Cologne can cost yiu a client!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cologne can cost yiu a client!

I love cologne, even tho' I am allergic and I cough all the time. I feel it finishes the dog. But it makes some dogs crazy with the itchies. Or owner. They can oust ya just for an innocent mistake like that!I try to remember to ask if they want cologne..let them sniff it first. I don't think I am hard to understand.....Maybe when I get into long discriptions or stories.... I will try to be succinct. (spell check?)

yeah I have found a large portion of my clients dont like it, bows either. they just want a plan jane clean up no fancy stuff. I have a few different smells some less perfumy then I offer it to them some like to play and spray their own dogs after they know the routine people who want it help themselves.

Comment

I worry about that too. I use double k products mostly. Grimeinator is my main shapoo for all purpose, and I use the unleashed by double k for cologne. only a light squirt and most compliment the smell is nice and airy. I'm just afraid I'll loose one that just over something like the cologne.

Comment

I stopped using cologne a long time ago, I use a spritz of glo coat, it has a very light baby ppowder scent and is hypoallergenic. Give it a try , it also repels dirt and takes out static.

Comment

I don't use colognes; it turned out I was actually sensitive to some of them and ended up with some killer headaches. Customers are generally pretty good about letting you know if they have fragrance issues, but just in case you could make that 1 of the questions you ask when they fill out their client sheet.

Comment

Then there's this....

Most of the shampoos and conditioners I use have no odor, because I do quite afew dogs with allergy problems. I do use cologne on the dogs without allergies, if I remember. I haven't had anyone leave me because I used cologne, but I did get a call a couple of weeks ago from a client who said her dog just didn't smell as good as she usually does after her groom, and are you sure she had a bath, dear? <BG> Some clients who are used to getting a light spritz of cologne on their dogs think it's just the smell of the shampoo, or whatever. I promised her I would make sure I used the good-smelling stuff on her dog the next time she came in. You know, you just can't win, all you can do is try.LOL

Comment

Some dogs stink of owners' perfume

I have a few dogs that smell of owners perfume, and I can't get the smell out.I had to ask one very nice family to please not spray perfume on jesse. He was green for a while too because he sat on green newspaper or something. That finally ended. These people are wonderful. Thay had terrible heartaches, one after another. I didn't know the problems f or months and months. I would just leave messages I was thinking.g about them etc.The dog went months and months without his regular brushing. Owner in hospital. Finally, I shaved Jesse, as it was all I could do. They tipped big again. They didn't need to. I gave them some cologne I like for Jesse.Now Jess will grow fluffy again.

Comment

I only use the bio-grooms - one is a peachy vanilla scent and the other is a very light flower smell and never had anyone complain yet and then we only spray it on the bandana and not the dog and people can just take it off. Most people that are sensitive just tell us and we make a note on the cared. Some people are even bothered by the smell of the stuff of the other finishing spray in a can or even certain shampoos (I forget what it's called) but the usually let you know before going elsewhere.

Comment

re:cologne

As part of our grooming procedures when we take in a new client we ask specifically if the dog has any allergies or any family members have allergies to perfume. We mark all file card and data base if they do, makes life easier for us all.

Comment

It only took me one free bath to figure out you put the cologne on the bandana rather than the pet I give everyone a bandana secured with a bow. Those who say they don't like the bandana? I tell them that is the pet's reward for grooming; when they see the bandana they know they're done. It doesn't matter to me what happens to the bandana and some of my clients take them off as soon as their pet is inside the house. Others leave them on until the next grooming because their pet wears it as a badge of honor

Comment

what i like

I like the baby powder scent. I agree many colognes are too strong and some owners love that and some dont. I personally love the baby dog pump sray detangler. Its by crazy pet. It smells like a baby. Its nice because it stays. I use it on my baby. She smells so good. I use the shampoo and the detangler on her. She smells fabulous!

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                        I worry about that too. I use double k products mostly. Grimeinator is my main shapoo for all purpose, and I use the unleashed by double k for cologne. only a light squirt and most compliment the smell is nice and airy. I'm just afraid I'll loose one that just over something like the cologne.

I am one of those people who have a terrible allergic reaction to colognes and even some finishing sprays and shampoos. This is a medical condition, not a preference, when someone tells you they are sensitive to smells or allergic to them, it's important to understand that. I can't even go to a club meeting if someone in the room has on certain perfumes. I also might forget to mention not to use cologne or finishing, to a new groomer as I don't expect anyone to use cologne without asking. If a groomer sprays my dog without having asked me, I wouldn't be able to drive home with my dog in my car and would have to ask for another bath and I would expect it to be free and dried properly since I didn't ask for the cologne. However, I wouldn't leave your business because I forgot to tell you and you didn't ask. I would leave if you gave me attitude about it, rolled your eyes about rebathing the dog, said, "it's just one squirt" or anything else that tells me you were being insensitive to my medical issue. I suppose some people would be too uncomfortable to ask for a rebathe, and wouldn't want to tell you not to use cologne, so they would just quietly disappear, but most would let you know and give you another chance.

Comment

Most people remember to tell us that they don't want perfume. If not they let us know the next time and we will make a note on their file. I do like the idea that someone suggested about just spraying the bandanna as opposed to the dog, but quite a few of my customers would complain, lol. They like them smelling very strongly of perfume. The only people that don't want the perfume are dogs with strong allergies or sensitive skin.
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I have been very lucky when it comes to cologne. I only have a couple of dogs that don't get it. I have made a BIG notation on their card that says A NO COLOGNE! That gets my attention
                            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                              I have a few dogs that smell of owners perfume, and I can't get the smell out.
                              Oh, I have that problem too. One in particular, a little black cocker, smells like her owner marinates her in the darned stuff. It wouldn't be so bad, but it's a scent that gives me a migraine every time I groom the dog.

Other than that, I don't worry about getting the smell out. After all, the owner wants the dog to smell that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X