No announcement yet.

Skip Tooth blades and the clipper vac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Tooth blades and the clipper vac?

I used skip toothed blades at the last shop I worked at, mainly to shave down matted coats, but also for dogs that easily have track lines. Now I'm thinking of buying a #5 & #7 skip tooth for some terriers, etc...

Anyone use them with a vac system, and does it change anything? I realize you wouldn't ever want to use them in reverse, but I am wondering if there are lines, etc...

I would happily use them without the vac to get a more natural look, but would like to know if they work with the vac systems at all.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I have, but only on the back of the dog. anywhere there is loose skin that could suck up would be dangerous it seems to me. But i have used the 5 skip on some westies and scotties on the back. Like, i might use the 5 skip with the cv on the back, and then use a 7 no cv kind of skimming for the blending of the back into the skirt. This combo works really well.

Comment

Tammy, I've used my skip toothed blades a lot with my CV. Yesterday, for example I did my usual #5 skip shavedown on a Newfie regular. She comes out smooth as silk. In fact, every time I do it she comes out so smooth I am tempted to take my regular #5 and do a line next to it to compare. I can't imagine that she could look any smoother. For her I keep the regulator open.

And today I did two miniature schnauzers with a #5 skip and my CV. The look is not quite what I'd call as smoothe as on the Newf, but it's a very natural, nice finish. I did one of them with the reg open and the other with it 1/2 open. I think for these two dogs to get the really plush smooth look, though, I'd have to go with the #7, but that would probably be a tad shorter than the owner wants.

I've also plowed through some very matted coats, when necessary, of course, with the #7 skip and the CV.

It all depends upon the look I want and they type of hair, but I found that the 4, 5 and 7 F blades did not necessarily do a great job on all coats. In many cases the skips leave a natural, even-looking finish, better than the Fs. I'm talking about going with the grain. When I really want short and ultra-smooth I use the Fs and go against.

As far as the safety of it goes- I guess I am careful to never let any skin feed into the blades. I've never had a problem. When I come to an area where skin may be loose, I back off on the pressure and skim. Having said that, I don't think I'd try a skip with the CV on an old dog with warts (or any skin protuberences, for that matter.) Or over the nipples. But that's just common sense.
      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I do, but I turn the vac pressure WAY down, mainly just to suck the already cut hair off. I found that if I use it at normal speeds I DID get track marks.

Comment

Thanks Fur, yes, the suction would definitely be a problem, eh? LOL...

Well, I would probably use the skip tooths without the CV, but wanted to know if it worked. When you use a #7F with the grain, and with the CV, you get LINES, and I wondered if the skip tooths had the same or a similar problem when using the CV.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I have never tried a skip w/the CV, but if I do, I will be very cautious. In fact I will probably stay away from the 7 skip and stick to the higher blades. I am just very respectful of the 7 skip and the potential damage it could do if you run over some loose skin and the CV sucks it up. Ziiiiiip and a nasty cut before you could blink. I am not bashing those of you that do feel safe using a 7 and the CV, this is just what I wouldn't feel safe doing.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
              Tammy, I've used my skip toothed blades a lot with my CV. Yesterday, for example I did my usual #5 skip shavedown on a Newfie regular. She comes out smooth as silk. In fact, every time I do it she comes out so smooth I am tempted to take my regular #5 and do a line next to it to compare. I can't imagine that she could look any smoother. For her I keep the regulator open.

And today I did two miniature schnauzers with a #5 skip and my CV. The look is not quite what I'd call as smoothe as on the Newf, but it's a very natural, nice finish. I did one of them with the reg open and the other with it 1/2 open. I think for these two dogs to get the really plush smooth look, though, I'd have to go with the #7, but that would probably be a tad shorter than the owner wants.

I've also plowed through some very matted coats, when necessary, of course, with the #7 skip and the CV.

It all depends upon the look I want and they type of hair, but I found that the 4, 5 and 7 F blades did not necessarily do a great job on all coats. In many cases the skips leave a natural, even-looking finish, better than the Fs. I'm talking about going with the grain. When I really want short and ultra-smooth I use the Fs and go against.

As far as the safety of it goes- I guess I am careful to never let any skin feed into the blades. I've never had a problem. When I come to an area where skin may be loose, I back off on the pressure and skim. Having said that, I don't think I'd try a skip with the CV on an old dog with warts (or any skin protuberences, for that matter.) Or over the nipples. But that's just common sense.

Thanks blue, I've always trusted your knowlege. I DO want that more natural look, I HAVE used skip tooths--just not with the CV, wanted to know if it made lines.

IF I tried it, it would be with the regulator open FOR SURE, no loose skin, warts, etc...Over the nipples? OH MY GOSH, no way!!!! That's an accident (a mastectomy, LOL) waiting to happen. I simply wanted to know if it worked!

Thank you again for all your input.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Blue

How do you keep your CV from getting clogged up using it on matted dogs? I have the iVac, and I swear it gets clogged so easily! I only use it on matt free dogs. So what is you trick? Please let me in on the secret....lol
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

not exactly what you asked as I have never had the privledge of using a CV but I had to say that I love the look of skips on thick harsh terrier coats. Did a #4 skip on a westie yesterday and just love the way they look

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                    How do you keep your CV from getting clogged up using it on matted dogs? I have the iVac, and I swear it gets clogged so easily! I only use it on matt free dogs. So what is you trick? Please let me in on the secret....lol
                    Of course, some matting will just be too much for the vac systems.... in which case I'll forego it and zip it off with a regular 7 or 10.

But, some things will help... I clip slowly enough to not let big chunks of hair feed in all at the same time. And, using a skip does seem to help. I haven't had any clogs with the CV- not sure if the iVac is similar- maybe your hose is smaller?
                    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post

Several people have mentioned this and I do get the impression that the hose is smaller on the iVAC than on the CV or Taxi vac.

I do matted dogs with the CV, but not SEVERELY matted, as it will just clog it.

Sheila, don't give up on that vacuum thing! It just takes time. After you get used to it, clipping without it sucks---ok, no pun intended!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

You guys reminded me

and I used a 5 skip on the thickest coated standard Poodle I've ever seen that I do. I can barely get anything through it. But the 5 skip did get through better than 5 F. I am very experienced and careful so as not to clip where skin in such a way for skin to get caught in it, such as down the loin,not across the bottom. I use a 10 around elbows, and underarms. Also I bathed first, dryed the head, ears and tail, then while still damp on the undryed body, I clipped away. It did give a look of more hair (a 4 wouldn't even go tbrough). By the time I got the dog all clipped the body was dry. What a time saver. The coat did clog up my Taxi Vac a bit, but often I'd just gather the globs of hair and toss it first. And that was with a non-matted dog.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                          and I used a 5 skip on the thickest coated standard Poodle I've ever seen that I do. I can barely get anything through it. But the 5 skip did get through better than 5 F. I am very experienced and careful so as not to clip where skin in such a way for skin to get caught in it, such as down the loin,not across the bottom. I use a 10 around elbows, and underarms. Also I bathed first, dryed the head, ears and tail, then while still damp on the undryed body, I clipped away. It did give a look of more hair (a 4 wouldn't even go tbrough). By the time I got the dog all clipped the body was dry. What a time saver. The coat did clog up my Taxi Vac a bit, but often I'd just gather the globs of hair and toss it first. And that was with a non-matted dog.
                          Never thought of using one on a poodle. I'll keep that in mind.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                          X