Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your shop smell nice?

Hey Everyone,
    I can't find the thread on making your shop smell good. I know that there was something about oils from bath and body or something like that. I don't want to burn anything but I do want my shop smelling nice. I have an air purifier but I would like something that is softly scented like vanilla (nothing too strong, just nice) I also wanted to stay away from those plug ins because the chemicals they release.

NO NO to Plug ins, not just for the chemicals. My hubby is with the fire dept. and our town has had many fires that were started by the plug ins
    I use scented candles in a container that is way larger than the candle
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy

Comment

My shop always smells good all my customers and potential customers tell me. I I forget what its called but its the oils in a jar with the sticks you can get it at pier one or target. also I burn incense or a candle just to bring a relaxing smell. and every night i use simple green and spray everything with lysol. and i aslo have fabreeze ar freshener to spray in the air every so often.

Comment

Cinnamon smells like home!

I visited a friend's shop and smelled cinnamon when I walked in the door. I wanted toast and a cup of tea. She sprinkles a dash for the vaccuum to suck up. She had a candle burning in the reception area.
        I love vanilla too.
        I have a little clay angel that I can drop some oils into and it subtlely scents my van. I think the aroma therapy works because it calms ME.

Comment

That thread was deleted due to malicious content, Grinch, but there are some scents at Bath and Body works that you can either use by burning a tealight candle underneath, OR you can buy one of their electric ones, I believe (like a candle warmer), only it heats the essential oils.

Do you groom CATS? Helly was just posting about how essential oils, I believe, are bad for cats. Not sure about dogs.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

If you have any "orphan" knee high's you can take some flavored coffe beans(unground) and put 1 cup of beans in each knee high and "hide" them around the shop, the smell lasts for a few weeks, although it may make you hungry!

Comment

My sister pours a small amount of Pine Sol into a cup and fills the rest with water. She lets it sit for a little while just to make her house smell good.

You can also try putting some plants around. My boss was given one as a Christmas present. It's called Paper White. It's seasonal, thank goodness. I would recommend staying away from this one. It smells like urine. So nasty. It got put in my grooming section because nobody in the boarding section could stand the smell of it. I am always using shampoo or spray conditioners or something so I hardly ever smelled it. Such a relief, it is horrible... Don't even know why that plant still exists. I can't imagine anyone actually liking the smell of urine. Even the botanist I spoke with told me to just throw it away. It is annual and smells like urine. Her exact words.

Or buy some candles. You don't have to burn them, just place them strategically around your shop and they will let off a faint scent.
              Becky

Comment

I can't get the smell out HELP!!!

Okay I have this bad odor and I scrubed my floors with lysol and bleach, is this normal to have a smell that just does not go away? I do light a vanilla candle to mask it but after the day is over and the candle smell leaves, that stink still remains. PLEAE HELP! Thanks

Comment

My husband works with me and he hates scent candles, Plug ins...all you can think of. I use Kelco disinfect spray and Les Poochs shampoos, so far, I am content with them.

Comment

If you're going to use candles, use a candle warmer instead! Your candle will last longer, the scent is the same, and there is no flame.

There are now candle warmers that have a pretty little lamp that goes over the TOP of the candle, so the candle doesn't take as long to give its scent with the candle warmer. They look nice too. We got them at Tai Pan Trading Co.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Essential oils do pose a problem for cats, although probably not if you're just grooming them and sending them home. If you have a cat that's boarding, or one that lives in your shop, they're probably at greater risk of harm.

Burning candles or incense? Check with your fire department to see if how you're burning them is a violation of local fire codes.

The coffee bean suggestion is a good one. But I'd probably find myself drinking even more coffee than I already do, lol.

If you have an extra coffee maker, you could brew up some spices instead of coffee; cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole nutmegs would be a nice blend. Or vanilla beans, lemon or grapefruit peal.

Comment

charcoal brickettes are good for removing odors, just put a layer of them in a flat shallow box, and put them where the odor is. hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          The coffee bean suggestion is a good one. But I'd probably find myself drinking even more coffee than I already do, lol.

If you have an extra coffee maker, you could brew up some spices instead of coffee; cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole nutmegs would be a nice blend. Or vanilla beans, lemon or grapefruit peal.
                          No offense intended to the person who first posted that, but the smell of coffee gags me, lol. I do love citrus scents, however, would love to have a fresh lemon, orange or grapefruit scent throughout my shop. Also, the citrus scent of Lemon is supposed to be a natural "pick me up", not sure if that is true or not, but it makes me feel good when I smell it.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I spritz D'limonade dip around the shop, and have also been using Downy fabric softner mixed w/water in a spray bottle. Smells very nice!
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have a candle warmer in my lobby and 2 air wick sprayers.....one in the lobby, one in the groom room. Theyre on timers and spray every so many minutes. I also clean like there is no tomorrow.......everyday. One lady told me she could smell my shop from outside the building! lol. I do have incense that I light if someone has had an accident, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X