Shop Dog or Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Dog or Cat

We are getting a puppy and I have envisioned my puppy/dog coming to work with me all the time and enjoying the atmosphere as much as I do.

Am I at all dillusional in thinking this is going to be the perfect scenario?

Any comments, things I should watch out for? Bad habits that can picked up?

i guess it depends on the individual pet. My local vet has an office cat that lays on the front desk all day and could care less what dog or person disterbs him. i have a schnauzer that comes in for grooming at my shop and i swear she would sleep all day underneath my front desk if i'd let her.

Comment

At my old shop, we had two shop cats that lived at the shop, Thomas and Tabitha. Tabitha loved people and dogs. When a customer would come through the door, Tabitha would go up to them and rub on them. If the dog didnt like her, she would clean his face.We had to lock her in the other room if we were working on a dog because she would be trying to clean the dog while we were clipping it. The new dogs would just freeze. They didnt know what the hell she was doing. Everything with her was perfect except.... she was a thief. People thought it was cute that she would sit in their purse, but we caught her taking credit cards. We found a sign that said, Watch out for the Cat.

Sio

Comment

My girlfriend takes her Austr. Cattle dog to work with her every day. he is still a pup only 7 months old. He does really well and loves being at the shop. Only problem is he loves to eat cat hair and nail clipping lol
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

We, too, have a hospital cat that lays around on the front desk of the hospital...he almost looks fake! We get so many compliments on that cat.

I went to an inservie meeting at work once, and a hospital cat (or shop cat) is really good for the customer service----but you do have to watch for the dogs that are aggressive, as I have heard of shop cats/animal hospital cats dying this way. I can't believe Puffy (Puffball) has lived to this ripe old age of 12. He was abandoned at our animal hospital nearly 12 years ago.

Here's a photo:
          Attached Files
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

LOL This is my shop, my dog! The pug goes with me to work a whole lot! Somedays I say "wanna go to work with mommy" and she says "no, I'll sleep all day on the bed if you don't mind!" She really likes all incomming dogs with FLAT faces. She runs and plays all day, loving ever minute until I pick up a grooming lead and step towards her. Then she is sooooo sad, ears go flat, tail goes down & she knows she's gonna get a bath! She HATES it. Of course, MY dog is the worst to groom! She hates the bath, the dryers, the haircut, & the dremmel . She has had a bath every week since she was 9 weeks old, her nails have never been clipped (only dremmeled) and still she is horrid to groom! Best of luck -- take your dog to work!!

Comment

I take my German Shep..Moose with me everyday, well in fact everywhere. He is rarely home without me. He loves the salon and has quite a fan club. I also have 4 shop cats 2 of them as well have their own fan club and people come over just to get kitty love from them. They are the luviest cats in the world. The 2 luv kitties are white as well so I dye them once in awhile and love the reactions of the clients.

Comment

My Boxer comes to work w/me every day. She is great, the customers love her and she is awesome w/other animals. Of course there are a few people that will gasp, "you let a Pitt Bull run loose in here". Umm no, that is my Boxer.....and she is not "loose, she is usually behind the baby gate in my grooming room. I also have 2 shop cats. Sara is "prickly" like lots of calico's, and Earlene (she is a redneck..lol) is too friendly. Most of my customers are enchanted by her, but occasionally she has to go in lockup because she gets obnoxious. BTW, I also have 3 "fosters" that have a lot of freedoms in the shop and the back yard. They were to old to adopt out, so, even though they are mine I still call them fosters. Hope Springs Eternal.....lol
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

Whizzy goes to work with me every day. He has his own personal kennel. Some of the other employees also bring their dogs, and they have a play group. But we have large outdoor yards for the dogs to play in, which allows them to stretch out and run.

I don't allow him to run around the shop very much. There are a couple of problems with that. For one, he's a teething puppy, and there are too many things he could get into. We have clients coming in all day, and I'd hate to have someone trip over him. I'd hate to have another dog grab him and give him a shake. And I'd hate to have him bolt out the door and get lost or hit by a car.

Comment

I'm working out of the house, so my dogs are always here. The beagles like to sit in the bay window which is directly above my shop door (in the kitchen) and wag and bark at people as they come. They really get a kick out of that. The Dandies are in a pen in the grooming room with me most of the time, it's a 4' x 6' pen with their beds. Sometimes they get up and bark at people, sometimes they just lie in their beds and wag. A lot of my clients go over and talk to them. I have a stray cat that hangs out in the driveway next to the door and sometimes won't move for the dogs to come in. My hubby and kids feed him...and I took him for shots so I guess he's here to stay.

Comment

My cocker used to come to work with me, she's lie on the floor under the desk and was very good. She stopped coming only when last place I worked at had a toddler running around, she was very scared of kids. I wish she was still alive because she would love the place I work at now. When I get next dog they will come to work with me, I think it makes them happier at least it made her happier.

My vet has a shop cat that sits in the window and looks like a stuffed animal lol
                      Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Okay Spikey, give me Puffy---and no one will get hurt!! HE HE HE I want that kitty, what a face!!

Hmmm....I wonder how I could get a kitty to want and stay at the shop while I am grooming? Maybe I should leave out full cans of tuna when I leave at night and see if anyone comes around. My luck I would get a racoon or possum! LOL

Comment

I take my two yorkies with me. They sleep in their kennel while I groom. If I have HV going and don't hear the door, they bark (yes louser then HV, thy are yappy) and let me know someone is there. They are obnoxious when out, too friendly wiht people.

After the dogs are gone, they run around go to the fornt of the shop and sleep in the sun...

Comment

I DO Not Agree with taking personal dogs to work unless they are there for grooming! We have such busy jobs and you don't need extra feet to trip over! Some people like it but I find unless it is a small breed most clients are cautious. I have worked in salons that brought a few dogs in that were good and stayed out of the way until they hired new people that brought theirs in and before you know it there are 6 dogs running around creating havoc! I may be a bummer but this is how I feel. They are distracting to the dogs you are working on and create too much noise!

Comment

No way, my dog can't come out to the shop, she barks all the time. I tried having her come out to the shop and get use to it when she was a puppy, but she won't be quiet so she is expelled.
                              My husband sleeps during the day since he works at night and it's hard enough to keep the shop dogs quiet, let alone her big mouth going too.

Comment

Working...
                              X