Puppy Mill Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy Mill Dog

This is a copy of email I received. It broke my heart to see a dog in this kind of condition.

NEWS

PUPPYMILL RESCUE PICTURE

by Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D.,
    CTCA President, www.CotonClub.com
    mail to: [email protected]

Lia Berez in Atlanta, mom to Ollie and Merlot of Crabapple Cotons, writes:

Dr Russell,
    If this photo doesn't convince people that puppy millers are evil, I don't know what will. You may want to keep it for your files the next time someone asks what is so wrong with a puppy mill or a pet shop. I know I sure will. Poor baby, I hope he survives his terrible physical condition so he can know the joy of loving and being loved by humans instead of only suffering from their greed.

Dr. Russell replies:

Lia forwarded us the following email from a Yahoo Group "The Atlanta RescueRailroad." It was entitled "Dog rescued from a commercial puppy mill in Lancaster County, Pa." The puppy mill was an Amish farm, one of many licensed by the USDA that routinely keep hundreds of small companion dogs in pens and cages. The dogs endure the cold, many die. Their offspring are harvested and sent to pet shops directly or they are sold on the internet through deceptive ads (e.g., "Lovingly home raised Coton puppies...") or they are wholesaled out to the Hunte Corporation. These are the puppies of abuse that unscrupulous dog registries like the AKC are so eager to register.

As you read this email and look at the horrific photograph, bear in mind that Cotons sold through pet shops or through unaffiliated "independent" breeders on the internet may well have parents that look like the dog in the picture. Also remember that the imported Coton you may have bought could very well have "Champion" parents in a similar European puppy mill...

Dog rescued from a commercial puppy mill
    in Lancaster County, PA

The old saying "a picture tells a thousand words" would be an understatement in this graphic picture which clearly portrays what is wrong with a society where the inspection process designed to protect those animals being bred commercially could go so dramatically wrong.

If what mankind has done to this beautiful creature doesn't portray how greed trumps the profits made by breeding misery all for the production of sellable pups doesn't paint an ugly picture on society as a whole and specifically the callous attitude in Lancaster County Pa then I can't for the life of me imagine what horrible act of animal cruelty would.

We in the rescue community need to let our elected officials know that we fully expect enforcement of all the laws that are supposed to prevent acts like this from happening to defenseless creatures who's sole purpose is to supply commercially farmed puppies. Lancaster County should be ashamed.

Crossposting: This photo is very upsetting. Please crosspost- please - we need to get the word out - this inhumane treatment of animals must STOP!

We don't know how old he is. We just know that he spent his whole life in a Commercial Breeding facility in Lancaster County, fully licensed by the state of PA. We know that this breeder was inspected three times in the last year and a half. No violations. How could a representative walk by this dog three times and not issue a vet check? He is suffering from malnutrition, dehydration, ulcers in both eyes (permanent damage), mange, infections in both ears, and what's left of his teeth will need to be pulled if and when he is strong enough. He had numerous parasites and is being treated for a very contagious organism that's attacking his intestinal tract. The Vet who is now treating him tells me he is one of the sweetest dogs they have ever met. Can anyone tell me why this is allowed to continue? Look at his spine. I hope and pray that things will change soon.

Dr. Russell continues:

There are things that you can do to help end this abuse:

(1) GET ON A SOAP BOX: tell everyone who might listen about
    the cruelties generated by the breeders of pet shop puppies and
    their support infra structure of politicians and dog registries.
    Make commercial animal abuse a big political issue in your area;

(2) BOYCOTT THE AKC AND AKC BREEDERS. Do not support
    their income by attending AKC events or hiring AKC
    judges. The AKC supports puppy mills because they get
    money from them. Let the AKC management know clearly
    that their continued support of puppy mills and the Hunte
    Corporation will hurt their income.

(3) SUPPORT BREEDERS WHO ADHERE TO AN ENFORCED
    CODE OF ETHICS. Ask their club's officials what sort of
    ethics code violations have been acted upon by their
    organization. Don't be fooled by meaningless claims;
    remember, bad breeders and ineffectual organizations lie.

(4) VISIT A LOCAL RESCUE SHELTER AND ASK HOW YOU CAN HELP;
    Contact Jane Arrington (UCARE Rescue: [email protected])
    and ask how you might help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    (c)2007 Dr. R. J. Russell & the CTCA
    DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...
    Attached Files

That poor baby. Being on the board of the humane society, I can go on all day with horror stories. People can be so cruel. But I am a believer of what comes around, goes around. They (the puppy millers) will have a higher power to answer to.
    Bless his heart he is recieving help.
    some people need to be shot.

Comment

I am at a loss for words I’m so upset. I gasped and cried after seeing that picture. That’s is so awful. I hope the poor puppy gets healthy and find a good home. Shame on the people who used this poor innocent dog for a puppy machine.

Comment

Absolutely heartbreaking. Yes, this world can be a very cruel place, that's for sure. I don't understand how someone can look into a dog's eyes and do the things they do.

I do hope there is a happy ending to this story and that there is a future post of how wonderful he is doing.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

akc has cracked down alot about registering dogs to people that are over registring...now ckc has picked up where akc cut off.

Comment

I knew I shouldn't have looked at that.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have a good idea what farm he came from. There are so many around here it is hard to say for sure. In general, not to say that all are like that, but the Amish around here don't look at animals as pet or having feelings. I have been to many of the horse auctions where they have horses almost dead that they are whipping to get up. I have FREAKED on quite a few Amish. One was a puppymill. I was so horrified that I threatened the lady and screamed obsenities. Stupid I know but most of the dogs looked like the little guy in the pic. They had a 13 yr old lab that just had pups 5 of them and only 1 lived. Gee, I wonder why. Oh yeah, they had a dead cow laying there too. Can't feed the dogs, but they sure as heck can eat and get fat.
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

How sad, that poor little guy.

How can humans do such a terrible thing to a living, breathing, feeling creature? They should be hung by their toes and skinned, evil evil people.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

It's kind of ironic that this story comes from Lancaster PA, considering our biggest show "Groom Expo" brings tourist money to Lancaster every September.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                    I have a good idea what farm he came from. There are so many around here it is hard to say for sure. In general, not to say that all are like that, but the Amish around here don't look at animals as pet or having feelings. I have been to many of the horse auctions where they have horses almost dead that they are whipping to get up. I have FREAKED on quite a few Amish. One was a puppymill. I was so horrified that I threatened the lady and screamed obsenities. Stupid I know but most of the dogs looked like the little guy in the pic. They had a 13 yr old lab that just had pups 5 of them and only 1 lived. Gee, I wonder why. Oh yeah, they had a dead cow laying there too. Can't feed the dogs, but they sure as heck can eat and get fat.
                    I know what you mean. I've seen some pretty horrendous things at auctions, too. And like you, I've freaked on people. One time, well, I won't go into details, but it involved a horse whip...and not on the horse.

Comment

Edited.
                      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That poor baby!!! I am so glad that he was rescued, but it makes me wonder how many others there are that are in just as bad if not worse shape!! It is hard to believe that this "farm" was actually inspected. Who ever the inspector is needs to get another job, hopefully one not involving live animals!!! Instead of the government making more laws to prohibit this kind of horror, how about they inforce the laws we already have!!

I have been to Amish farms in MO, and to be honest I don't think that they take much better care of their kids. Some of the children I saw did not seem to be the healthiest or appear to be the best fed. My aunt has a nurse friend who goes to the farms to try to encourage the people in medical care and vaccinations. She said that sooooo many of them are suffering the effects of bad nutrition and parasites. Of course most of the sufferers are the little girls. I am not bashing the Amish. I like a lot of their customs and quaint ways, but I just wish they would at least advance in care for their children and animals! I assume that the gov't doesn't step in more because of freedom of religion.
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          I know what you mean. I've seen some pretty horrendous things at auctions, too. And like you, I've freaked on people. One time, well, I won't go into details, but it involved a horse whip...and not on the horse.
                          And that's why you and I get along lol
                          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                          X