Cocker coming back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocker coming back

I have a cocker coming for a second groom. The first time I groomed this huge overweight beast I had to re-bathe him three times - bathed, scared of the hv crapped on the table and sat in it, bathed, scared of the cage dryer crapped in the crate and sat in it, bathed, scared of the clippers crapped on the table and so on. It was not a good time. Anyway, I was considering clipping (gets a 10 all over - even his ears) him first and then bathing and drying him and being done, but he has the really oily cocker skin and coat. Oh, and he's also very old. Any advice on this one? I'm not looking forward to this.

I would totally finish the dog before the bath. It may not win any prizes, but it will be way less frustrating. I would bath him and use degreaser then let him entirely dry on his own.

Comment

You know what? I'm with you on this one, I would consider shaving the beast first, it would save you a lot of "****" in the long run. I'm sure others will have varying opinions, but if the dog is that freaked out, shave first and charge more (for getting greasy hair in your blades). DO you use a Clipper Vac system?

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

bath in dawn or joy..then cond...dont hv...towel dry...express groom get him out fast! if you can't do that, let him air dry...in an open cage or tithered on the floor....on a nice blanket...works for some "seasoned" dogs I groom...good luck...and I also charge 15% of the groom after 1 rebath...

Comment

I feel for ya. That's all I can tell ya.

But I keep telling the husband to take that book to work with him, and every morning there it sits on the table. I'll get it to ya eventually.

Comment

You're on the right track

Get ALL of your grooming done on him pre-bath! Clipper, nails, ears, use your not-so-great scissors on his feet and ear edges. Wash him in a good degreaser, or Dawn, do second wash in regular, put him in the biggest cage you've got, with a fan on low if you can, and he's DONE.

Owners of really old dogs are usually understanding, and grateful that someone will still groom their dog and not stress it out. You can smilingly say, "Well, Poopsie is all done, I was as fast and gentle about the whole process as possible. There may be afew hairs sticking out, but at his age, I think his comfort is the most important thing." Unless the owner is one of those fruitcakes, she will love you for it. :-)

Comment

You didn't say how long ago you did this poor guy-probably a long time ago, knowing most of those cocker owners(something I can never understand). I would get some hair off first-maybe a 7 or a 5. The less to dry, the better for this guy. Maybe he'll be a little better this time.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

try clipping first than use the hv without the nozzle, it usually works. I think some dogs are afraid of vacuums and the hv does sound like one. I second the liquid dawn idea.

Comment

Can he be fasted and walked before the groom?? Maybe just no breakfast and a poo walk??

Comment

cocker trouble

I always clip my dog before the bath. It is harder on my blades going through dirt but it takes less time drying. I was trained that way at New york School of dog grooming. As for that cocker I would clip and finish it before the bath and let it dry in the cage on a low dry or dry it on the table with a paper towel under his bum. doesent everyone clip teh dog twice onece before and then after the bath.

Comment

The cocker was here last the first week of November. I do have the Ivac clipper. The owner is handicapped and can't walk the dog and her kids bring him for his groom. I don't think it would matter if this dog fasted with the amount of **** that came out of him last time. He would have to stop eating now for it to be all out of his system by Monday - lol. I think I will set up my large wire crate, so he's confined, and place a few fans around the area to dry him. The tray on that is also easily removed and cleaned if he does have an incident in it. I'm also going to pre-clip.
                      Thanks for the help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        I always clip my dog before the bath. It is harder on my blades going through dirt but it takes less time drying. I was trained that way at New york School of dog grooming. As for that cocker I would clip and finish it before the bath and let it dry in the cage on a low dry or dry it on the table with a paper towel under his bum. doesent everyone clip teh dog twice onece before and then after the bath.
                        A lot of people are moving to clipping AFTER the bath and dry. I now only pre-clip a dirty coat if it is getting a shavedown anyways, and even then I clip it while wet and shampooed. Oh yeah, I do clip poodle faces before the bath...

Comment

Working...
                        X