WOW, one little phone call...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW, one little phone call...

I have a client that brings her cute little maltese in every 3 weeks. This is the same nice lady that gave me a $95 soft-sided dog carrier (from her website) that Spike can fit in---looks like a fancy purse and I can sneak him into places, lol. It is very nice, and very nice of her to give it to me.

Anyway, I hadn't seen her in nearly 2 months, so I worried that maybe I'd made a mistake and she went somewhere else. But I wanted to make good on my promise that if a customer isn't satisfied with something, I will make it right.

So I call her. I told her I hadn't seen her in a while and worried that something happened to Chloe, or that something had happened to her (the owner), as it "wasn't like her" to not get Chloe groomed. She said, "Oh, I finally got moved into my house, very busy, etc.."

That was yesterday. Today she came in to the animal hospital with Chloe for vomiting and blue tongue/gums. She came to visit me while the vet looked at Chloe. She said she'd bought me some ribbon the other day (my favorite kind), and that they had several colors (yay!), I make cute but easy bows out of the type she bought, it's my favorite. VERY THOUGHTFUL.

So, if you wonder if you should call a client who hasn't been in for a while, DO IT. It will often show them that you care.

Oh, also, one day I had some extra time on my hands (maybe back in Sept?), I called some fairly regular clients that I hadn't seen in a while to let them know that Fluffy hadn't been groomed in a while and that I had some spaces available if they'd like an appointment. By the end of the day, at least 7 of the 10 had booked, or called back and booked an appointment. Not sure about the other 3, but the 7 made immediate appointments.

Tammy in Utah
    Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 02-16-07, 11:25 PM.
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

wow, and I was just sitting there and eating cookies.....

Comment

Edited.
      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:32 AM.

Comment

!!! How could you tell us that story and not tell us how chloe was after her vet appt and what was wrong with her? lol

Tammy, thats a good idea.. after they raised our prices again last july I have a few really good clients who havnt come back after their first appt after the price hike. (I am 15-20 dollars higher then every grooming place around and the hosp wont let me lower the prices even though even *I* think its a bit much)

Ive wanted to call them but I know they will say its the price and there is nothing I can change about that so I havnt called. Ive thought about sending cards though saying they are missed and Im here if they need me again. After your post today maybe I will!

jade

Comment

I agree

Whenever I am slow I make calls. It definitely works! Some people just get so busy they forget to call!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jadenlea;20642]!!! How could you tell us that story and not tell us how chloe was after her vet appt and what was wrong with her? lol

I was thinking the same thing!!! How is the dog? What was wrong???

Comment

Oh, sorry you guys. Chloe had some kind of cramping going on in her stomach, but they weren't sure at that point, I think they were doing some blood work, but it was at closing time so they wont get the results back until today. This woman had another dog, Sophie (maltese also) that died tragically. She was moving here to Utah and had stopped at a rest stop along the way, Sophie jumped out of the vehicle and I believe broke her back. The sad part was when she told me that nobody would help her.

I can understand people's fears of strangers at a rest stop, but I still felt bad for her.

Anyway, yes, good communication is vital, and though I feel that bit of fear, "What if they tell me something I don't want to hear?" but I DO want to hear it, if I did something wrong, I want to hear it so I can either MAKE IT RIGHT, or learn from it, or both. So far in over 10 months I've not had any complaints.

Comment

Here's a litle trick I learned with those who do not prebook. Like dogs that are coming in this week, most will be due around St. Patrick's day or a week later. So, I tell them - Rover will be due around St. Patrick's day would you like me to remind you if you are unsure of your schedule? Then, in my appointment book right at the top I write: Call Bob (#) Call Sue (#) they usually book with a phone call but I only call around 7:30 in the evening, after they are a bit relaxed and have had dinner.

Comment

maltese at the vet

Call me PARANOID!!!

Anytime I hear of a young Maltese or Yorkie vommiting I think "AHHHH Liver Shunt!!!!" Very scary.

Erica

Comment

I keep file cards and have the bathers write down all the 4 week , 6 week and 8 week dogs on index cards, Every Tues the bathers stay an extra hour to make "reminder" calls for those who haven't already rebooked. It works great I always have 15-20 dogs/day to groom, even in Jan & Feb!

Comment

A lot of my clients prebook, though not all. I'm actually steadily re-organizing everything from the way it was---and my clients are learning really quickly to pre-book because they can't get in when they want to.

My best clients all prebook a month in advance (they're every 4 weeks or less).

I'm not sure if Chloe's owner did or not, but I imagine she did. The receptionists book all of my appointments for me. That's good, and that's bad. I keep getting full-coated cockers in as ONE slot, but thankfully I can hustle a little more now, and can get them done, but it's usually only standard poodles and cockers that they enter as one slot instead of two. UGH.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Client relations is vital to a successful business. Every grooming business should have a client relations program in place before opening thier business.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                          Client relations is vital to a successful business. Every grooming business should have a client relations program in place before opening thier business.
                          The business was there long before I was, and I am having to do all of this, myself, in the amount of time I have along with grooming all day (tired). But I don't think "client relations" is a problem, as I have more than enough at this point (but who's complaining?). I have From Problems to Profits, no need to tell me the way it's done.

So tell us about your client relations program, Toomuchfun, we surely can all learn from it.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

i am glad that worked out for you. By the way, what kind of ribbon is it? Sounds special!
                            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
                              i am glad that worked out for you. By the way, what kind of ribbon is it? Sounds special!
                              I make bows from these girls hair band thingies, hard to explain. It works great though, and it's easy. Sorry I don't have any photos.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X