17 year old Shih Tzu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year old Shih Tzu

The other day I got a call asking me if I would attempt a 17 yr old Shih Tzu. She said she had been turned down by other groomers due to his age, and that he did have some matting but that he was used to grooming, her previous groomer was just too far to drive. I told her I would give it a try!

When she came in last sat. I had her stay a minute while I started him JUST in case.

I have to say, he was the sweetest old man......he wagged his tail the whole time. I made him look like the little stud muffin he is.....lol. It was just a relief that the dog I was leery of doing, ended up being such a good lil man.
    He won my heart!

Good for you! I love the tail waggers...so long as they don't wag it right into my clipper vac!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Awesome, I'll bet the owner was happy too
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

Your customer is happy, the dog is happy, and you're happy. What more can a groomer ask for? You didn't mention if the dog had any health problems or not, but I groom a number of older dogs, and would never guess they were that old. Some older dogs are actually very healthy.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I have a 20 yr old chihuahua/terrier x that comes in; you'd never believe she's that old; she has so much pep! I also have a mini poodle that's turning 17 in May; she was turned down by other groomers in the area because of her age. She's a sweet dog and the owners are great. They adopted her at 11 when her owner died.

Comment

I love a happy ending! I'm glad he found a groomer who has already given him a special place in her heart!
            Sheri

Comment

I have a soft spot for old fellers and have a lot of them for customers. It is amazing how long pets are living now because of advances in nutrition and care. Not to long ago it was very unusual to see a dog that lived past 13 or so and the larger breeds were "old" by the time they were 7 or 8. Thank goodness for advances in veternary health and nutrition!!
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                I have a soft spot for old fellers and have a lot of them for customers. It is amazing how long pets are living now because of advances in nutrition and care. Not to long ago it was very unusual to see a dog that lived past 13 or so and the larger breeds were "old" by the time they were 7 or 8. Thank goodness for advances in veternary health and nutrition!!
                Awww 17?? Wow I love the old doggies to. My neighbor has a english bull dog thats 14 and he's blind. The weird part is he can always find me and tries to mate with my leg. Everytime I go over there I have black and blues on my legs the next day. I love that big oldie though. lol

Comment

Awwww, I love old doggies! My fave!
                  I wonder why other shops turned him away just for old age...not health problems, just old...
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Edited.
                    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:26 PM.

Comment

That is so wonderful! I love happy endings like that. And what a sweet little guy.

Comment

He was in good health other then a growth by his rear end and could barely see....and surprisingly, he was a bit chunky! I expected him to be a bit leery of the clippers on his face due to being almost blind, but he didnt move a muscle. He was an old timer to grooming, and I just kept telling him that he was being such a good boy!!!!!!! The woman also has a 7 yr old Shih Tzu at home that she is bringing in soon as well. AND the owner was so appreciative & great too! A win/win situation!

Comment

I love those oldies but goodies too. Glad it went well. My oldest client ever was a little parti min poo years ago. Heidi lived to the ripe old age of 22! She jogged with her young owner til she was 15! Heidi came to her owner as a puppy, grew up with her, high school, college, and marriage before she crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
                          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Good for you!

This poor ol fella probably feels like a pup again thanks to you! Often I turn down ol boys and girls. Usually can't touch them..don't want them to die on mNext time take a photo save some clean fur...when he does croos the bridge you ca put fur in clear plastic Christmas ornament with name in puff paint for them...people appreciate little sentimental touches like that.Now he can look good til the end. hope she keeps regular for his sake.

Comment

I did a new min. poodle that was that old and was real nervous about doing it. It seemed to be verily healthy when it came in, so I thought maybe it might live thru the grooming after all, hoping that it would be a good dog to groom too. It was the best and when it went out you would have thought it was only 5 years old. What a relief. I have never lost a dog and I always think there is always a first.

Comment

Working...
                              X