X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel Questions

OK everyone...quick questions:

I do not dremel nails but would like to start...that being said,

What has been your experience with dogs that are sensitive to having their nails clipped? Are they less or more sensitive to the Dremel vs clippers?
    Do they react to the noise of the Dremel?
    How noisy are they?
    Is there a lot of vibration that causes the dogs to react?
    Is it pretty easy to learn to use?

That is all. Thanks for any feedback.

It's pretty easy to use, but also pretty easy to get your hair or the dog's hair caught up in it, so be careful, and maybe I would suggest getting a cordless one, as they automatically stop after some hair gets caught in it.

Others have had "strange" accidents with them (RIGHT HELLY?) LOL

The nail CAN get hot, so look out for that.

My experience has been that SOME will do better with it, while others who are bad for nail CLIPPING are WORSE for filing, because it feels funny to them. But every dog is different. It's nice to have one though, for the older folks who get their very thin skin scratched by their dog's nails.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

It has been my expereince that many dogs that absolutely hate to have their nails clipped sometimes tolerate dremmeling better. My pug hates all of it! Ha ha Check out the post by Cajuntank. The Master Groomer grinder is very quiet -- really liked that feature but there are other power source issues. There is simply nothing to "learn" except don't let long-eared dogs "look" to closely!! Grind the edges smooth after clipping or grind straight on to remove nail bulk. Smooth results clients love.

Comment

can't offer advice, but a caution

I'll probably need to get into dremeling for mobile, but I don't like them. I'm a lefty, so the spin of the head always goes into my fingers. One of the regular groomers where I went to school got it caught in her arm while it was running. I have a respectful fear of power tools. I do hand wood carving as a result (which can also do a fair bit of damage if you're not paying attention). I'd like to find a small, not bulky tool to start with. I know people don't like the Master Grooming one, but the one I saw someone use was small and easy to handle and it worked well enough on the dogs.

Comment

I find that most dogs are better for the dremel than for the nail clipping. Not all, but most. I think that it is a great thing, I get a lot of requests from older clients with thinner skin. We charge extra for it as it is not included in the price. The one thing I will advise on, like other said, be careful. It's very easy to grab an ear or tail hair.
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I dremel most nails if the dog will allow it. I find that I can get a closer trim and not bleed the nail. It also makes a smoother nail and most of my clients are seniors with skin that tears easily so they like the dremel. Along with the hair getting caught I find I have to watch the noses of the little curiosity seekers like to watch to closley!!

Comment

Dremmel

I think it is definately worth getting. I use it on every dog. Sometimes i just do the front. I got the little kit at the hardware store and it was only like 40.00. Well worth it. I do not charge extra and it does not take much extra time. If a dog does not like it, I simply don't do it. I would say 95% of the dogs I have don't mind. It has 2 speeds so I usually will start on low if the dog seems bothered by the noise. Get the cordless one it is way easier to use, It takes alittle getting used to but if you have your own dogs practice on them. And yes be careful of the long hairs getting cought. Mine will stop if it has an obstruction, but it is a little freaky when the hair does get in there. I have only done that once.
              What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Like the others, I find that some dogs hate the clippers and some hate the dremel. And some refuse to let me do either. But I like the dremel because I find I'm less likely to quick a dog that way. Also I love it on the big guys whose nails are difficult to get the clippers through.

I have a cordless 7.2V model with 2 speeds. The higher speed is pretty loud, but that doesn't seem to bother most of the dogs. If they are going to freak out usually it's the vibration, not the sound. If it's a puppy I'll use the lower speed because it's pretty quiet and works fine on the smaller nails.

Comment

I've had dogs who hated clippers tolerate a dremel well. Go figure...

I always put a snood on long eared breeds and be sure to hold furnishings back. A loose fitting muzzle will protect schnauzer beards. You can rip a real bald patch on them if the hair gets caught!

If you don't put enough pressure on the dremel it will "chatter" and bounce on the nail. I recommend practicing on short haired breeds first till you get comfortable with it.

Comment

dremmel

i too like using the dremmel. well...for my dog we HAVE to file his nails. absolutely cannot clip them. at all. my fiance and i tried two times. first time we got the fronts done with him fighting the whole time and trying to bite. second time we didnt even get near him with those nail clippers. he actually PEED in the house he was so freaked out by them! i bought the master groomer nail grinder (and promptley sent it back cuz it was ****) and it took him a little while to get used to it (he would shake for it..) and he was a little freaked out at first...but after awhile he was fine with it. i prefer the dremmel over nail clippers because you can almost always get the nail down shorter...and i dont worry about a dog jerking their foot back and me chopping half their toenail off. for me with nail clippers if a dog has black nails then it takes me awhile to line up the nail with the nail clippers and if the dog is jerking his feet around it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to even get one nail clipped! now with the dremmel i just go right in and file em down. and yes the hair DOES sometimes get caught in the grinder part...ive done it and the dogs dont even seem to notice that the hair was pulled out. and yes ive also had a cavalier pup decide to get a little TOO curious about the dremmel and get her little mouth filed LOL! she was more surprised than anything...decided to give that BAD dremmel a peice of her little mind LOL! it was cute! if the dog pulls his foot away there is no problem with just pulling it back and just continueing on. i know that sometimes nail clipping is faster...but i honestly prefer filing than clipping. thats me personally.
                    JMO
                    Hound

Comment

I use a dremel, the first time I used one many years ago, it got caught up in an ear so I sent it back and didn't use one for years. The one I have now is an Oster with a varible speed and it does stop if it gets caught in something. It not real loud but does make a whinning sound and some dogs don't like it. And there is a smell to the nail being ground.
                      I use it on my own dog cause I hate to cut her nails. It's worth trying on dogs cause they will get use to it and the finish nail looks real nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jovi View Post
                        I dremel most nails if the dog will allow it. I find that I can get a closer trim and not bleed the nail. It also makes a smoother nail and most of my clients are seniors with skin that tears easily so they like the dremel. Along with the hair getting caught I find I have to watch the noses of the little curiosity seekers like to watch to closley!!
                        They also try to lick it too, lol!
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I have a few dogs that can't tolerate the dremel. And I have a lot more that can't tolerate clipping, but are fine for the dremel. And one or two that won't put up with either.

Some safety tips; I use a hemo to clip a long tail to the opposite side of the dog when doing back feet. I pull long ears up and tuck them under the grooming loop. Feet with long hair? Use an old knee high nylon, pull it over the dogs foot and poke the nails through. If you have long hair, tie it back first.

And NEVER absentmindedly scratch your nose while you're holding a dremel that's running. It is NOT fun.

Comment

I groom two Australian Terriers, sisters. One of them hates her nails to be cut but is fine for the dremel. The other one will stand there on the table while I dremel her sister's nails but if I try to dremel her nails she will freak out. She is fine when I cut her nails.
                            Some dogs are fine for the dremel and some aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                              And NEVER absentmindedly scratch your nose while you're holding a dremel that's running. It is NOT fun.
                              That is so funny, I almost fell off my chair. I have done that with shears in hand, almost lost an eye lol
                              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                              X