does this happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this happen

Hi everyone was just wondering Have any of you had a dog that looked so bad as you can see from attachment His name is Lawnsby and he looked like this I really can"t get my head around it how can people let their dogs get this bad?? but what really annoys me is the dogs that come here are in such bad condition I will gladly groom them etc anything to make them feel a bit better but what really is so annoying is they don"t come back and when I ring disconneted I mean what happens to these dogs I always think of Lawnsby cos he never came back ,
    Attached Files

Unfortunately it does happen. In fact I (and I'm sure others on this board) have seen much worse. Thankfully it's not an everday thing, but there are always the occasional matted, filthy, flea infested messes.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

What a shame!!

He is SO cute!! You would think when the owners see their dogs face (finally) and smell how good they smell... they would try to make a point of not letting it get soooooo bad!! We as groomers can tell them that its not good for their health, attitutude, etc etc having them left so long, but it just amazes me how many owners don't seem to know that these type of dogs need GROOMING... and lots of it!! ANYONE who sells this kind of dog should really be stressing the importance and cost of grooming to potential owners.. and I'm sure most of them do... its just so unbelievable how BLIND some owners can be!

Comment

So sad.....

Unfortunately, I've seen it quite often when I volunteered at a shelter and puppy mill dogs were rescued. It took me hours to clip their hair and I felt awful but the dogs couldn't have been happier.

Comment

fitzie, maybe that poor little guy was groomed because the owner was giving him away to someone else that will take care of him, and live out of town. We can only hope that is why he hasn't come back to you.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

It is terrible to say, but some people just don't look at their dog until they look like that. I had a schnauzer that had poo matted everywhere and yucko the stink. The lady was telling me that she is her baby and sleeps in bed with her every night. EWE
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Like Rapuzzled, I've seen it, and worse. I did a cocker last spring that was so bad I couldn't even put him in a crate inside. We put him in a holding pen outside and called animal control to document the condition he was in. While we waited for the animal control officer, I called his vet and described his condition. The vet said go ahead and shave everything off and bathe him. Then we moved my table outside, and put him on it, hooked up a hose, and hosed him down to wash away as many of the maggots as possible. Took pictures before, during and after, again to document everything.

Unfortunately our state animal welfare laws are pretty lenient. But I do know our animal control officer, and I know he did as much as the law allows. And I know he's kept an eye on the situation, rechecking the dog every couple of months. I know the next time I see the dog for his once a year shavedown, he'll be overgrown and filthy. But I'll bet he doesn't have open sores and maggots again.

Comment

Stupid people. Ya cant say anything to people who let an animal get this way. Nothing between them ears. Hit them in the wallet. You do the best you can and educate owners who dote over every need of Fifi. They are the best. Clients that will listen are the best.
                Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                  Hi everyone was just wondering Have any of you had a dog that looked so bad as you can see from attachment His name is Lawnsby and he looked like this I really can"t get my head around it how can people let their dogs get this bad?? but what really annoys me is the dogs that come here are in such bad condition I will gladly groom them etc anything to make them feel a bit better but what really is so annoying is they don"t come back and when I ring disconneted I mean what happens to these dogs I always think of Lawnsby cos he never came back ,
                  You did a good job grooming him fitzie! He sure has a sweet loveable lil' face. Hoping for the best for little Lawnsby! I have similar dogs that come in looking just like him (or worse) - some I think I will most likely see only once or twice a year. And if/when they come back in, they're in the same condition as before...It is definitely a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by stacie-gotg View Post
                    Stupid people. Ya cant say anything to people who let an animal get this way. Nothing between them ears. Hit them in the wallet. You do the best you can and educate owners who dote over every need of Fifi. They are the best. Clients that will listen are the best.

Stacie, you are so right. I just say it differently: "Too much yardage between the goal posts." Or, "The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead." LOL

Hitting them with their wallets is a GREAT way to solve this problem---not always, but often. Good input to remember.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Great job, what a cutie!

Yep, we have all seen them at least once.

Jason

Comment

oh yes!! I groomed a rescue Shih Tzu that was so mated her ear had become matted and split due to the pressure. She was a 10/15/30 strip with clean feet and I had to take a 40 down that front of her legs and up from the feet so that I could get a scissor underneath to split the matting enough to get it off. Terrible

Comment

Yep, I've seen a lot of them. Done a few dogs with a #40 shave down. A couple of the coats felt like cement. Even made that loud thud when I smacked them on the table. It's sad.

You did a good job on that dog though, he's a cutie.

Oh don't worry, you probably will see that guy again, in about 2-3 years when his hair is rock hard and needs another shave down..
                          Becky

Comment

I have seen more then enough of those kinds. You know the ones where the hair coat comes off in one piece. I had a DLH cat years ago come in and it was so matted that the cat had trouble swallowing I had to use a 40# around the neck. But the good news was these people learned and felt horrible and became regulars. The there are the people that you can explain how uncomfortable or down right painful this kind of neglect is and they dont care and wait another yr or 2 before they come in agian.
                            On the subject of haircoats that come off in one piece I have a great sample that I decided to use as an educational tool at the shop. I have the story of what its about posted next to it, the whole don't wait to long or this happens.... but the funny thing is I've had 3-4 people think that its like a skin. Where do people get these ideas. The dog was matted so, yeah I had to SKIN it com'on.

Comment

at the shop i used to work at we had a couple of cases like this...one lady brought in two shih tzus. mother and daughter. she wanted mom to have a haircut and the daughter to be left in full coat. boss goes...well ma'am im sorry but they are both matted. they will have to be shaved. Client goes...oh its just a couple of matts cant you brush them out? (hahahahhaa vvvvvvery funny). boss goes...no im not going to torture your dog by dematting it. we can cut them short then you can start over again and if you'd like you can then keep them in full coat BUT you need to come back every 4 to 6 weeks. i guess this lady mistook weeks for months...because when she came back the dogs were a tragic mess (again) and had to be shaved extremly short (again). plus they were [email protected]&holes on the table! now we had another lady come in says her cocker is slightly overgrown. okay...well when that thing walked in the door...OMG! poor girl! boss immediatley tells her that she is going to have to shave ALL that off as the dog is complely matted. fine i dont even like this dog. i hate her. shes not like my OTHER dog. im thinking about having her PTS anyways. well...the dog is deaf, going blind, and has a nice goiter hanging between her back legs and has lumps and tumors and sores all over her body. well this dog came back...and she wasnt in horrid condition. TG! now we had one keeshond lady who only brings her dog in once every 3 months (plus this thing would bark and bark and bark very annoying). boss asks her when was the first time he was groomed? oh the first time he was groomed was when you did it. 3 months ago! she came in twice...never saw her after that. another lady had a shih terrier mix...(she claimed it was a shih poo but it obviously wasnt.) she was bringing her in every 2 wks for a bath and nails...and my boss did a sanitary on her because she was going to be spayed the next week. well...after that she never called or anything UNTIL DECEMBER!!! we thought something had happend...and my boss being the way she was didnt want to call and inquire about the dog. well needless to say the dog came back...and was a total spaz. she just grew slow...the dog was totally freaking out and acting up. now there are a number of people who havent come back...either they had a coupon or were only the once a year type of people.
                              Hound

Comment

Working...
                              X