Pet store wants me to groom a puppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet store wants me to groom a puppy?

I received a call on my answering machine that a newly opened petstore has a bichon puppy they want me groom. First of all, I went in there last month, thinking Oh yeah, a new place to buy stuff for my crew. When I went in I was shocked, there were about 10 puppies who couldn't have been over 10 weeks old on the floor. There were 6 of them cuddled together in a dog bed, and some of the other ones were playing. People were going in and out of the store. Puppies ranged from chihuahuas to shih tzus,yorkies, coca-poos.
    I was thinking how those poor puppies were being exposed to all kinds of things, and without all their shots. The yorki's price was $2400!!!!! I was very upset to say the least. So what is a girl to do? What do I tell her? Oh, the other strange thing is, when we (my husband and I) were there, she saw my van, and commented that her best friend owned the salon down the street (and I've heard she's really good.) Could this be a setup, or am I just being paranoid???lol
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

If her best friend owns the salon down the street, that's who needs to groom this poor puppy-not you. I won't even buy a dog biscuit in a store that sells puppies. Yes, it could be a set up. Puppy could be sick, and they're looking for someone ELSE to blame. Or other senarios. No way no how would I touch this, and neither should you IMO.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Be careful, if a sold puppy becomes sick, you don't want the pet store owner tell people something like " oh, I take good care of my puppies and they all came from vet checked breeders, it must caught the illness from the groomer. " .

Comment

I would personally politely decline the request although not necessarily attribute it to your worries or conscience. Just like the above poster, I personally don't purchase anything from a pet store that sells puppies or kittens.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
          If her best friend owns the salon down the street, that's who needs to groom this poor puppy-not you. I won't even buy a dog biscuit in a store that sells puppies. Yes, it could be a set up. Puppy could be sick, and they're looking for someone ELSE to blame. Or other senarios. No way no how would I touch this, and neither should you IMO.
          That's what I was going to say---why doesn't she ask her "best" friend?"

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

RUN! No way would I be touching puppies from there if her best friend owns the shop down the street.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

So, how do I politely tell her no? I'm really at a loss with this one. Can I blame it on the fact that the puppy doesn't have all its shots?
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I would conveniently not have any openings for quite some time!!

Comment

No Way

Syay Away From That One

Comment

I wouldn't groom for the pet store. I prefer to not be affiliated in any way to pet stores that sell puppies. I won't buy pet food/supplies from them and would n't feel right doing business with them. Their "friend" can groom the dog.

Comment

Just bring up that fact that you don't feel comfortable grooming a puppy from her store. tthat you don't want to upset her friend and should really ask her to do it.
                      Becky

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                        Just bring up that fact that you don't feel comfortable grooming a puppy from her store. tthat you don't want to upset her friend and should really ask her to do it.
                        What a good idea

Comment

i think this is perfect ......

posted by misscatahoul - "I prefer to not be affiliated in any way to pet stores that sell puppies." That is what I would say ... be honest. Personally, I would also tell them that I am involved in rescue and that is why.

Comment

Originally posted by DogChic View Post
                            posted by misscatahoul - "I prefer to not be affiliated in any way to pet stores that sell puppies." That is what I would say ... be honest. Personally, I would also tell them that I am involved in rescue and that is why.
                            I agree with this idea. Only thru education will people learn that all pet store puppies come from puppy mills, etc. I would see grooming those puppies as enabling them to continue selling them.

Maybe "Ethically, I don't agree with pet stores selling puppies, so I can't in good conscious enter that business relationship. But thank you for your offer!"

Comment

Say that you are not set up for commercial customers due to taxes, etc. she'll have no idea what you are talking about and then say "thanks for thinking of me, Bye!". Kind of a BS answer but will work if you don't feel the need to let her know how you feel about pet shops, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X