Wet shave question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet shave question

Ok. I've done 3 wet shaves. I heard that it leaves the coat longer then dry shaving. Granted it is a lot easier to shave a matted dog when it's wet.

But my problem. No matter what blade I use during a wet shave I always end up having to go short anyways because the coat comes out extremely uneven. 2 of the dogs were so uneven that a #7 didn't even make them look good. What am I doing wrong?

Also why bother with a wet shave with a #5 if I end up having to go over them with a #10 anyway to make them look good.
    Becky

I don't know what you're doing wrong. If I wet shave with a 5, going back over it with a 4 or 5 when it's dry will even everything out just fine. Maybe the dogs haven't been wet enough?

Comment

Have never done a wet shave. What are the advanages to doing a wet shave and when would you do one over just a regular shave?

Comment

I thought that at first, when my first dog came out all uneven. I thought I towel dried her to much. So the next dog I just wrung the water out of the feet and ears and shaved that way. The first dog wasn't an issue. I posted the pics of that one on the old board. I had to use a #10 in places anyway.

The wet shave is great, it's easier to shave a matted dog when it's wet vs. dry. You just have to take extra special care of your blades afterwards.
        Becky

Comment

I wet shave with a blade and then hand dry (to fluff the coat to the max) and then go over it with either one blade shorter, or the same blade, and it works fine.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I've never had a problem either. I don't towel dry them at all. I put them right on the table dripping wet. Maybe you towel dry too much? After I shave them I HV them and then use the same blade I first shaved them with.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
              I wet shave with a blade and then hand dry (to fluff the coat to the max) and then go over it with either one blade shorter, or the same blade, and it works fine.

Tammy in Utah

OOOOOPS! I meant I go over the dog with one blade LONGER, or the same blade. Not shorter, never had that problem. Sorry Becky, can't help ya on this one.

Tammy
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Only shave the matted areas!

Then do a normal groom.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                X