Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits of Requiring Vaccinations (LOL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of Requiring Vaccinations (LOL)

Ok, so this has been a debate on and off, and personally it's up to you, but I thought I'd share with you all MY experience today. LOL, vaccinations saved me from a nightmare dog.

I get this call and the man wants to know what I charge for a "Cockapoo." I give him the schpeel about it being a mixed breed so it's hard to know exactly until I actually SEE the dog...bla bla bla...

After all that talking, he says, "Well, how much is it to sedate the dog?" (HUH?!) "We took it to PetCo and the groomer there said it moved to much." I said, "Did it try to bite her?" "Well, yes, she did try to bite the groomer..." UGH. I told them that I use the Groomers Helper and as long as the dog doesn't really bite in the face area, I can probably groom it without sedation, but it's hard to tell" bla bla bla. I then asked, "Well, I wonder, when was the last time he was groomed before this?" "OH 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO." = : O Oh my heck! Oh, but he "cut most of the mats out with scissors." YIKES!

He decides to make an appointment for next Tuesday. We hang up. Then it dawns on me that I forgot to ask about Vaccinations which our animal hospital REQUIRES for all pets, as I noticed AFTER the fact that the dog only had rabies. "Oh, no, we can't afford them right now, so we'll schedule with you later." Alrighty then!

Phhheewwww!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

vaccinations...and MY dog

LOL! I personally do not vaccinate my dog for anything...EXCEPT rabies. he doesnt go anywhere so he really has no chance of catching anything. plus hes fed a nice raw diet...so hes pretty healthy. heck...if he can carry off a dead mourning dove (who knows if he killed it!) and get over the sickness bug (we thought it was something he ate...maybe a shrimp or a popcorn chicken bite that was seasoned) after a few days im not really worried about him picking up something. so therefore i dont feel the need to vaccinate him. Now i have a friend who has 4 rotties and an aussie x who only vaccinates the 2 rotties that go to the hospital for therapy work...the other dogs go like this...rex is in agility and does therapy work. he is about 8 1.2 yrs old. hasnt had any vaccs except what was required for therapy work. semi retired. champ hasnt had any vaccs. since she got him i believe...except rabies which is required by law. he dosnt do agility hes a couch potatoe. marley (2 1/2 yrs old) gets rabies only and is also in agility. he is the aussie mix. mofasa is the puppy...about 1 1/2 yrs old..also only gets rabies....until he starts therapy work (im not sure if he has or not so i cannot be sure about the other vaccs.) she also has a katrina rescue rottie...dont know much about this dog as she is kind of odd LOL! therefore i am not for really vaccinating unless the dog is exposed to all sorts of stuff on a constant basis. as for the guy not being able to afford the shots...well theres your answer. LOL! i wouldnt groom that cocker if i were you!
    LOL
    Hound

Comment

I know how you feel. I work at a animal hospital also and we require updated shot history to be brought in or the shots to be given the day of the groom. Alot of people do what your client did. Hey if they would only understand that it is for our safety as well as the dogs! I don't understand why people don't vaccinate their dog? Would they consider not vaccinating their children because it is to expensive? I had the pleasure of having to go through the whole rabies series of shots back in 2004 due to a bite and I don't wish that on anyone!! It was a total of 7 shots given over a 3 week period. Man did it HURT!!

Comment

Ditto on that story Tammy. I cant tell you how many OAY grooms change their minds when they hear they have to have Rabies, kennel cough, DHPC, updated fecal (within the yr) and an exam within the yr. I rarely get severely matted animals in for grooming anymore. Of course if you are starting out and need those OAY incomes I guess it would be a bad thing.

Personally I think the Fecal is a bit much to require but they started that when they had a huge outbreak of diareah in the kennel a couple years back and it ended up being something preventable. I don't remember what. good god what a mess that was.

Comment

I agree that the fecal is a bit much. For one, a fecal done months ago doesn't amount to much protection. The dog could walk out of the clinic door and pick up hooks from bird droppings in the parking lot. He could go home and pick up giardia from deer droppings or standing water. He could get tapes from fleas. Coccidia can be anywhere. And a dog with a negative fecal can still have hooks and whips...they don't always show up the first time.

Comment

Tammy, I "dodged the bullet" last week because I told the perspective client I needed proof of up-to-date rabies vaccs.

This man called me last Wed and said he had a 8 YR OLD Shelty that had NEVER been groomed. He was referred to me by my friend who groomes out of a vet clinic....thanks Tina...lol... I was wondering why he wasn't taking the dog to her, but figured it was cost. Nope, it must have been vaccines because he called to cancel his Friday appt. That was no suprise either. When I told him I required proof of rabies there was a loooooong pause, and he said he would need to ask his wife. I even told him if I had the vets name I could call to verify, again he said he needed to check w/the wife.

Oh well, I guess that poor thing will have to go another 8 yrs w/out a professional grooming.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I've received many calls from people thinking that because I'm a mobile groomer that I would not require their dogs to have their shots. I hear things like...."(insert name of shop) won't do Fluffy because he's not up to date on his shots, so I'd like to make an appointment with you", What are people thinking?
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I can't tell you how many timses I took an appointment, and then after they hung up I remembered that we require proof of rabies!
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Proof of Vaccination

I do not require proof of vaccinations. As far as I know it is only the Petsomethings in my area that do. Most new clients show up with their vaccination paperwork in hand anyway. In my state it is the law that dogs be vaccinated for rabies. I just don't consider myself to be a regulatory agency and feel it is necessary to take such a stance. In severe cases when someone shows up with a dog that looks like it hasn't seen a groomer in years I will ask, but it is not policy.

Comment

Helly,

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately once bitten twice shy. The way the management feels is that they are doing EVERYTHING humanly possible to prevent these things so if it happens they cant possibly be blamed.

If I could change the fecal rule I would but I guess thats one of the drawbacks of not working for yourself. Course there are lots of benefits too

Comment

Originally posted by SCISSORHANDS View Post
                      I do not require proof of vaccinations. As far as I know it is only the Petsomethings in my area that do. Most new clients show up with their vaccination paperwork in hand anyway. In my state it is the law that dogs be vaccinated for rabies. I just don't consider myself to be a regulatory agency and feel it is necessary to take such a stance. In severe cases when someone shows up with a dog that looks like it hasn't seen a groomer in years I will ask, but it is not policy.

I guess the thing I realized through all of this is that I was able to "dodge the bullet" as someone said because I DO require them. I have weeded out a few bad clients (don't get their dogs groomed often enough or the dog is a NUT JOB with PIRAHNA TEETH, lol), and so if I ever own my own shop, it will be required---for that reason, lol. Rabies is required by law like you said, but because I'm at an animal hospital, it's best they are vaccinated, I suppose their chances of catching something at an animal hospital are higher.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by jovi View Post
                        I had the pleasure of having to go through the whole rabies series of shots back in 2004 due to a bite and I don't wish that on anyone!! It was a total of 7 shots given over a 3 week period. Man did it HURT!!
                        I've known several people who've had to get the shots....I don't want to be one of them.
                        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                        X