Make her look like a Golden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make her look like a Golden

Okay- about a month ago I wrote asking advice on a teddy bear cut on a goldendoodle and I got wonderful responses from all of you. Emma came in last week and I used an E comb on her and I thought she was cute. This was discussed with her mom when she dropped her off. She said she didn't want her short- she likes her fluffy. I called for her to picked up and her father asked what I did for a haircut this time and I explained it to him. He said to me that is fine "but eventually we want her to look like a Golden. We don't want her to look like a poodle". Can anyone please tell me how I can take whats pictured and make her look like a Golden? This from a man who has raised Goldens his whole life. He should have gotten another golden. My advise to people is if you don't your dog to look like a poodle don't but anything with an "oodle" on the end.
    Attached Files

lol you cant. Cute dog though. I hate to say it but Im starting to like these goldendoodles and see so many possibilities in fun things to do with them. Theyd be great in creative grooming contests with that long thick hair.

As for the man. I would have explained to him that while Emma was the color of a golden she has he coat and body structure of a poodle. Goldens have silky straight coats and emma doesnt. her hair will never lay flat, she will never have feathers or silky soft short ears and the only way to get her face short like a goldens is to shave it which will look even more like a poodle. Goldens take almost no work. run a brush over them a couple times a week. Golden doodles require hrs of brushing each week. ect However you think emma is a gorgeous dog anyway

Comment

I would tell him that the dog is a HALF POODLE and therefore you cannot get rid of that half of the dog. WHY would they buy the dog if they want it to look like a golden? And that there is no way to make that hair lay flat and smooth like a golden. It's also very light in color, while most goldens are red (though I do a couple of lighter colored goldens). Be honest with him and let him know that the dog's hair is what it is---unless you give the dog a "straightening" perm, it's not going to happen, at least not to that extent. If you're not direct and professionally honest, they WILL end up going elsewhere. You have to let them know up front what the situation is, or they will take control of the situation themselves, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

And I wouldn't suggest giving it a perm (wink).

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by jovi View Post
        Can anyone please tell me how I can take whats pictured and make her look like a Golden?.
        You don't offer hair transplants?
        The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I think he means shave her w/a 10 and the mom wants her long, they need to decide. lol.. isn't it fun, ya know hairdressers get more of this than we do.
          At least we don't have to try to make Norman into brad pitt..

Comment

I can just see it now----spending an hour blowing dry the dogs wet hair using a flat brush, like they do in the human salon!!!

Or how about using the metal foil papers to add highlights as well!!!

Of course like someone else said, a straightening perm for those dogs that want silky straight hair!!!

Hmmm....what would it cost for those upcharges?!!!!

Comment

Like a Golden?

Ok, shave the face and head completely with a #10, shave the front of all the legs down to the toes, flatten all the hair with a chemical hair straightener, let's see, anything else I missed? Oh yes, and change the personality!

A shaved doodle head is NOT a pretty sight. I had to do it once and I felt terrible about the groom. I was so embarrassed. But I told the people he was too matted.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
                I think he means shave her w/a 10 and the mom wants her long, they need to decide. lol.. isn't it fun, ya know hairdressers get more of this than we do.
                At least we don't have to try to make Norman into brad pitt..
                Very cute Kim,
                I would just tell them that making him look like a golden is impossible but that you can make him look like the cute sweet dog that he is
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

Just pull one of my tricks...Send a Golden home with this guy, and send his dog home with the Golden owner..he will be happy and they probably won't know the difference LOL

Seriously tho...I don't know what he would want. The only thing I could think of is to do the body short, leave a skirt, some fringe on the front legs, a full chest and fluffy back end (like a Cocker cut)? But I think that may look a little silly with the type of coat the dog has.

Comment

Goldendoodle

I have a customer who has an Irishdoodle (Irish SetterXPoodle) they always want me to make her look like an Irish Setter! The dog looks so dumb, I shave the head with a 7, back with a 4F, and leave the rest skirted with a f comb on the legs. I was going to shave the front of the legs, but the dog would look even worse. They love the cut, go figure!

Comment

Tell the owner we all think he looks wonderful just the way he is and leave it at that.
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I get those oodle owners here too. They own an oodle of a dog but dont want it to look like a poodle. They are insane.

Comment

Originally posted by jovi View Post
                          Can anyone please tell me how I can take whats pictured and make her look like a Golden?
                          Uhhhh....no. Looks pretty "poodle-ish" to me.

Comment

Very nice job. Looks very natural, and I think he is adorable. I hope they book very regular appointments, that dog looks like he could be a nightmare to groom if gone to long. I cannot even imagine what the husband means when he says they want it to look like a golden. Isn't going to happen. I have seen some labradoodles who have pretty straight hair and you might be able to fake it with their coats, but your doodle has a lot of poodle in it.
                            don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

If they really really wanted it to look like a golden then you could always try a springer cut on this dog. Possibly take a 4 or 5 on the face/top of head/ears to shorten them up alot. Nice tight short feet and possibly shorten up the front of the legs compared to the back of the legs.

Other than that though, there isn't much else I can think of. People just need to realize when their dog will never look like that perfect image they are thinking of. That haircut looks cute on that dog too.

Comment

Working...
                              X