Confirming Appointments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming Appointments?

I was curious as to how many people confirm appointments. I have to say that IMO it could go two ways. Sometimes you may prevent someone missing an aapointment if they had forgotten they made one. This could help them to make sure they are available. I can see how that would be an advantage. I am also considering another theory. I think that sometimes people taking that confirmation call another way. If they make an appointment it is an appointment. I think some people see the confirmation call as ... Well you made an appointment and now we are calling to see if you still want it. (As if it were only a tentative appointment until they make their final decision through a confirmation call) I know there are situations where regular Mrs Smith may be forgetfull and appreciate the call. This may in fact make a forgetfull person follow through with the groom. I get that. In that situation I think a confirmation call is wonderful. I am wondering how many of you only confirm by request. In other words, Mrs Jones asks for the reminder so she doesn't forget. How many of you only do that?

I confirm every appaointment the night before. I have little to no no show or reschedules.

Comment

My dentist, doctor, chiropractor and ophthamologist all make reminder calls. So I make reminder calls. It's a courtesy, and I think people view it as such. The only time I don't make reminder calls is if the person made the appointment that day. I would expect them to remember they made an appointment for tomorrow. But it seems those are the people who forget, lol.

Comment

I always do confirmation calls 1 to 2 days ahead. If the appt was made less than a week away, I do not call. I have never had someone say they don't want it anymore, but if it was made several weeks in advance, they will sometimes need to move it to a diff day or time, etc. When making
        EACH appt I ALWAYS tell the client that if anything changes in their schedule, please call me ahead of time. I have only had a couple of last min. cancellations.

Comment

I wouldn't be offended

I am so... glad when people call me to confirm an appointment cause a lot of times I wouldn't remember. Most people are grateful and some people will have forgotten especially if they made the appointment a while a go. They may have not be able to make it, that will give you time to plan accordingly and schedule someone else.

Comment

we call every client the day before to confirm. if they need to cancel the appointment then you ask them when they would like to reschedule. regular clients will get use to the reminder and really appreciate it!

Comment

We confirm every appointment the day before, unless they made the appointment that day. Most are grateful for the call, and a lot do say, "oh , I almost forgot!". Occasionally I will get someone seem a little impatient about it, though. I consider it a courtesy, and am happy to do it. After all my dentist, and doctor, even my hairstylist call me the day before to remind me, and I always appreciate it.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I always call 1-2 days to remind the client, cuts down on no shows. Only had one regular who actually forgot even thought I had called the night before and she wasn't home when I showed up. She had to call to reschedule.. and she was VERY apologetic.

Comment

Do not make reminder calls

I do not make reminder calls. I used to and STILL had people not show. After taking the time and still having no shows I stopped.
                  My take on this is that my clients are adults and can take the responsibility of showing up for their appointment. I do not have a secretary like doctors do and it takes time away from grooming.
                  After charging a nominal no show fee I went into charging for the whole fee they booked. My time is as important as theirs and they booked me for said amont of money. I have a sign posted and it is written on their cards. I will let it go once or in emergencies. I bend over backwards for my clients and open on days I am supposed to be closed to fit them in or "squeeze them in" last minute. I do not think it is asking too much for them to show up for an appointment.
                  I have had ONE person refuse to pay the nominal fee and nobody refused the whole fee...go figure. The person who refused to pay ended up putting his dog in the trunk of his car when he left! So he was told to find another groomer. I have also gone down on the fee to appease some people who booked multiple dogs and did not show. You can ALWAYS go down on the fee. Other groomers in the area also have the same policy.
                  My take is that there are plenty of other groomers who will tolerate constant no show fees, I am not one of them. I also refuse to overbook to compensate and have EVERYBODY show up and keep the dogs there for long periods of time.

Comment

I'm mobile and I always make reminder calls. The customers really appreciate it. I usually do it on Sunday for the entire week because during the week it's too difficult. It's a pain in the butt but so worth it. The one person I didn't call (just too tired and didn't feel like calling) wasn't home. She forgot. Learned my lesson. It pays to make reminder calls.
                    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I've had a lot fewer no-shows by doing reminder calls, and those that STILL no-show me will pay my no-show fee for their next appointment (it will be applied to the price of the groom if they show up, if they don't, it's mine). When I call, I just tell them, "This is a courtesy REMINDER call that you have an appt. to have Fluffy groomed tomorrow at 8 am, we'll see you then." I don't say, "We're calling to see if you'er still coming tomorrow, etc..."

I agree with Scissorhands that people are adults, and there are many points on both sides of the fence (if you'd even call it "sides of the fence"), but it really depends on your circumstances. I've found that it works for me---people are busy and appreciate a reminder call sometimes.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Always call the day before. It is a courtesy, as helly said, and people appreciate it. As John Stazco said in one of his seminars, it helps to create 'customer dependence'. And don't we want those clients to depend on us!!? Also very professional IMO.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I've always wanted to confirm appointments but that's hard to do when you work 10-8 with nearly NO BREAKS and go go go all day.
                          I'm the only person with VERY limited assistance from front store staff that are NOT very dog savvy.
                          Frustrating !
                          I'm cutting back to four days a week now because it's exhausting !

Comment

Thanks to the responses!

Wow I am amazed. I have to say that I wasn't completely conviced at first. I appreciate that person(sorry Im not looking at the post) who said they are adults and such, speaking up. I appreciate when I dont only hear popular opinion. Thanks for that.

I wasn't quite convinced that I would want customers that I wouldnt have unless I called them. Its almost an insult. In other words, you have no problem wasting my time. Add on that I could have made money during this time that you (a customer) reserved me for. Do you see what I mean? I don't like that angle. I don't want to have that kind of attitude. I am sure you have all felt that on a no show at some point.

So what really made me decide that it is worth it to confirm? Well the concept that you really do want your customers to depend on you for Fi Fi's grooming so it makes since to cconfirm. Its very true that it goes hand in hand. You either want them to depend on you or you dont. Helly I like that curtesy call wording. That really makes it a nice way of saying I DO expect you. I think its also more professional sounding then the average confirmation call.

To the person who doesnt confirm I want to say I am not at all telling you that you are incorrect or wrong in ANY way. The fact is.. if you are too busy to make confirmation calls.. you are probably in such demand that a no show would be a welcomed breather! I envy that. I am sure everyone appreciates a breather when they are super busy.

I thank you all. This is a great board. I am not the person who does confirmation calls at work. I hate to say that even confirmed appointments dont show half of the time. I am thinking that being we are corporate people dont see it as a personal slight. They must think we have dogs in a waiting room just hoping someone doesnt show! lol. Of course we just start cleaning or something. Its so funny. It seems the people who simply HAVE to get an appointment by tomorrow..Fi Fi is a messsss.... these are the very people who don't show. Go figure.

Comment

I call

though the confirm wording is not what I feel I do. Just a reminder call. The first time with a new customer I say to the customer that I call the day before with a reminder, unless they wish me not to. Not had a person say no, but I could see someone thinking like it was said, I'm an adult, I know when the appt. is. After having many no shows in the past, it is worth it to make a few second call per customer. But confirm, well, it is mostly answering machines. There was a huge thread on this newer board regarding reminder calls and it was interesting. I have had people call back and say Oh My Gosh, I have a doctors appointment, can we reschedule or such.
                              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X