No announcement yet.

Groom it, because I'm not coming back..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groom it, because I'm not coming back..

It isn't April 1st yet, but I felt I am pretty much there...
    This afternoon I had a woman came into my shop, asked me how much for a F/G on a Portugese Water Dog puppy. I told her I stopped taking new big dogs and she answered " She is only 20 pounds now, not a big dog, and I am NOT coming back for the next grooming anyway, so you can groom her. "
    I had never seen this woman before, and I certainly didn't see a point to F/G a PWD puppy because it won't come back for the next grooming. ????
    Anyway, I hold my jaw back and nicely told her to try other groomers.
    What would you do? What do you think?

Did you ask her why, did she only intended to have it groomed once?

I would've asked do you mean your only having itt groomed this once?

Maybe she was grooming it and giving it to someone else?

Maybe she was angry because you sad you weren't taking anymore big dogs and that was her way of responding.

Don't know, some people say such strange things they catch me off guard for the moment but can always think of something to say later.
    Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 02-28-07, 09:59 AM.

Comment

maybe she's moving to FL

This could be the wrong approach but,
      I don't place much priority on people who aren't going to need my services fulltime.
      Lots of snow birds here and I need to earn income in the other 6 months when they have returned up north too.

If someone tells you upfront, be thankful for their honesty and then decide if it's worth your time.

Erica

Comment

I would have taken her money and done the job. If they say they are not comming back before you even do the job, you know you are not the reason, so take their money and kick them in the butt on the way out the door lol.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
          I would have taken her money and done the job. If they say they are not comming back before you even do the job, you know you are not the reason, so take their money and kick them in the butt on the way out the door lol.
          I agree...well maybe not with the kicking of the butt part...lol

I probably would have just groomed it.
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

hummmm

Thats one good reason not to post your price in the front of your shop,
            and one reason I would have never told you that.
            You could basicly charge her any price, cause even if she is miffed over it,
            shes not coming back anyhow.
            Not a good idea from a consumers standpoint.

Comment

Not coming back? Hmmm--time for prepay and a REALLY creative haircut!

Comment

I would have turned her away. There's not point in making a file and filling out a card for a dog that you know will never come back again. You stuck with your guns, you did it right.
                Becky

Comment

I would have done it, you never know if it just might be back again. I get a few of these in the summer of people passing by or staying across the street at the motel and may never see them again.
                  One day a lady called and said she wanted her dog groomed and her best friend told her to call me cause when they were in town this real nice groomer across the street took the time to groom her dog for her.
                  So it pays to be friendly and helpful to strangers you may never see again.
                  That's why we are groomers.

Comment

If I had the time available, I'd probably groom the puppy. Makes you wonder why she'd say something like that. Maybe she's moving far away. OH well.

Comment

I would

I would groom the dog for sure.

There is never a guarantee that someone will come back.
                      Stuff happens.
                      Why skip the money?

Comment

Couldn't get an earlier appt. at another shop?

Maybe she couldn't get an earlier apt. at another shop? Seen that before. I would've taken her money and smiled.

Comment

It makes no sense to turn it away unless you are too busy already. So what if you don't do large dogs. It's only 20 lbs now. As long as she understands that you won't be available to groom it when it grows up then there is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                            I would have done it, you never know if it just might be back again. I get a few of these in the summer of people passing by or staying across the street at the motel and may never see them again.
                            One day a lady called and said she wanted her dog groomed and her best friend told her to call me cause when they were in town this real nice groomer across the street took the time to groom her dog for her.
                            So it pays to be friendly and helpful to strangers you may never see again.
                            That's why we are groomers.
                            That is exactly why I would have done it. Never know who that person is going to talk to and I'd rather be known as the nice groomer than the not so nice groomer. lol But really, that customer may have sent others to you, never can tell.
                            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              That is exactly why I would have done it. Never know who that person is going to talk to and I'd rather be known as the nice groomer than the not so nice groomer. lol But really, that customer may have sent others to you, never can tell.
                              Very true, even if she doesn't use your services again, she may send someone else your way!
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X