HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP

I am a beginner groomer. I recently started at a shop, is it normal for beginner groomer's to get all scissoring and matting dogs and the other groomer gets all bath dogs? I do enjoy getting the experience but there is a limit I can only do so much being only a beginner. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:21 PM.

Comment

No I wouldn't say that is normal. You should all be getting an even split, even a few less scissor dogs until you are up to speed. All groomers love getting bath dogs, its a nice break, but they should be spread evenly among groomers. Sounds like they are taking advantage of the new groomer. You should tell them you are concerned with the number of full grooms you have since you are just learning.

Comment

Actually my first 2 experiences were the opposite of yours where I got all the #7 strip dogs and no long haircuts to practice on it was my quess they were just seeing what I could do and then adding things on and working me up slowly. Perhaps they think this is an area they want you to learn first and quickly for some reason. Talk to your boss and say I really need to learn this but so many in a row make me feel stresses or something like that keeping it positive while letting him/her know you feel a bit overwhelmed.

Comment

I know when I started I got all the dogs that nobody else wanted...the more difficult to handle, the very matted ones, the cockers, lol! All the groomers did grooming dogs only and only did baths if the bather was out for some reason. I think all of us have "paid our dues" in one way or another. Believe me, the experience you'll gain from them will be priceless in the future.
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

They are really trying to break you in fast lol. Or just break you. When I went mobile, I got every matted do in the county.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Bath dogs = easy money. This is one thought. The other is that they're trying to train you with a baptism of fire.

If it's too much for you, tell your boss. You're only human, and can only withstand so much.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Depends on your employer. I'd say yes it's normal, starting out I also got all the dogs no one wanted to do. Like furry best said this experience will be priceless. On the other hand there is a limit, and they could be trying to find yours. I've had bosses before admit (afterwards) they were trying to find my "breaking" point..ugh. I would mention it casually, like, "are u guys trying to kill me or what"? Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X