nicking a pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicking a pad

how do you get it to stop bleeding,it was a teeny tiny little nick i could bearly see,but it bled like heck,and it was a white doggy,i felt so bad,his pads were matted,thats how i nicked it,but i freak at the sight of blood,and the owner was toatally cool about it,and so was the cute little doggy
    any ideas,what do you all use
    thanks
    trish

They really do bleed - don't they!!

I had a helper in a couple days a week last summer, the first time I let her scissor feet - she cut a cocker's pad - just a tiny little hole out of it... boy did it bleed!! My helper had done the SAME thing to her own dog, a Bouvier and she said the vet didn't stitch it and just cleaned it up and left it. That's what we did with this Cocker - just left it - of course we applied pressure with a towel and cleaned it up.. the owner was cool... but wondered if the pad would grow back... the dog had a little white spot there for a couple months... then back to normal!!

Comment

I recently took a canine first aid course taught by our local vet & she said even they use super glue. Apparently you cannot even stitch a pad, even for a serious cut.

Comment

Styptic powder or like Helly has reccomended Sivler Nitrate sticks that she gets from the vet.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

oh i was trimming my cats pads with regular scissors. well...he moved his foot as i was snipping hair and he didnt cry or anything. just jerked his foot away. well i didnt notice anything...and then i noticed the blood. oh boy did it bleed LOL! got my sis to hold him and i applied kwik stop...and looked at it later that night and it just looked like a scrape. thats it. nothing to it. id just apply kwik stop and if it is STILL bleeding...then id just keep applying pressure to it until it stops bleeding.
          thats just my opionin
          Hound

Comment

I will generally put pressure on it, make sure it is disinfected, and then when the bleeding is a little lighter put a little styptic on it. Since it's on the foot it's easy for them to scrape it back open, so I will usually put them back in the cage for a little bit to calm them down, and hopefully keep it from bleeding again.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I nicked apad in grooming school. I used super glue to stop the bleeding.

Comment

I use pressure and Silver Nitrate sticks I got from the Vet.

Comment

I use super glue or silver nitrate sticks.. Those things work wonders.... Just be careful, they have expiration dates. They will not stop being effective after that date.
                  Last edited by Raggs; 03-05-07, 02:09 PM. Reason: had to ad a word
                  Becky

Comment

Clean it well, apply pressure, then apply skin glue. You'll have to still hold the paw for a little while to make sure it binds. I've cut a dog's pad before, and yeah, it bleeds like crazy!

Comment

I was told never to use styptic powder on a puncture wound or on a cut made by scissoring that it could actually make it worse. I don't know why though...dumb me didn't ask for an expaination. I do know that it sure does sting, maybe that's why?
                      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

The simplest way to deal with a nicked pad is to put a dry cotton ball on the table and have the dog stand on it while you work on the opposite foot. If you're already done with the feet, just hold the opposite foot up for a few minutes, so the dog keeps his weight on the foot with the cut. It should stop bleeding pretty quickly. Then I gently pull the cotton ball away. Part of it will stick to the pad; leave that alone. Finish the dog and put him in a crate. You probably won't need to do anything else with it.

But do check to be sure it's not bleeding when you release the dog. And be sure to tell the owner.

Comment

silver nitrate..no groomer should be without it! its fantastic, just don't get it on your skin..you have to wear it off! lol

Comment

Can groomers buy silver nitrate sticks or do you have to get them from a vet?

Comment

i heard silver nitrate can be very messy,and im suck a clutz,im scared that i will get it everwhere,on me the dog,it wouldnt on me,but it does matter if i get it on the dog,is this true??

Comment

Working...
                              X