Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clean feet (for pets that hate it)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • clean feet (for pets that hate it)

    I never would have thought of this. We use Elizabethan collars on cats regularly for grooming. Yesterday a groomer grabbed out a poodle that wines and licks for feet. She said I think I will use the collar, man did it work!! Poodle just growling and licking away, but no tongue issues. Love it

  • #2
    Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
    I never would have thought of this. We use Elizabethan collars on cats regularly for grooming. Yesterday a groomer grabbed out a poodle that wines and licks for feet. She said I think I will use the collar, man did it work!! Poodle just growling and licking away, but no tongue issues. Love it
    When mine are really bad, and it's not been since the first shop I worked at, I would sit on the floor or on a stool with my legs raised, put the poodle between my thighs, and hold it. Then I would shave the feet. I haven't done that in ages but it works.

    BE CAREFUL THOUGH. If the dog is too stressed, don't do it. Flat our refuse to do it for the customers because it puts their dog in danger having it on its back---my own dog can NOT be put on his back or he freaks out, deer in the headlights look etc...

    Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks-that really does help!! I can't lap groom, though my partner can do it well!! She can groom old, young and fidgety pets really well that way. I just lack the dexterity I think.

      Comment


      • #4
        I had a groomer work for me through the holidays that literally groomed on the floor! I was shocked! She sat there on the floor, pinned dogs under her knees to do their feet...on an on...I was horrified! I let her go after xmas lol she just wouldn't use a grooming table for anything.. very strange

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
          Thanks-that really does help!! I can't lap groom, though my partner can do it well!! She can groom old, young and fidgety pets really well that way. I just lack the dexterity I think.
          Don't feel bad, I can't do it either. I've tried and it just doesn't work for me. I do like the idea of the Elizabethan collar. I may just have to go and get me a couple. I have a few dogs that just LOVE to try and lick their feet when I'm trying to clean them. I'm always afraid that tongue is going to get cut, ouch! Thanks for the idea.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

          Comment


          • #6
            Hairdevil, she did EVERYTHING on the floor? Including scissoring, etc?

            Well I guess everyone has their own method to getting the job done. lol

            I've just started trying the poodle in the lap method, and its awkward at first (still is) but the dogs do seem to fight less.

            I had a poodle I used to groom in VA and he was a stinker, I had to get my boss to do the c/f for me because he wouldn't let me. I wonder how he'd do upside down, but at the same time I'm glad I saved my fingers and never tried.

            Comment


            • #7
              We keep several E collars on hand. They work great for those dogs that just freak out for a muzzle. You know the ones that see the muzzle and freak!
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                I had a groomer work for me through the holidays that literally groomed on the floor! I was shocked! She sat there on the floor, pinned dogs under her knees to do their feet...on an on...I was horrified! I let her go after xmas lol she just wouldn't use a grooming table for anything.. very strange
                I've worked with a couple of groomers assistants that would groom on the floor, even scissoring the tiny dogs...I don't know how they did it, my dogs would look like ****, you can't see what you're doing, lol.
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                  I've worked with a couple of groomers assistants that would groom on the floor, even scissoring the tiny dogs...I don't know how they did it, my dogs would look like ****, you can't see what you're doing, lol.
                  Not to mention my back...Ouch! I have done some bigger dogs on the floor cuz they freak when on the table, but I only use the floor as a must and my back still screams. For me, it really is harder to groom down there. Guess it depends on how a person learned and what makes them comfortable...hmmmm??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I groom big dogs on the floor. Only 7 years into grooming, and my back is shot to sh*t.

                    When I first started grooming my own Standards, I would lay them down on the floor, put their heads in my lap and do their faces and feet that way. They are almost 9 years old now, and if I tried to stand them up on a grooming table to do the face and feet I don't think they would know what to do with themselves. Kinda screwed up, eh?

                    I have 2 Newfies that come to me monthly. I can trick the male into letting me do his feet by having him roll over and I rub his belly with one hand while lightly scissoring his feet up with the other. It's not easy, but I get the job done fairly well. Not perfect, but at least his feet look "clean" (no nail clipping though) The female, on the other hand, is impossible. The owner told me from the get go that I wouldn't be able to do anything with either dogs feet, so don't bother trying. But I have a foot fetish when it comes to grooming, and I have to give it a whirl. I hate that the female walks out of my shop with hair whispers hanging off her feet, but what can ya do? I'm wondering if that Groomers Helper everyone raves about may be the answer. (?) I've considered ordering one, but first I need a good solid electric or hydraulic grooming table that will hold a large dog. I'm using a $59 special right now. LOL

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by milhasavilla View Post
                      Not to mention my back...Ouch! I have done some bigger dogs on the floor cuz they freak when on the table, but I only use the floor as a must and my back still screams. For me, it really is harder to groom down there. Guess it depends on how a person learned and what makes them comfortable...hmmmm??
                      I'll groom the really large dogs on the floor, but if I can get them on the table I will! We have a shorter table, and I don't even like grooming on it because I am slightly bent the whole time!
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by milhasavilla View Post
                        Not to mention my back...Ouch!
                        I'm in the same situation, my back hurts just thinking about it. I had a guy tell me he wanted me to shave his lab mix, and that A) he wanted to be there the whole time and B) he wanted the dog done on the floor.

                        My answer? "Let me think about that...No."

                        Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          e collar

                          What's an e collar? I use the Groomers Helper with a gentle leader and it works great for dogs who try to dance around. I worked for someone for one day who would not let me use it. She said it was inhumane and the customers would not like to see their dog with one on. Can you guess why I quit?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            it looks like a lamp shade. the use it after surgerys a lot

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If a dog gets very upset doing the clean feet I just tell the customer Im not putting the dog through it anymore its just not fair to the dog just because the want a look I tell them lets try a diffrent clip.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X