at home is ol roy dog shampoo! LMAO YES I KNOW! OL ROY! hahaha...well...would dog shampoo designed for dogs be safe to use on a cat even if i rinse it EXTREMELY well?
    just curious or if i should bring home cat shampoo (if i can find it at my fiance's house).
    thanks guys!
    Hound

Personally I would bring home some shampoo that is designated safe for cats. I especially wouldn't use Ol Roy (yikes! hehe) on my kitty. Have you looked at the ingredients to see if there is anything that pops up as unsafe for kitties like coal tar or what the percentage of pyrethrenes is? I don't know when in doubt err on the side of caution and bring home other shampoo.
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

You should only use shampoo that says it is safe for cats
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If doesn't say it's safe to use on cats, I wouldn't use it. It probably wouldn't do any harm, but you never know. Cats are extremely sensitive to some things, especially some plant extracts and essential oils. The oils absorb through the skin as well as being inhaled, and their livers lack a necessary enzyme to break them down.

Comment

I'd rather use Dawn or Baby Shampoo, than Old Roy. If not then run to the store and get something for cats.
          Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

okie dokie ill bring home some kitty shampoo. we bought generic kitty shampoo at walmart (do you know how hard it is to find cat shampoo!??!! i cant even find any at the petstore!). it worked nicely though.
            i get to bathe my fiance's cats too this weekend...his dad and his dads g.f both smoke in the house so they stink like cigs (yuckk). im looking foreward to this event LOL!
            Hound

Comment

If it doesn't SAY on the label that it's safe for cats, I wouldn't use it on a cat. It's okay to use a product labeled for cats on a dog, but cats have so many more sensitivities, plus they groom themselves a lot more fastidiously than dogs and are more likely to ingest product residue....

Comment

No No NO if it doesn't say safe for cats, do not use it.
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                X