FROMM shears vs. MONK shears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FROMM shears vs. MONK shears

Anybody got an opinion? I have that $50 that I won for the shampoo lady, was heavily thinking of getting a curved pair of monks (8.5") because I use my curves a lot and have dropped them a few times, would be nice to have a back-up pair, even if not the "best" like my Crocodiles that I like so much.

So, anyone got an opinion?

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

GIRL!!! You ain't spent that $$ yet?!!!

I have both and don't know that I could tell the difference.

Both of mine are of older stock tho.

I'd like the hear what the BladeGuyz think.

Erica

Comment

spikey if you can get the monks defiantly do!! I do know of a very inexpensive good quality back up set of curves if you choose neither

Comment

The dog never looks the same

Does anyone have a dog that they do that looks different everytime they do it, even though you use the same blade and think you're doing it the same way? I have one of these and its driving me nuts! I'd say I'm pretty consistent when grooming most of the dogs I do, but this one little maltese/poodle mix never comes out the same.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I'd definately pick the Monks over the Fromm.

Comment

monks

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
              Does anyone have a dog that they do that looks different everytime they do it, even though you use the same blade and think you're doing it the same way? I have one of these and its driving me nuts! I'd say I'm pretty consistent when grooming most of the dogs I do, but this one little maltese/poodle mix never comes out the same.
              Furry, not sure, was this supposed to be in this thread? LOL, I'll answer your question regardless!

I have that happen ALL the time. For me it's just being a new groomer and still learning what happens when I angle my shears a certain way, etc...eventually I'll become more consistent. I hope.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I've never tried Fromm, but Monks for me all the way!
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

Monks

Comment

I ordered the MONKS, thank you everyone. I ordered the 8.5" curved ones, as I used my curves a lot and when they hit the floor, well...you know. So I'd like to have another pair. I do have a pair of Roseline curves but I don't care for them---they don't cut nearly as smoothly.

I also ordered a 7 Skip Tooth blade.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

In my experience with both brands (M onks and Fromm) I wouldnt buy either right now because they aren't what they used to be.

Ever since Carl Monkhouse filed chapter 13, the buisness went into the hands of a subsidiary of Groomers choice. These folks sublet the manufaturing out to some low level manufacturer who is using cheaper metal. If you are a Monk user and have been for years, you'll note that the Monks today feel cheap, and they are.

Fromms seem to rust now and they have a "pressed" pivot screw unless you spend some bucks on one. Years ago they were a fantastic shear but now are madecheaper.

If you have bought Monks and Fromms in the last 5 to 7 years you got the cheap versions, if you purchased them 8 to 10 years ago you go the great ones. If your happy with them thats the main thing, not if they are better than anything else. I know groomers that have only experienced the new Monks and think they are the cats meow. Others who have been Monk owners for 25 years have bought the new ones and immediately put them on Ebay.

Gators are a good choice because they havent lowered the metal standard as the others have, and they are made in the USA. They are expensive but the good metal is worth it.

I dont carry Monks or Fromms anymore because of the difference, Ive moved to Justwright and Wolff shears. These two brands are made of good metal, made in america, and are inexpensive. They fit your hand perfectly ad will last years if you dont let the beauty shop guy sharpen them with his flathone (grinds more metal off than what the Blade Guyz use).

Shears are a funny thing to recommend to someone as well. A shear that someone absolutley loves may not fit another persons hand or needs. The best thing to actually do when you want to change scissor styles is to go to a show someplace with a piece of Faux Fur from WallMart and start trying the differdent brands. This way you eliminate the ones that dont fit or feel right in your hand saving you alot of money and grief.

Buying shears by using other groomers opinions is not good and here is a story about that.

A groomer from the east coast bought a pair of shears for $130 that everyone on this BBS was talking about and recommending. She got them and started using them to find they didnt cut right to her. She sent them to me with her sharpening order with a note saying they are new and didnt cut very well. To me, they cut great and I even used them in the shop on cockers and I felt they were a fantastic shear. I sharpened them anyways, tested them in the shop to make sure they were good, and shipped them back. She called me on the phone later and said they still didnt cut good. What do I do now?????
                      I assumed that the shear did not fit her hand and cutting style very well, this can make a difference in the cut. So I offered her a deal, I sent her a Wolff 112 curved with a bent handle along with $50 and said if she liked the shears to mail me the other ones and we'd be square. Two weeks later I got her old shears and the nicest thank you note I ever got. Needless to say, I never got to use her old shears, a groomer in my shop neede a pair very badly.

This is just a story about how buying shears off recommendations or "hipe" can turn out to be disasterous sometimes, especially if the sales are final and your stuck with them. Most times it works out great, but other times it doesnt and then the shears get bad press.

This is just my opinion, so please dont go out and not purchase Monks or Fromms, they might be the best shear in your kit.

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

NOOOOOOOOW you tell me, Jeff! AFTER I order them? LOL...grrrr...

Well, I'll try them and see. What can I do, they're already ordered, lol. How long ago did Monkhaus file Chapter 13?

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                        X