Do you offer spot on flea treatments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you offer spot on flea treatments?

If you offer spot on flea treatments, what kind do you use and what do you charge?

Thanks!

We sell Bio Spot at the shop, but we don't charge anything to put it on. Is that what you meant?
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

That is what I meant. I have the Zodiac Spot on and I do charge them for a treatment and wondered if any others do this and what do they charge?

Comment

I have found that both the brands mentioned do not work well and is a waste of money. Just as much of a waste as flea collars are (what a money scam they are!) None of the store brands work. I have found that only advantage/frontline/advantage plus work. I only sell advantage and get $12 per pet to apply after they are done getting groomed. Sometimes the client will take it home and apply in the evening so it doesn't get rubbed off on the kids or anyone. Same price if you take or I apply.
        I only sell the large dog tubes as it can be split among pets which saves the multiple pet owners. They must buy the whole tube and can apply it at home.

Comment

I don't. But i owuld be interested to know the laws concerning this, is it under vet duties?? Or is it certain types of spot ons? I am in Canada so the laws may differ from the states.

Comment

What are fleas? I never see them, THANK GOODNESS!!

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

No, I do not and would not apply any kind of spot-on treatment. If that pet has a reaction to the chemical that you applied...don't even want to go there. I do highly reccomend Advantage or Frontline for pets with fleas. But, like Tammy, rarely see them.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Living in Texas we have to worry about fleas and ticks and heart worm. I have a client that came in one time with ticks on him and I stopped counting at 60. We have 80 acres in East Texas that we go to when we want to get out of the city. If I don't put anything on my black lab, she gets ticks. If I put Bio-Spot or Zodiac on her she never gets a tick.

Please, keep the replies coming.

Comment

if Im not mistaken..doesn't the frontline recommend waiting 2 days after a bath before applying? Its absorb by the oils in the skin and therefore needs to wait to be applied after oils in the skin build up some? am I wrong on this?? what about capstar? any comments on how it works? I was thinking of using that this spring instead of flea shampoos...I don't use dips of any kind anymore. I would just use the capstar and charge for it like I use to charge for flea dips. I charge 10.00 for flea treatments....all spring and summer..they are horrible here..fleas ticks...ick Im dreading it again lol

Comment

I thought...

Originally posted by mskittylitter View Post
                    I have found that both the brands mentioned do not work well and is a waste of money. Just as much of a waste as flea collars are (what a money scam they are!) None of the store brands work. I have found that only advantage/frontline/advantage plus work. I only sell advantage and get $12 per pet to apply after they are done getting groomed. Sometimes the client will take it home and apply in the evening so it doesn't get rubbed off on the kids or anyone. Same price if you take or I apply.
                    I only sell the large dog tubes as it can be split among pets which saves the multiple pet owners. They must buy the whole tube and can apply it at home.
                    I was taught that lrg dog treatments were for lrg dogs because the strength not the amount. Has that changed if not that could cause serious health problem for a smaller dog. Please let me know very curious.
                    I do tend to stay away from flea treatments to, it just the whole adverse reaction thing that does happen occasionally. but I do offer advice and always warn people about the possible side affects so they are aware of it.

Comment

Amber

It is the same product its just the quantity given to corresponding weight. 55+ dogs take 4 cc 25-54 take 2.5cc 10-24 take 1.0cc and under that take .8cc Cats use same product again just the dosage is different.

Hairdevil
                      Yes its reccommended that frontline you do wait for the oil to return. I don't use the product because my clients would forget to apply it and its not a popular as advantage in our area. I would say only a handful of my clients use frontline. I can get both from my supplier but it too much inventory to keep to satisfy a handful.

Comment

Originally posted by mskittylitter View Post
                        I use Bio Spot on my own dogs, and have never had any problems. Always worked as well as frontline and much cheaper.

Comment

I've never used anything but Frontline on my dogs. I've had many customers who use the store bought spot treatment, and they continuously have fleas. I've also heard some pretty scary things about some of the brands of these store bought flea treatments.

I don't sell Frontline in my shop. Mainly because I'm a new shop owner and can't afford to stock my shelves with it. BUT, I was told by my vet that if you put Frontline on a dog, you should wait 2-3 days before bathing. Or, if the dog is bathed, wait 2-3 days after before applying the spot treatment. That may be only if the dog is flea dipped - I honestly don't know.

I usually tell my clients to put the frontline on first, then wait 3 days to be groomed. Because the spot treatment leaves an oily residue on the coat that attracts dirt. I've got a white male St. Poodle, and if I don't bathe him a few days after applying frontline, he walks around with a round dot of dirt between his shoulder blades. Looks dumb. LOL

Comment

Being in Virginia, we have TONS of fleas, ticks and everything else crawly! I think nothing works like Advantage - this is just my opinion. I won't use anything anymore except Advantage - I have used Frontline before, for years at a time, yet still always dealt with fleas. With Advantage, there really are no more bugs even if they come in contact with something that is infested. This is just what I have found that works for me. And I tried everything before I went with Advantage, it still KILLS me to fork out the extra $$ for Advantage. I tell my clients, if you're using Frontline/BioSpot/Zodiac and you don't have fleas then certainly keep using them. I also have numerous brands available at my shop and will apply it at no charge, but I do recommend the client waiting 2 days after bath before applying it. But I will apply it myself, if I'm asked even after my recommendation. Most will wait though and do it themselves. Interesting topic...

Comment

I used Frontline before I started using Biospot, and I never had any problems.

Oh, I also think that it is important to mention that different products are going to work different in different areas (climate). I think that over time it's possible that they build up a kind of immunity to certain products!

Comment

Working...
                              X