Old English Sheepdog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old English Sheepdog

I have never goomed one of these before. Customer says it is a house dog but has not been groomed for 8 months and of course it has a few matts. If it is really bad, hydro clip or dry clip? I have the three steps of Best Shots Shampoo, conditioner and spray on. Do you think I will be able to use my products and hv out and brush out. Thanks for your input.

I used to do an OES every 3 weeks, that thing always came in matted. If it's been 8 months you most likely will have to shave it. Unless the owner combs it every day.

Wet shave would work better, large dog, will get done quicker. Good luck.
    Becky

Comment

I agree w/Raggs. I have 5 regular OES's and if they are late for an appt their coats are a MESS. I can't imagine trying to dematt one that hasn't been groomed for 8 months. They have such a soft, easily matted coat, not to mention that they don't typically have the type of personalities that will tolerate hours of dematting. It's almost spring, buzz that bugger....lol
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

May God be with you.

Make sure you evaluate that dog very very well before the owners leave. Don't just look it over briefly. Look under the outer coat, lift the coat and look at the sides, belly, inside of legs and chest. they may tell you they brush and there are no mats and it looks good but underneath may be a total pelted nightmare. If there is matting you must shave it off, do not offer to attempt to brush it out unless they are paying an hourly rate and even then....only if the dog can stand it. If the pelting is there ABORT ABORT. 8 months, OMG. I can only imagine the horrors that may await you.

Comment

I just did one today that was last done in December and he was a mess. I ended up wet shaving with a 4F (5F on the inside of the legs). I had to demat his head but then did that with a 0 reverse (sides of face had to be shaved with a 4 as well). I rounded up his face as much as I could. You know...they're alot of work.
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I swear I have sucker engraved on my forehead. I advertise I do large dogs. Darn I think I get every large bad dog within a 50 mile radius. Good money but a lot of work! Think I'll try wet shaving. Tried this on 2 nefies and wet shaving was very tuff. Little afraid to try it on the old english.

Comment

Well got the job down in 3 1/4 hrs. Matted but not skin tight. I have to say Best Shots supplies seemed to help with the matts. Let them set a full 5 minutes, hv everytime and the matts did pull away from the skin so I could brush/comb out. A lot of work, though. He paid me well. We made an app't. for 4 weeks, hope the dog is in better shape. Told him he has to help brush/comb or I will have to shave the next time. To hard on dog and ME. The dog was great.

Comment

Good job. You did more than I would have. I spent an hour trying to brush out a dog once, got one leg down. Called the owner and told them their pooch has to be shaved.
                Becky

Comment

Working...
                X