?? for Groomers in DayCare/Boarding Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? for Groomers in DayCare/Boarding Facility

Hi Guys! A quick (hopefully) question for you. I've just taken a position in a brand new facility. It's an upscale day care and boarding facility with a really nice grooming room. I'm thrilled to be starting there, but I have a few questions for those of you that have been there/done that.

What percentage of your business come from day care and/or boarding clients? Do you offer a "kennel bath" or some sort of bath and brush service for dogs leaving after boarding? If you do, how do you handle matting, since that would be more then just bath and brush? If your facility offers a free bath after XX amount of bording days, what do you (as groomers) get paid for these baths? What about fleas? The contract states that all boarders and day care dogs have to be on flea preventative and be flea free. Dogs that have fleas will be treated with a flea bath. What would you charge for this? Do you do it like a bath and brush?

I've never worked in this type of facility. So these are all new issues for me. Since this is a new business, it's new for the owner as well. We're just trying to see what other people do and get some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

I groom at a boarding, daycare facility now. We don't do any special baths when going home. If the owner asks for it or if the dog poops all over himself or throws up all over himself or does something to really need a bath, then the dog gets a regular bath. My boss charges the same as if they made an appointment. Never had any complaints about it. Most of my dogs come from boarding and the daycare. There are a few that come in just for grooming. We're recommended by the vets in the area, even though one of the vets has a groomer, they always tell them to come to us. LOL, that's kinda sad for their groomer. I'm in Utah, we don't deal with fleas really. I've only had one dog show up that had a flea, they came in town from Arizona. I bathed him with regular shampoo and let it sit for 10 minutes. Does the same as flea shampoo. Also if I do a dog that gets himself dirty enough for a bath while boarding, if he's matted, I demat him. I don't do any short cuts or anything.

At a boarding facility I used to work at, if a dog stayed for at least 3 days it got a free bath. That was it, a free bath. No dematting and only a quick brush. Thankfully it was mostly done on the short haired dogs. The owners would usually pay for a grooming for the long coated dogs.

For every bath I do, owner consented or not, I get paid for it. There was one dog I groomed where they weren't going to charge the owners for it, but I still got paid for grooming that dog.
    Becky

Comment

I work in a vets/boarding facility. We have departure baths which is a bath, nails, ears, no brushing, etc. If the dog is slightly matted I will demat it and charge $1/minute for it. If the dog is VERY matted (more than 10 minutes of dematting or a shave down) and the owners can't be contacted, I won't bathe it. If they can, I ask permission to shave it and if they decline I won't bathe it.

I'd say 80 percent of the baths I do are departure baths, but only once in a while do a groom on a boarder. Maybe 1 groom a week if that, it depends on the week of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Newfs View Post
        Hi Guys! A quick (hopefully) question for you. I've just taken a position in a brand new facility. It's an upscale day care and boarding facility with a really nice grooming room. I'm thrilled to be starting there, but I have a few questions for those of you that have been there/done that.

What percentage of your business come from day care and/or boarding clients? Do you offer a "kennel bath" or some sort of bath and brush service for dogs leaving after boarding? If you do, how do you handle matting, since that would be more then just bath and brush? If your facility offers a free bath after XX amount of bording days, what do you (as groomers) get paid for these baths? What about fleas? The contract states that all boarders and day care dogs have to be on flea preventative and be flea free. Dogs that have fleas will be treated with a flea bath. What would you charge for this? Do you do it like a bath and brush?

I've never worked in this type of facility. So these are all new issues for me. Since this is a new business, it's new for the owner as well. We're just trying to see what other people do and get some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
        You'd do best to do "kennel baths" on the short haired dogs only. (Learned the hard way, along with a few know-it-alls on this board who would probably treat you the same for the same human error). Reserve B&B's and full grooms for everyone else.

A kennel bath is just that, a bath. We all know that leaving the mats in a dog going home isn't the way things are done, so don't even waste your time with kennel baths on dogs that get haircuts, or dogs that have long hair in general (shelties, collies, newfs, etc).

The best part is that you have a constant clientele!

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I work at a kennel that also does day care. I'd say about 40% of my clients are from boarding, maybe another 5% from day care.

If a boarding dog gets messy, and the owner hasn't requested a bath or grooming before it goes home, one of the kennel techs cleans it up, and there is no charge. The only boarding dogs I do are the ones that the owner has specifically requested a bath/brush or groom. The owner is charged full price for a groom, but they get a slight discount on bath only dogs.

Comment

I work at a vets that does boarding also. If they request a "go home bath" they are charged full price of a bath and I get 60% of that if I have to do the bath. We have a few owners that request that their dog gets brushed daily- that somehow gets left to me since the kennel/techs could care a less. They are charged $7 a day for a daily brushing. If there are matts I charge accordingly and add to the brushing charge- then if these dogs need a " go home bath" their coat is in great shape I don't need to spend alot of time dematting or brushing. I do all the brushing after I am done with my grooms. Alot of people just schedule a full groom prior to the dog going home. If the dog has fleas we have to take care of them and the owners sign a consent form stating that they will pay for any treatment of the fleas- flea bath, capstar, or a topical application or a combination.

Comment

Working...
            X