stinky shiztsu face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky shiztsu face

ok i have a client with a shitzsu,this little dog,has the most smashed face i have ever seen,and his eyes bulge out something awful,well his face always smells no matter what i do,his eyes are always wet,the hair there is too,but she doesnt want much cut off,well today,he was really bad,even had like black gooey stuff on his eyes lashes,and under eyes,(and eyes gross me out bad),so i get off all gooey stuff,but he keeps producing it,you could tell she wasnt to happy,when she picks up dog,she said dogs face smells,and i cleaned it good,i cant help that,his face leaks,it smells like an old wet sock,and his ears smelled bad too,and to top it off,im the only one that will cut her 17 yr old grumpy,mean cats nails,but what else can i do,about his smelly face,and its hard to clean his face or do anything around it because his eyes just stick out so bad,i used griemenator on him,like i always do,oh well i dont want to lose her as a client,because ive been so slow,but i can help that her dogs face smells,the dog left hours ago,and my smock still smell like him,help
    thanks

I had one Shih Tzu just like that, it smelled to high heaven and looked real bad too. I suggested if she wanted to clear up the problem she will have to let me scissor cut more under the eyes, I used a tearless shampoo and used my flea comb to comb out the gunk.
    Then I gave her some baby wipes and told her to use them twice a day on his eyes.
    Believe it or not, it took 6 months but it looks and smells alot better!!!! So now the hair can grow out more the way she likes it.

Comment

Smelly Shih Tsu face

Don't you just HATE that??? Makes you want to gag, doesn't it? What I do is spray the doggie cologne on my hands, rub them together and then rub my hands on the face (avoiding the eyes, of course). At least the dog will leave smelling nice! After that, it's the owner's problem!

Comment

try shaving the top of the nose and right in front of his eyes so it can at least have a chance to dry out alittle. also try adding baking soda to the shampoo

Comment

The moisture in that area is not only smelly, but it's not good for the dog to always be wet in one area. I would tell her that it NEEDS to be shaved for the dogs comfort and well-being. That if she doesn't want it to stink, the hair needs to be gone, and even then it wont be 100%.

You might lose this customer, but she'll get the same results elsewhere if they don't do something about that hair. So why don't you beat them to the punch?

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I've had faces like that and I agree that shaving is the solution. I actually think some of them look really cute with a clean shaven face.

Comment

Has she talked to the vet about the wet smelly face. Have they discussed the dogs diet? It is amazing what a good food can do.
              I wonder and maybe Helly can help on this if a little cornstarch there would help? Just a thought, maybe a bad one Helly help me out here.
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

thanks guys
                i want to call her,and offer to rebathe,but she really didnt complain,just that the face stunk,this dogs eyes bulge out so much,and the face is so wrinkly,that i cant shave the area safely,i just go slow using my thinning shears,he fights it too,the more he fights it the more the eyes pop out(grossess me out)

Comment

I have really tiny finishing shaver that would work well for this dog. You can get them I think at Petedge. They are less than 1/4 inch
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by rainingcats&dogs View Post
                    thanks guys
                    i want to call her,and offer to rebathe,but she really didnt complain,just that the face stunk,this dogs eyes bulge out so much,and the face is so wrinkly,that i cant shave the area safely,i just go slow using my thinning shears,he fights it too,the more he fights it the more the eyes pop out(grossess me out)
                    I groom a couple like this too. I think shaving the area helps. I use the TidBit shaver - it's small and it cuts really short. It will nick the face easily, so it seems like the dog has to be super still or you have to be super good at it. But it does work well - gosh I love that TidBit!! It's the best thing I've boughten for the shop since I opened! Works beautifully for feet too. I also wash all the puggy faces of dogs like this with a washrag...It seems to work well into the wrinkles and getting out goo too.

Comment

One of my Shih Tzus has a cronic eye problem, I keep the hair fairly short and put baby powder on the wet hair a few times a day, I put the powder between my fingers and grab the hair and kind of roll it in the powder. I am extremely careful not to get it in his eyes. This has helped alot and since the hair is dry No smell. The vet said that the baby powder was fine as long as I make sure that it does not get in the eye I'm Happy and my shih is happy and looking great.

We also changed his food to Solid Gold
                      Last edited by plushpuppy; 02-23-07, 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                      Nancy

Comment

Get out your magic wizard groomer's wand, wave it over the dog's head and chant....oh, wait. We don't really have those wands, do we?

Shaving the hair, cleaning with saline solution and applying a drying agent is really the only way to deal with the stink. Corn starch with a little baking soda mixed in, or baby powder would work. But be sure the baby powder is corn starch, not talcum powder.

Comment

Next time advise your client to take the dog to the vet..... maybe there is an infection in the wrinkles???

Comment

Oxy Fresh Pet Gel

Have you ever tried Oxy Fresh Pet Gel. It is a gel that is labeled for teeth brushing and hot spots. It kills the bateria in the mouth and on wounds or in the folds of shih tzu eyes. I was at a day class at the Paragon School of Pet Grooming in Michigan and Annette Quick from Groom Team USA recommended this for this exact problem. I have ordered it, tried it and it works great. It is even good for those dogs who have a sensitive skin after shaving on poop shoot, just put on cotton ball a smear a small amount of the clear gel on butt and it is good, and an extra bonus, if the dog licks it, fresh breath too!

Comment

I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about the blueberry facials. Do they help at all with the smell?
                              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X