Charging for no-shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for no-shows

I have started implementing a no-show or untimely cancellation fee and got to enforce it today.

I have a client who thinks that it's ok to no-show any time she wants, cancel 45 minutes after her appt. (the worst!!) and give me a list of excuses when she does. NO MORE of this. I have only recently done this as my boss has been quite hard to get ahold of since December, irregular hours, and I'm busy, but we finally got everything taken care of, a form for clients to sign, and some policies are now in place that had never been in place from the beginning, and she has approved all of it, thankfully.

Anyway, today this client calls HOURS after her missed appointment. She was at work when she called and told the receptionists about the death of her sis-in-law (she didn't seem too upset to me when I called her back), bla bla bla. I was ready for the story when I called her back and let her talk herself into a bubble for a second, asked her if she wanted to rebook. She did. Ok, "You'll just have to pay $20 by debit/credit card for untimely cancellations and no-shows," to which she replied she didn't have either, but she'll "come by tomorrow," to pay it. I explained that it would go toward her dog's groom but that if she no-showed or cancelled w/out 24 hrs. notice, her appt. would not be held, and she would lose the $20. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why she would bother---there are two shops near me, one north, one south, same side of the road, easy to find...why ME?????? I'm really hard on this lady, compared to some who would just let her get away with it. I called her on it before but she lied and said she HAD called the receptionists---but I couldn't prove she hadn't, that is why I've kept such a close eye on her. I'd be embarrassed and looking for another shop if I were her, so why me? It's usually just a shavedown, not some fancy cut that only "I" can do!

I feel like I've finally gotten some "control" over this problem. In reality, I only have 2 chronic no-showers, she is one of them, the other claims he has cancer, but I am not sure whether I believe him or not---but as soon as he signs my new form, and he gets hit in the wallet, he'll straighten up a bit I think. I can understand it sometimes, but this guy is out of control. It's mostly his sleeping-in problem if you ask me! Anyway, this guy said he used to follow the former groomer around to every shop she worked at, and then started using my services and they have never had a groom look so nice. How can I deny him coming to my shop?

Tammy in Utah
    Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 02-22-07, 05:59 PM.
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I am so glad that so far I have not had a problem except this one lady that used to work with hubby. She did not answer her door cause she was too tired to get out of bed. Whaaa. She worked a double shift the day before Whaa.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

That is excellent!!!

Comment

sounds good to me and I'm starting that in March...Im getn pretty fed up with people being so irresponsible with their appts. I had one come in today at 1:30 that was suppose to be in by 9! I told him I would have to reschedule him because I have a list of people waiting to get in...He had the dog with him and just assumed I would groom it! hello?? His appointment was filled. He was surprised by my reaction, but oh well...thats business

Comment

I started charging for no-shows and it works. I had some people get upset at me. I havent lost any clients over this. I charge 20 for the frist time and the 2nd no show its 40. good luck and u have to put ur foot down too.

Comment

Sweet. I am talking to my boss about a no show/ late cancellation policy. It urks him just as bad as me when people do that. There are so many people we have to call to remind them that they missed their appointment. They think that I'm not important enough to show up on time for.

Then there's the charge I want to add on for walk-ins. Every customer knows that we don't do walk-ins. Except new people, so I could let the first timers slide. But it never fails, this lady always walks in with her Lab (she came in today) and asked if I was free to groom her. She made an appointment the first time but ever since then she just walks in. My boss is never there and I'm never taking her dog in because I'm always busy. So today I made sure to tell another girl that the lady needs to be told to make appointments from here on out or I will turn her away. Then there's a lady with a poodle that just walks in whenever she feels like. Could be 10 am could be 2pm. She thinks I'm there all day to wait for her. He's always a fix-it job. She butchers him at home and then expects me to make him look good without going shorter. I haven't seen her for a couple months so hopefully she went somewhere else.
            Becky

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
              sounds good to me and I'm starting that in March...Im getn pretty fed up with people being so irresponsible with their appts. I had one come in today at 1:30 that was suppose to be in by 9! I told him I would have to reschedule him because I have a list of people waiting to get in...He had the dog with him and just assumed I would groom it! hello?? His appointment was filled. He was surprised by my reaction, but oh well...thats business
              Good one, Hairdevil. He was surprised eh? Well, if he likes your services he will respect his appointment time, and kindly bring the dog in at the scheduled time. I also think we need to be just as respectful and get the dogs out in a fair amount of time. I've been trying to get them out within 3 hours, doing good so far.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Ya know, I'm understanding of the fact that things come up, they can't always call in w/in 24 hours, and many are good regular customers like the one I had the other day---called in totally sick, could hardly talk---I'm not going to charge her, she was CLEARLY sick. It's the ones that have no respect. I've lost too much money because this lady lied and told me the receptionists just didn't tell me that she called (wrong, I know these gals too well), and so now I have her where I want her. And she agreed to pay. And my boss is backing me up and even got mad herself and decided to be pro-active by sending a letter mentioning that she needs to pay $20 up front or forget it. (in nicer terms).

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I started doing this 5 years ago. I charge half the price of the grooming.Some people don't "get it" until you hit them in the wallet.

Comment

I "fired" a customer several months ago for habitual no show/late problems. I simply told her I couldn't groom her dog anymore because I was unable to depend on her! Another customer who has missed several appointment with no notice or after-the-fact notice was told she could be rescheduled if she came in and paid for one of the missed appointments and pre-paid to schedule another. I hate dealing with irrisponsible people! If they won't respect MY time I will make them or they can go elsewhere. OOOOOHHH that sounds mean but I try to accommadate my customers in every way, staying late, coming in early, occassional day-off grooming, etc. I just get fed up sometimes when it is a chronic problem.

Comment

I started a no show policy too, last year. It was started mainly for one client who did this one too many times too me. After I put this policy in effect she called for her appt., I told her about policy and she hasn't ever been late or no showed on me since!

I have another client, rather new, that has started doing this no show stuff, I told her about the policy, she missed her appt., didn't call or anything. When she finally called to make another appt. I told her there would be an extra charge because of the no show earlier. She paid it and her dog got groomed.

Has worked out for me a couple of times.
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

Maybe she just agreed on the phone but won't show up with the $20 either just wait and she. Even if it's that it's a simple shave down sometimes people (myself included) like to keep their babies used to one person. Like when I go to the vet and they have 5 doctors now, I like my dog to see the same one all the time because he's really comfy with him and not the others.

Comment

Hmmmmm, I think I definitely need to start this policy. I am so tired of people thinking they can just come when they want or not come when they want. It is always the same doggone people too! You can almost always look at your schedule and think, this one won't show, I should book another dog here. I never do though and then I am aggrivated when they are true to nature and don't show up....lol... Although, there is always the phone call w/the many different excuses to look foreward to....hehe

Stephen: Just remember it is illegal to charge for no shows in some states or local regions, and when you can sometimes you must have had them acknowledge that in writing or have a sign posted. Check your local laws.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

i think it's a good idea, some habitual people won't get it until you make them pay for it. not withstanding personal emergencies. i can't help but mention, that last year, when a mobile started a thread in regards to this, she was slammed.
                            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              I started a no show policy too, last year. It was started mainly for one client who did this one too many times too me. After I put this policy in effect she called for her appt., I told her about policy and she hasn't ever been late or no showed on me since!

I have another client, rather new, that has started doing this no show stuff, I told her about the policy, she missed her appt., didn't call or anything. When she finally called to make another appt. I told her there would be an extra charge because of the no show earlier. She paid it and her dog got groomed.

Has worked out for me a couple of times.

GOOD FOR YOU, Diane! I had no idea you had such nerve, lol. Seriously, there is a point where you have to put your foot down be respectful to us. It is tacky to just not show up---and I would think EVEN MORE SO when it's at somebody's home!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X