Shavin' by the Pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shavin' by the Pound

It's spring here where I am. And here they come...the summer shavedowns. You know the ones... they look out into the back yard for the first time in months and say..."Oh my gosh...there's a DOG out there". I've been trying for years to come up with a fair and equal price for shaving these bedraggled urchins. This year I'm going with a "by the pound" price. Pricing is the same across the board (with a minimum) except for Husky or "Husky-like" coats. The are still by the pound but at a higher rate. Anyone else using this method? How did it work for you?

I am mobile, and i use that method on any dog over 40 lbs for bathing and then I add $20 for shaving, so that makes sense to me for the shop.

Comment

I prefer charging by the hour. Charging by the pound could back-fire on you. Two dogs, same weight, one takes an hour and a half, the other takes three. Someone's getting the short end of the stick. Charge for the amount of time it takes, and it's fair to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by FozEBear View Post
        It's spring here where I am. And here they come...the summer shavedowns. You know the ones... they look out into the back yard for the first time in months and say..."Oh my gosh...there's a DOG out there". I've been trying for years to come up with a fair and equal price for shaving these bedraggled urchins. This year I'm going with a "by the pound" price. Pricing is the same across the board (with a minimum) except for Husky or "Husky-like" coats. The are still by the pound but at a higher rate. Anyone else using this method? How did it work for you?
        I don't have anything to add that wasn't already said, but, this made my coffee nearly come out my nose! ...there's a DOG out there... Oh my! He he he.

Comment

I agree w/ Helly. Some of these dogs are only 40lbs but SO thick and time consuming! Whats your base price?

In my area I am starting to see them also. I am bracing myself like I am about to run a 10 mile marathon. LOL

Comment

Got my first call just a minute ago . My strategy to quote ridiculously high paid off...they gasped and said they would call around for a better price.

Comment

2 Nicks on a tiny schnauzer Ear.

This morning didn't go well. I arrived an hour early, but usually it is at 10, not 11AM. I groomed Heidis' Max firt, a shave ok. I have grooomed hin for years with no problems. Then her moms tiny Black Schnauzer, Lucy. This woman has dresses for her, fancy bed, you name it. Well, it is Lucys' 2nd groom. She flinches when I bring the clippers near her ears. Tiny cropped things. Yep, I nicked thay lil thing in 2 places. You know how they bleed. I applied pressure, kept on. I bathed her and tried cool water, liquid quick stop. Two cauterizers that don't work. Eventually the mom came out thinking she must be finished. I told her and she was concerned. I then put liquid bandge that stopped it enough if you didn't mess with it. I advised puttng her outside or in crate, as shaking head would make little blood dots everywhere.She paid me and I left feeling bad. I did mention how I have had Zac for years w/ no problem and that of all dogs, Lucy or Zac would be ones I would be most careful with. I probably didn't loose Zac. Also, she wanted me to get info on Chinese crested breeders near by. I forgot info I had...not happy I didn't come thru with info either. Not really my job, but I tried QUESTION What stops those bloody ear tips fastest and cleanest? I kept thinking if only I had a cauterizer.I know that works even tho HOT and not my first choice. In a shop, at least you have time to get it to stop and then clean it. Quick stop does not work there and only makes a big mess. I know some use crazy glue, if I did I would probably glue myself to the dog in my panic. haha.

Comment

I agree w/Helly too. I have had some little guys w/body casts and wrap around matts that have taken me longer to do than other big shave downs. I think charging for your time instead of the animals weight is the best way to keep from getting your wallet bitten...lol
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

I agree, charge for time not for weight. I had a mini poodle with cast like mats on his front legs. It took me a #40 and and hour per leg. The poor dog was skin and bones so I took my time so I wouldn't slice him up. Then my old boss, another groomer and I all shaved down a obese Malamute. It took a lot of time to shave this poor thing down. 3 people working on it took over an hour just for one side.
                  Becky

Comment

Charge by time

I charge a base rate which includes 20 minutes of brushing or dematting. Anything more than 20 minutes to demat incures a fee per every 15 minutes. I don't know if I can say what the fee is on this board, but you get the point. Brush your dog or pay me to do it, either way, I get paid for my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X