MYTH-washing mats will make them tighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MYTH-washing mats will make them tighter

....yes, they may if you wash the dog and then just let the dog air dry.

I was reading the info on a new shop and it said that all brush out of mats is done before the bath because bathing will make them tighter and be harder to brush out after. I do not agree this is necessarily true for the professional grooming procedure.

When I first learned to groom I was taught the above. De-matting was very frustrating, and I felt bad brushing out even relatively small matts...and my hands and wrists hurt. Then I went to my first Intergroom and learned better ways.

First of all, many mats can be brushed out during the bath, while the dog is soaped up, or conditioned up, and the dog does not get stressed at all.

Some mats can be blown apart with an HV or stand dryer. I will spray a mat with demat spray, and with the nozzle pointed towarrd the mat, pick away at it with a brush. Many come apart pretty easily, again with no stress on the dog.

I rarely have dogs get upset at me when I brush out their mats or nots because I do it this way, and my wrists and hands don't hurt.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

So true furrybestjob! When I first started learning grooming it was always taught that the proper way to demat dogs was before bathing as well. I think that this is a really great post because there seems to be a lot of questions about this now that the accepted dematting technique has changed. Excellent Information!

Comment

When working at the first shop I was hired at, de-matting, and pre-clipping were the standard. That was all I knew. Then I started to work at the second shop, a "From Problems to Profits" shop, and learned better. WOW, what a difference.

I also get off all the little poopies stuck to their bums and the eye goopies in the bath. Unless the poopy butt is REALLLLLY bad, then I might shave it off before hand.

Definitely don't demat first. I went to visit that shop I first worked at, as I love the owners, they're such nice, good people, and saw the same thing all over again. The groomers were de-matting a dirty dog. The shop had bought two groomers helpers and weren't using them, I thought "Give 'em to me, Give 'em to me!!!!

I also saw a groomer on this website stating that washing a matted dog wasn't a good idea, but I disagree. It's easier to de-mat clean mats than dirty ones. I'm glad that I learned this, it saves me a lot of work. Just today I had a black cocker that was 2 weeks over-due. He was quite the mess, but I was able to loosen up a lot of those mats, and safely clip him LONGER than one would have expected.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

washn those mats

I always do most of the de-matting in the tub..also all the double coats are done in the tub...sure is nice to have a bather for that job now lol my wrists are so happy!

Comment

I learned that bathing made mats tighter also but have since learned

The first place I worked made you demattd, clip and brush out before the bath because you had bathers to do your dog and they wanted to "make it easier for them". I didn't know any better, but then I came on this board and bought notes from the grooming table and now know better. Wow what a time and body saver. My co-workers still don't believe me and give me a hard time whenever I throw it in the bath and then dematt it Oh well their loss. I just copied the page out of the book for my co-worker and highlighted it hopefully it can help her too.
          Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 02-19-07, 02:28 AM.

Comment

You guys are so right!! When I first started grooming not only did we dematt, but we practically groomed the dog before he went in, then redid it after the bath! What a waste of time and equipment that was! Now, with few exceptions, all of my grooms go DIRECTLY to the tub then drying table. It makes for a much easier, quicker and more plesant groom (no more working on dirty, smelly dogs). My exceptions are lion cut or shave down cats, and some super matted dogs. I have started to wet shave my OAY's last summer, but there are some that I use my discretion on and pre clip.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

As groomers we know how to de-mat a dog but I always tell clients that the dog must be mat-free before they bathe the dog at home.

Comment

I'm not an official groomer yet but I always wash my Shih Tzu then dematt. It just seems easier, I tried the other way and we were both frustrated. I'm glad that this is getting out in the open, and maybe that myth will go to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by gemdach View Post
                  As groomers we know how to de-mat a dog but I always tell clients that the dog must be mat-free before they bathe the dog at home.
                  Gemdach brings up a good point---It drives me crazy when they bathe the dog at home and leave it to air dry. UGH...

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by gemdach View Post
                    Yes, owners need to be told not to wash a pet with matts.. I tell them all the time not to wash a pet that has matts.. What we say is not always what we do..

Comment

dematting

I totally agree with all of the above...it is so much easier to do it in the tub or after!!
                      Serina in Ca

Comment

i also do the same and use a lot of conditioner an them too i sometimes make my own mix of things in a bottle that seems to work great i mix the conditioner in a 32oz bottle with a little less conditioner concentrate than usual and add quicker slicker from natures specialties and a few drops of the gel silk n finish concentrate also from natures specialties mix it it real good and apply like conditiner on them then rinse and the dogs always look and feel great after (don't rinse all the way)

Comment

Same with me other shop I worked at dogs were pre-clipped, brushed out, dematted, ears & nails all before the bath.
                          My friend and I had already figured out you could bathe first, owner came in one day and saw we had done a few that way, we were to busy to do all the prep, she proceeded to cuss us out that we were not doing our job right because she was not there to watch us, that had nothing to do with it we had seen better results by bathing first.

I also was dematting a wet dog at my present shop when one of the other groomers questioned me, she asked does that not damage the hair twice as bad doing it wet, I told her in my experience the hair clean and wet, seemed stretchier and more resilient so it dematted easier.

Comment

I don't waste any time trying to dematt before the bath. The HV does so much for you, why would you do it any differently? Splitting them apart with the dryer, and then lightly brushing through them while drying is as effective as 35 minutes of ripping through them with a splitter before the bath. I love when matts come out easily like this, the owners are usually so grateful.
                            Erin
                            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I absolutely agree.
                              And the HV is a great tool for that. You can actually see it pulling apart tangles and mats. Not to mention say I have a curly dog that it more tangled and gathered them matted. I scrub and HV, and by the time it's dry I have almost fluffy hair, almost no tangles. Imagine brushing that before the bath, probably save myself 15 minutes right there.
                              Same goes for thick dogs. I used to shave the dog before the bath with a lower blade, but now I know I can skim with a blade, scrub, and HV and by the end the longer blade slips right through. I have learned that from this board!
                              Last edited by rapuzzled; 02-19-07, 12:45 PM.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X