911 what would you do? Long story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911 what would you do? Long story

Yesterday I was doing a dog and brushing it out while drying and any knots not stretched dried I removed on my table before finishing. I was told after the last time I did this dog that I was not allowed to do this dog anymore because the dog's owner didn't like the way I left the head too long.

I asked my boss do you want to come help with the head and my boss said no, because you didn't brush it out b4 the bath. and my boss yells from the front desk, I'm gonna write on the card to brush it out b4 the bath next time. I explained that I find it easier to do while drying while brushing and she proclaimed Let's just do it my way. I said I'd rather not because it takes longer and is harder b4 the bath.

I said maybe you should go back to doing this dog because the owner didn't like the way I dd it last time. I only said this because she did not want to help me with the head because I brushed it after the bath, even though I made her aware the owner wasn't happy last time and I wasn't sure she'd like it and wanted to make sure it came out right.

It is a 14 y/o cairn terrier who bites for dematt and when she started attacking my scissors I stopped scissoring her face.

It has been the practice of the owner that instead of showing you the way she would like it done to just pass it on to the next groomer to see if the dog's owner liked it better. So we never had the chance to change or learn from our mistakes or customer preferences.

Today I did a poodle daschund mix and the boss didn't like the way I did the poodle head even though I had done that way at least three times and that's what the card said it was too full or something for her but didn't say what was wrong with it. She just stood in the middle of the room and yelled. What the hell is wrong with that dog's head? Fix it!!! I said what do you mean fix it? I don't know just fix it? I said maybe you should do it since I don't know what your looking for because his head has always looked that way.

She became very angry and said well then I will take credit for the whole dog. I don't consider this groomed. He was fully groomed. She then proclaimed don't bother coming in tomorrow if you can't do things my way. I said what do you mean? She said telling me you want to brush the dog your way and that maybe she should do it herself. I told her that I just wasn't understanding how she wanted me to do it.

(I added this to try and explain myself better) The only reason I responded this way on the second ocassion was because there were mixed messages, the day before she was pretty much saying she didn't care how the cairn's head came out, just because I didn't get all the knots out b4 the bath. I did ask for help and was refused. I did ask my co-worker if she thought the head looked alright and was short enough when I was done because I was worried the lady wouldn't like it again.

I have been there for 2 years and the only training I had was my school and the first place I worked because although this employer hired me knowing I had a lot to learn she didn't want to teach me anything and even though I've done something like a head like that three time on the fourth time it wasn't good enough and that's what confused me but all I got was I don't care just do it my way.

I also have been performing my brush outs after the bath for at least a year now and nothing was ever said until now.
    One cannot do what one has not been taught.
    Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 02-23-07, 05:28 AM. Reason: I left out some important info while rambling and upset- I think I'm done editing and it should make more sense now

If you are reasonable sure you can get another job and won't be in a bad way, I would not show up tomorrow. If you need this job very much, show up and do things her way until you can get out.

Comment

Well, here is my take. Since this lady is the boss she has the right to tell you how to do things. That is one of the perks of having your own business. Do I agree w/her not wanting to learn new ways? No, I think it is silly of her, but it is her perogative. I used to work w/someone like that and it drove me (and other employees) nuts.

I also don't think you handled the situation very well if I am understanding correctly. Telling the boss to do something themselves because you don't want (or can't) do it the way she wants is like waving a red flag at a bull. If you want to keep this job, call her and discuss the problems you are having and see if she is willing to work w/you. It does sound like you don't really like this job though, so if you don't think you can be happy here use this as your out and go find another job...
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I can always get another job, maybe not doing grooming right away but at least a temporary office job and I have my husbands second income. It's just that I know I couldn't use her as a reference for another job which i the only reason Ive stayed this long. I was trying to hold out until I took business classes and got out on my own but it's not looking good. I just don't get what difference it makes when you brush a dog out as long as it is brushed out. Anyway it was a much longer and deeper issue than what she said today but I won't even go there.

Comment

For one, it is HER salon, you are working for her. You do it HER way or the highway, pretty much. If she hasnt taught you anything, shame on her for not teaching you tricks and techniques, shame on you for not asking for help. You do what YOU feel is right, if you arent comfortable working there anymore, talk to her about it and explain your feelings and see if you mutually agree on something, if shes willing to help you learn a few tricks of the trade or if its agreeable that you not need to be working there anymore! follow your gut.

Comment

Sheila- Yeah I know that wouldn't normally be the correct response or my first choice of how to respond, but it is just the end of a long line of issues in the way she has treated me and talked to me badly since I have been there . It is the way that she screams things at you in front of the other employees in a nasty manner. Also the fact that she did not want to be bothered to do any training when I started there and then after almost two years decides (I am not brushing a dog right). I think I will use this as my out. Of her saying I don't want to be bothered training anyone and then getting mad when it's not the exact way she want's it. I just can't do something a way I was never shown. She doesn't say I'll show you just do it different and the way I like it. It is not even really about her wanting things her way. It is about her wanting something to pick at because she's in a mood that day.
            Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 02-21-07, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hmm, well if it were me I would show up. I would try to talk to her about it. Hopefully she would be reasonable about it. Come to her with clear views about it, no anger, no attacks. Hopefully you will both be able to stay calm and work it out. Then maybe you can start to look for another job if you feel that this place isn't for you. But, at least if you can get it worked out you will still be pulling in some money while you're looking. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DAPER DAWG View Post
                So you know how there is a lot of discussion about how everyone has different methods? Yesterday I was doing a dog and brushing it out while drying and any knots not stretched dried on my table before finishing and my boss says next time brush it out b4 the bath it would be easier. I explaine that it is easier to do after washing and while drying while brushing and she proclaimed Let's just do it my way. I said I'd rather not because it takes longer and is harder b4 the bath. I said maybe you should go back to doing this dog because the owner didn't like the way I left the head too long last time. (it is a 14 y/o cairn terrier who bites for dematt) and when she started attacking my scissors I stopped scissoring her face. Today I did a poodle daschund mix and the boss didn't like the way I did the poodle head even though I had done that way at least three times and that's what the card said it was too full or something for her but didn't say what was wrong with it I said maybe you should do it since I don't know what your looking for. She became very angry and said well then I will take credit for the whole dog. I don't consider this groomed. He was fully groomed. She then proclaimed don't bother coming in tomorrow if you can't do things my way. I said what do you mean. She said telling me you want to brush the dog your way and that maybe she should do it herself. So question is would you show up tomorrow? or consider yourself fired. I have been there for 2 years and the only training I had was my school and the first place I worked because although this employer hired me knowing I had a lot to learn she didn't want to teach me anything and even though I've done something like a head like that three time on the fourth time it wasn't good enough and that's what confused me but all I got was I don't care just do it my way.
                As they (?) say, "onward and upward". I wouldn't stay somewhere where the stress was unreasonably high.

Comment

I would go to work tomorrow and apologize for the back talk. It is after all her shop. If she is paying you and wants you to wear a tutu while grooming then wear it till you find a job that makes you happy. Now if she told you to stick your hand in Cujo's mouth then I would say no, but that is how she wants things done. It is her rep on the line.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

As far as I know, if you use her as a reference, legally she can't say you did a bad job grooming, came in late, etc. She can only confirm that yes you worked from x/x/x-x/x/x dates.

From your posts in the past, it seems like you've had a lot of creative differences with your boss, so her firing you may be for the best.

Comment

My Way or the Highway

Like you say, there is a lot more to the story and your relationship with your boss than you are saying here. Your boss said "If you don't do it her way, then you can leave" and she has every right to say that. It's her shop and ultimately they are her clients. If you told me to "do it myself" if I didn't like how you were doing it, I would ask you to leave too. That's not how you talk to someone who pays your salary. So yes, if you want to continue working there and have a decent reference, you need to suck it up, apologize and ask her how she wants things done. You might still learn a thing or two. She may not always be old fashioned or wrong and she is the one allowing you to work for her.

Comment

What happened to two week notice?

When you are hired as a groomer for someone, and they fire you, aren't you entitled to two weeks notice to find nanother job? What if you were a single mother and had a child to support? (maybe you do) don't you sign anything when you accept a job? Don't you have rights?You probably cxould have been more diplomatic, but she looses too. She may have a lot of dogs to do with no help

I am going to be blunt and remark, that your run on sentences are difficult to read, because you don't punctuate,or begin new sentences correctly. You also
                        use the word your when you mean you"re. People criticized me for being hard to understand. Well, I do punctuate. I"m not trying to be mean either. If you talked to boss without ceasing,as your posts are written,you may have made her angry.

That being said. I hope you get paid for the work you did, and I think you have rights. Be more careful next time;get agreements IN writing. You could try to patch things up,by offering her 2weeks notice so SHE won't be left holding the dog..so to speak. Be nice and see if it works. Or, move on ,with pay.

Comment

Sunny I did ask her for help and she said she's too busy and didnt have the time to train anybody but wanted it to come out her way. The way I was hired I came in did two dogs and she said OK there's your table. end of story. I know I would tell someone to leave if they told me to do it myself without good reason. But it really had nothing to do with what she was saying and more to do with how she has treated me for the past year and have been keeping my mouth shut and doing it her way. I should have never stayed there this long because I knew it wasn't the best fit. I normally think things out before I speak but let my emotions take over this time. She comes at everyone with an attitude and expects niceness in return. I have tried to talk calmy and honestly with her several times and she just doesn't want to hear it. I came right home and posted the question and now that I have had more time to think about it, I know what to do and I am not going in tomorrow because she is not the kind of person you can talk it over with the only thing she would do is get more and more angry. It was I who tried to keep things purely professional for a year while she has attacked me on a personal level. I tried to be the better person and kiss her butt but have just reached my limit. In my own defense I am the 4th or 5th groomer she has gone through in as many years due to her personality and attitude.

Comment

not really, in most states, im not sure what the law is called, but they can fire you for any reason or no reason at all, and you can quit for no reason or any reason. two weeks notice is when you decide to leave the job, it is just a form of curtisy but you do not have to do that two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                              When you are hired as a groomer for someone, and they fire you, aren't you entitled to two weeks notice to find nanother job? What if you were a single mother and had a child to support? (maybe you do) don't you sign anything when you accept a job? Don't you have rights?You probably cxould have been more diplomatic, but she looses too. She may have a lot of dogs to do with no help

I am going to be blunt and remark, that your run on sentences are difficult to read, because you don't punctuate, or begin new sentences correctly. You also use the word your when you mean you're. People criticized me for being hard to understand. Well, I do punctuate. I"m not trying to be mean either. If you talked to boss without ceasing, as your posts are written, you may have made her angry.

That being said. I hope you get paid for the work you did, and I think you have rights. Be more careful next time;get agreements IN writing. You could try to patch things up,by offering her 2weeks notice so SHE won't be left holding the dog..so to speak. Be nice and see if it works. Or, move on ,with pay.

No you don't have to give two weeks to fire someone if you have good cause.

No I don't usually talk without ceasing. The only reason my post rambles on is because I did it as soon as I got home and I should have waited.

I've tried being nice for a whole year and all I got was attitude.

I will get paid for the work I did or well be seing each other in the Labor Department.

I have to go pick up my equipment on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X