I did it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it!!!

I work at a boarding kennel and I am the only groomer. We have had about 65 dogs at the kennel for the past week. Some went home today and some are going home tomorrow. This means a lot of grooming for me! I was sooo nervous!!! I'm used to doing about 3-5 dogs a day. Yesterday I did 10 and today I did 8, all by myself!!! Half were labs and I had only 4 haircuts, but considering I've been grooming only since mid-October I think thats pretty darn good! If it wasn't for Groomer Talk I don't think I would have been able to do it. I have learned so much from you all. Thanks!

ooooooooh girl I used to be the only groomer at a kennel when I 1st started grooming after training. Those days when they all went home at once were a killer! Kudos to you!!!!

Comment

Good for you Bully. I feel the same way about these boards. It's the quickest most detailed information source for us, IMO.

That's an accomplishment, be proud of yourself!

Comment

I have a great deal of respect for your confidence in your job choice right out of school. I think its great that you are doing so well, and you could be very inspirational to those just starting out. How has your body handled it? Are you sore today? You must feel great about your accomplishment.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

That is awesome! Don't feel the least little bit of "Well, half of them were labs but..." because that is where the money is, the bath dogs.

See, this way you can get your grooming practice in on the haircut dogs without being overwhelmed, while at the same time you can make a living by doing those bath dogs.

Way to go, girl, good job! I have been there myself, and sometimes I feel like I am still there, lol.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

ah yes but those just labs also tend to take longer to wash and dry than say a shih tzu...just because they are bigger...and if they have a ton of undercoat packed in there...and if they decide to be stupid nuts LOL! personally id rather groom the lab than be the one washing and drying it LOL!
            congrats!!!
            Hound

Comment

good for you congrats on your new job
              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Thanks for the support guys! The good news is grooming 5 dogs in one day is cake! I was done by 1:30 today! The bad news is I am sooooo sore! My back is killing be from those stupid, wild, 200lbs labs! lol! But my hands are the worst...they're not that sore or dry from the bathing but they are sooo swollen from all the clipping and gripping leashes because I was being draged around by everyone. Some more good news is...I haven't burnt out yet and all the aches and pains are still worth it in the end!

Comment

I know how you feel, I work at a boarding kennel and though the baths are my bread and butter, they can take a lot out of you. Before working here I could do 5, MAYBE 6 dogs per day. Now I can still only groom 5-6, but I can also get some baths done as well.

Last Monday I had 7-8 baths and 6 grooms, two of which were chows that had to get shaved down! I didn't finish until 30 minutes past closing, luckily one of the chow's owners was understanding that I was finished so late, the other chow owner brought the dog back in the next day to be evened up. (The dog is 15 and we had both had enough so I gave up) Then on Tuesday it wasn't as busy, but it was still pretty hectic, so I never got a break until Wed...I was pretty sore!

Here's to hoping tomorrow is busy but not THAT busy. lol

Comment

Originally posted by bullylover21 View Post
                    Thanks for the support guys! The good news is grooming 5 dogs in one day is cake! I was done by 1:30 today! The bad news is I am sooooo sore! My back is killing be from those stupid, wild, 200lbs labs! lol! But my hands are the worst...they're not that sore or dry from the bathing but they are sooo swollen from all the clipping and gripping leashes because I was being draged around by everyone. Some more good news is...I haven't burnt out yet and all the aches and pains are still worth it in the end!
                    Oh, take care of yourself! You'll need that body for a while longer, lol. Go home and treat yourself to a nice hot bath
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I second that notion Maggy!! And nothing sounds better right now than a HOT bath!

Comment

I second that notion Maggy!! And nothing sounds better right now than a HOT bath!

Comment

There were days that I was able to do 10 dogs a day. Many moons ago.

Now I only do 3-5 and I feel like I've done more than my share. I think it is this age thing that creeps up on us. lol I'm happy justing doing the 3-4 a day. Sometimes that #5 is a killer. lol

You did a great job. Hope you relaxed in a nice hot tub.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

Good for you, hope you enjoy the hot bath don't forget the meds for those hands
                            Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Working...
                            X