No more Monks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Monks?

When I went to a show on Sunday, I was looking for some new shears. I decided to look for a pair of Monks because I have a pair that has lasted me for 20 yrs of rough usage. I did find a pair, but I was told that Monk is no longer in business. The scissors that are out there are all that there are. Has anyone else heard this? I hope not, they are awesome shears for the price!
    SheilaB from SC

It's sadly true. Mr Monkhaus is no longer making shears, however he is still sharpening them. Yes, what's out there now is all that there is. Feels like the end of an era.

Comment

I am so sad...........I love my Monks

Comment

Dang, maybe that is what I'd better get with my $50 bucks I won here for the Shampoo Lady website. :O

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

[QUOTE=SpikeyTheYorkie;22002]Dang, maybe that is what I'd better get with my $50 bucks I won here for the Shampoo Lady website. :O

That is where I would spend my free money! I am glad that I bought a pair. Today will be my first day using them. I was off yesterday and Monday (Tue is my regular day off, Monday was slow so I let Julia have it). These are 8 1/2 curved. My other ones are 8 1/2 straights. Can't wait to try them!
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

This is a sad sad day. I have only used Monks! I better buy some now!

Comment

they still sell them on groomerschoice.com

Comment

I heard from my supplier that Heritage Shears are the closest shears you can get to MONKS. I guess when Monkhouse stoped making shears many of his employes went to work for Heritage. The Sabre shears do lok similar to the Monks.

Comment

I wouldn't compare those heritage to monks at all--terrible. For the price, I would look at geib gators as comparable in price, and superior in performance and holding an edge between sharpenings

Comment

Monks compare to Aussie?

Hi, I too, used Monks for years...then had a really hard time getting them, well, i've been through a lot of other brands...but I think the best low end shear I've come across in the last few years has been the Aussie Line from Image Tech. they will probably be at APT (they were last year) and this year at Burbank, suppose to be at NW Barkilas are super (still trying to gat a hand;e on using them, since the design is different (back to a flip-over sort, double tang) I now have 6 pair of them, and they had one of the best, pair of small thinners (both blades with teeth) that I handled , and I am not sorry I got them. They are super for top-thinning. And the best or should I say the most fun part...they are titanium coated with rainbow or just blue. So much more fun than just funkie old one-colored shears! The show deal are super, like 3 pair for $100, or better yeat the last day they have some smokin' deal, but less selection... OH! I almost forgot...they are the people that have the really squishy and finger rings, the soft silicon ones (in clear or purple!)

Last year I got both a straight and curved 3 finger (like 7 inch). I've used them on darn near every dog over the last year. They hold an edge well, and are well balanced in my hand. If I were still teaching, you bet, these would be my choice for a new groomer-to-be student. Great shears at the low end price fun colors, but very functional. Check them out if you are going to one of the trade shows.

Comment

Monks are also listed in my groomstar catalogue. ( groomstar.com )

Comment

Working...
                      X