My worst fear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My worst fear!

I am wondering if anyone else has this fear?

I was reading Helly's reply about not scratching her nose with the dremel, and it got me thinking.

Since I started grooming I have always had this fear that I will be shaving a dog, and scratch my head, and give myself a nice bald spot! Am I crazy, am I the only one, or have others thought this!?

I'm really paranoid about it, because I've almost done a few times. I just think that really it would be so easy to do it!

I know that I would look pretty bad without hair, especially since I don't have much else going for me, lol.

In fact, all of the groomers on this board, it's possible that it has happened to someone!??!?!?

Has it?
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Well I have hair that goes a couple inches past my shoulders and I fear that I will cut a chunk. I don't have a fear I will shave a part of my head (to the skin) though! I actually did get the end of part of it when I was shaving a poodle's foot. It wasn't noticeable because I usually have it part ways up (plus I have very thick hair) so it was just a few strands that got it. The other girl I groom with was laughing so hard with me. She always has her's in a ponytail so she never has a problem. I do mine differently all the time, so I guess it's a chance I take!!

Comment

Yes, I had a running clipper in my hand and a fly was buzzing around my nose and I swished at it and I cut off some of my bangs, I seen this brown hair on the table and wondered where in the world did that come from? I took a nice hunk out right in front of my face!!!

Comment

LOL!!

I have waist length hair. It's usually longer but every so many years I donate to Locks for Love.

I can't tell you how many times I have cut my own hair while shaving a dog. I always have my hair in a braid, but it still falls over my shoulder and gets in the way occasionally. I have enough of it that I really don't care if I cut a chunk out of the end of the braid occasionally, but I'm pretty sure it would suck if I had an itch and shaved a bald spot off the top of my head.

Comment

I worry about losing an eye with the scissor lol.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

yes I think of weird stuff like that too. However I have been growing out my hair and cutting into my hair was a real "phobia" for me hell I stopped going to my hairstylist ( went to her for 10yrs.) because she took off too much while chatting with her friend while trimming my hair...anyway i am doing poodle feet on a new and VERY unco opertive client and I was letting the little bugger get to me , I sighed, to regroup... brought the clipper(running) hand up towards my face,touched the heel of my hand to my forehead, as my hand goes down, I see a clump of hair floating down, down, down with it...
            Well I now have bangs, and I like em, Not real sure if I would have gotten them cut into my hair at some point or not but hey...
            My employer and I laugh about this to this day and this just happened over the summer, I also got the little poodle done and he is one of my regs now and yes, still is a wiggly bugger.

Comment

Well, that's one I've never done. Now that you brought it up, it'll probably happen, though.

I have poked myself in the nose with my scissors a couple of times.

Comment

I am good at cutting my hands with the scissors when I hand scissor teddy bear clips. The worst thing I did was really cutting my finger bad enough that I maybe should have had stitches using my daughter's nail clippers. They are sharp clippers. Somehow I got my finger where the dogs nails is suppose to be and closed the clipper. I thought I almost cut my finger off.

Comment

Scrubapup......

snip>

Originally posted by scrubapup View Post
                  LOL!!

I have waist length hair. It's usually longer but every so many years I donate to Locks for Love.

What a wonderful, selfless thing to do! Awesome. :-)

Comment

the worst thing that happened to me was....I was cutting nails and the nail flew up into my eye and got stuck in the corner by the tear duct. It was sooooo gross , that remains my biggest fear to this day, it was the worst feeling !

Comment

I have this fear too, only not quite so badly. I hold the clipper in my hand and scratch my head with the same hand, but I point the clipper away. The problem? I use a clipper vac!!! I've taken a chunk of my own hair out with that, but thankfully not too bad...YET.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have thought about it happening when I scratch my head with the clipper running, so far nothing has happened, but it has crossed my mind. I

I have cut my fingers with my scissors a couple of times. The worst part of the hand to cut is inbetween your fingers, I usually get inbetween my and pointer finger, ouch!
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

Nail clipping

I squint my eyes when i do nails. After lasik voluntary vision correction 7 years ago, I worry about cut nail flipping up into my eye. Close, but never yet. I once deliberately used a snap on comb on back of my head. that was before the clipper vac. I made a mess of it with a big chunk out of it. Now I only trim my bangs.; at least we have good scissors for it.Now you guys have me paranoid. I never in all my years cut my hair w/ C.V. or hit my nose with scissors...you guys must be reeel clutzes...haha. I did slice all 3 right hand finger pads pulling fur from a matt spliter. Clean cut..blood all over. I need those finger pads. I don't use matt-spliters after that. I don't bump my head getting into van, but I always have to warn others if they come in. Mostly, I WORRY about red-light runners here. Recently some new Ford E150 pick up just moved over into my lane very close. Whoa! then they give me the finger. Welllll, excuuuuuze me . Nuts here.I cougfh a lot w/ tickle in my throat. I also have Kleenex near by. I drop blades sometimes. Ivac is light and must NEVER leave on the table w/ dog or anytime. I am careful to place it back on shelf with door slid closed. I have a new plastic drawers you see everywhere.Small. The drawers slide out too easily and I find them with blads on shelf. Also on floor. I think I broke another #30 tooth. I hate when that happens! Always new blades too.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                            the worst thing that happened to me was....I was cutting nails and the nail flew up into my eye and got stuck in the corner by the tear duct. It was sooooo gross , that remains my biggest fear to this day, it was the worst feeling !
                            I have done that more times than I can count. I don't know why...but my eye seems to attract the nails that I cut.

Comment

Don't forget to watch out for that Dremel. Just the other day I was dremeling a nail. The dog moved and I dremeled the skin just below my own nail. Ouch!
                              Also, that thinning shear can be dangerous. I somehow just touched (not sure how) my pinky and boy, did that sucker bleed. Didn't even seem deep. Saw some blood on the towel and was very relieved it was me bleeding and not the dog. LOL We are in the type of business where you really have to focus and pay attention at all times! We use lots of unusual and sharp tools. Anything can happen. Even a nail in the eyeball!
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X