Recirculating Bathing systems question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recirculating Bathing systems question

Ok, I have NEVER seen one of these in action. I have used the NON-recirculating hydrosurge, but the pressure stinks.

I am thinking of making my own bathing system using a sump pump. But I'd like to know how they work. I believe you fill the tub with water (not full, I know that!), but what about the shampoo? That's where I get lost---where does the shampoo come in, and how much do you use? It seems like you'd have to pump a lot into the tub of water, so what am I missing here?

And if I want more pressure, I would need to buy a sump pump that is geared for that, no?

Thank you muchly.

Tammy in Utah
    Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 02-17-07, 07:13 AM.
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I have the Bathing Beauty by Hanvey. With it you only need 1/4" of water in the tub. So for the shampoo, you just put a squirt in the tub near the BB and it sucks it up and sends it into the mix. I love my BB. The pressure is great and maintanence is so easy. My husband said it would be easy to make one, but I knew he'd never get around to it.lol
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I put about 1-2 ounces of shampoo (depending on the concentration) in about 2 gallons of water in the tub.... You can dilute your shampoo much more than manufacturer recommendation in a recirculator and get the dogs much cleaner than hand or even the fresh-mix Hydrosurge.

Comment

I Spikey! Just a week ago I made my own system. I bought a 1/6 hp sump pump that moves about 30 gallons per minute. I picked it up at my local hardware store, and it was already wired and water hose ready. I used a water hose with a water hose attachment at first, and I wasn’t happy with the pressure. I think the attachment I purchased had tiny pinholes and it wasn’t allowing the water to come through fast enough. I ended up finding a hose attachment made for a bathing system on ebay. After putting that on the pump, it made a HUGE difference. I bathed my Doberman at home the other day, and I had to turn the pressure down (there is a switch on the side of the hose.) The water was forceful enough it was bouncing off his body and over the side of my tub.

As far as shampoo goes, I just add a little to the water. I’m still learning about how much I need to use. You only need anywhere from about 1 inch to 3inches of water in the tub for the pump to sit in. You just add the shampoo to that water. You don’t need a lot to get the dog clean. A little goes a long way. I would like to get a better calculation of how much others use, but then again it may also depend on the shampoo your using. Oh, one VERY important thing, my dad is an electrician so he was able to wire a plug to the system that has a ground fault interrupter built in for safety. He has also found a switch to add next time that has a remote so I don’t have to unplug it every time I’m finished with a dog. I’m really glad I decided to make my own, I probably only invested about $100-$120 to make my own.

Comment

Same as Borzoi Mom

I put a squirt in a couple or more inches of water either near the Bathing Beauty or move the Bathing Beauty over the squit place. Squirt amount can depend on the dirtyness of the dog, just as the amount of water in the tub can depend on size and coat of the dog. A big ol double coated dog gets more water and shampoo. The Hanvey has an air on and off push switch that I usually have right there in the tub so can turn it off with ease while my hand is still on the dog if it gets close to running dry due to the coat soaking up all the water. Hanvey also has an adjuster on the nozzle, one hand adjustable, so I can turn the flow real low for face and then anywhere up to the full 16 gallons per minute for getting down to the skin on all my dogs.

The ease of the squirt of concentrate shampoo is great for Housecall, a 16 oz bottle can last a heck of a long time that way and no mixing, and hauling gallon jugs of shampoo.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

recirc bathing system

I do it differently.

(Hubby made mine)
            I set the pump in an 8 gallon bucket on the floor next to my tub. Fill the bucket with as much water as I need for the dog then add up to a quarter cup of concentrated shampoo depending on what's needed. Plug the pump into a ground fault circuit breaker outlet- important- and wash away. When the bucket is empty I unplug the pump and let the dog soak while I clean ears and wash the face. Then the dog gets completely rinsed and conditioner is applied.

I probably use more shampoo doing it this way, but I like that the dog is not getting rebathed with the water falling off him back into the tub. Putting the pump in a bucket eliminates that.

Erica

Comment

Who makes the best re-cirulating pumps?

What is the best re-circulating pump to buy for those of us who don't know how to make them safely?

Comment

Depends on who you ask

Originally posted by DAPER DAWG View Post
                What is the best re-circulating pump to buy for those of us who don't know how to make them safely?
                I love my Hanvey Bathing Beauty. It gets banged around a lot as in different situations in Housecall Grooming and keeps on ticking.

While it is good to make your own, and saves money, I do like the warrenty and feel better considering the thought of what if a dog is hurt or perceived to be hurt. I like that if I ever ended up in court I would not be saying: Judge I used a sump pump meant for fish ponds or such to bath the dog. I like that I can say I am using a product that was created for pet grooming specifically. That was worth a lot to me when I was considering products.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I love my BATHING BEAUTY! I add a small pump of undiluted shampoo to the water and bathe the dog, I drain the water, refil and add my conditioner, a spritz of Quick dry and go over the dog again (the conditoner will act as a "de-sudser" so your dog will rinse quicker with little suds.

You only need about 1-2 inches of water.

In my van, I have a stainless steel shelf that was welded into place (it is about 2 inch tall) and it goes about 7/8 of the way across the bottom of my tub and is solid on all sides. This allows my bathing beauty to sit in the shallow area, requires less water (since it only has to fill that little area). The dogs are standing out of the water, it runs off of the shelf and back into the resevoir.

I hope this makes sense, if not I will try and get pictures.

Comment

star jet washer

i have a star jet washer...it is exactly like a hydro-surge(i would say it is a recirculating system, when you say non-recirculating hydro-surge,the ones i have used are all sump-pumps, what is that?) the star jet washer is a sump pump..i have used a hydro-surge many times(which was also a sump pump) and it is exactly the same, only about 1/4 the price,seriously,..i have had mine for 3 years and it still running strong, and so much simpler to hook up!!

Comment

i have a shurflo marine pump. it is attached to a hose with a garden nozzle. very powerful. the nozzle can cut through the thickest coats and gets them all sparkly clean. can tone it down for the smaller dogs.
                      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

giggles

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
                        i have a shurflo marine pump. it is attached to a hose with a garden nozzle. very powerful. the nozzle can cut through the thickest coats and gets them all sparkly clean. can tone it down for the smaller dogs.
                        It would not be good to blow the Yorkie across the tub with a jet of water.lol

Comment

Originally posted by RoosMom View Post
                          It would not be good to blow the Yorkie across the tub with a jet of water.lol
                          LOL, poor spikey would be terrified!

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I made my own too Tammy. I got the identical pump that is used for the BB. I ended up getting the hose and nozzle through Hanvey, but it did cost me ALOT les then it would have to BUY the BB. I have given my dog a bubble bath before, because I used too much shampoo...........but I think I'm getting it down now.

Vicki

Comment

another question ....

so with the bathing systems, do you need to refill and add shampoo before each dog? this seems like it might be time consuming for a large shop.

where i work we have the shampoo tank & gun system ... we have 5 tanks; a hypo (tearless for faces & dogs with sensitive skin), dematt/conditioner, ismart (all purpose shampoo), medicated shampoo, & medicated rinse tank. we fill them at the end of the day & can do about 40 dogs without refilling. I really like the guns, but it seems like a bathing system would be faster and more efficient - but maybe not if you have to refill before each dog (40x's!).

-sheila

Comment

Working...
                              X