Who comes first????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who comes first????

My salon has been open for 8 weeks now, and I starting to wonder about employees. Which one should come first another groomer or a bather/big helper. I'm not ready right now, but I wanted some advice to think about.

bather

i would suggest a bather ... and i believe so would the book 'from problems to profits.' this will allow you to do additional grooms ... and a bather can do ALL of your bath & nails dogs (after a little training to do nails and light desheds). these dogs are the bread & butter of a grooming business as they do not require a full time experienced groomer which will cost YOU a lot more than a bather. a bather can also help you out with cleaning and assisting with difficult dogs saving you time and reducing your stress.

Comment

When I am ready to bring on someone else it will be a bather.. Then concentrate on the grooming only
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

I agree , a bather...properly trained they can bring in alot of business that will free you up for grooming more dogs also...then if you get even busier, add a groomer...good luck in keeping a bather though! they are like a revolving door!

Comment

Hired but not working

I Thought we might have open doors open house that date.was hired for a new grooming shop way back before Dec 7th, my birthday.Opened late Jan. welll. before the 11th day i got coimputer. Had dry (very wet) run several Sats ago. I was offering MON WED FRI and occassional Sat. Be3n by ...they even have my photo on wedsite. No calls to come groom. We'lll casll you they say. Hired another groomer I know from APPGA who has worked at 3 places since Jan. Won't go into detail...she already cried and sulked when another groomer got a dog cuz hubby of other groomer gave wifes card. @9yrs old... me 30 yrs grooming. AGE NOT 20S BUT 61!. This girl has done numerous dogs nd even shows not so good before and after on website...me nThe only difference is I do own my own mobile... but set aside days for them.one, not even Halle day of dry run!Halle is show quality but small. My Schn.They know I want to phase out of mobile. Also wanted me to teach whenever that gets going. One good thing...steps up to bath area has NO side railings! Accident waiting to happen. Unlawful! See them at APPGA meeting dinner...sat next to owner/mother. nice. but didn't talk to me much. So now I jut go on as if they are not there ..mobile as usual. They sure were not taking turns...or being fair. Bus. slow...could use trhe work.I am the ONLY groomer w/ experience. others just out of school or blind leading the blind so to speak. Honest..the photos are embarrassing of dogs so far before and afters.

Comment

Edited.
            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Oh my goodness....let me tell you LOL I started my biz in mid sept and have recently hired my neighbor as a bather/asst. What a HELP!!!!!!!!! She answers phones, will bathe & dry dogs for me.....cleans up crates/etc. She is a godsend!

Comment

Hiring another groomer would be your first big mistake. Start with a bather. Let them do the bath dogs, from beginning to finish, pay them hourly, and then you can keep the rest. Bath dogs is where the money is, especially when you have a bather!

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Not My shop

Spikey, This shop is not mine....no contract,no responsibility. The people they have as comber /bathers are on weekends family...Husband, son, daughter no training. Groomers on off days. They advertised in paper.After Valentines a Grand Opening. I think it not fair that they gave G. dogs and I have not had one yet. She is also a member of APPGA and Pam who gets her all past grooming jobs as well as this one. She is interviewing at yet another place this coming week to work moth or there til Poochini gets going. They should. red the book. They can't even pay themselves let alone more groomers. Tech I am not employed w/ them only have name up at station and photo on website. I can live without them...it just wasn't professional of them. or nice.I don't Want to work more....Less with more money per dog. I actually would get half of what I get alone anyway. I thought if I did enough for self in van first + 3 days there , I could eventually phase out mobile and summer teach, show n' tell.Oh wellll.

Comment

Bather!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryCanines View Post
                      Oh my goodness....let me tell you LOL I started my biz in mid sept and have recently hired my neighbor as a bather/asst. What a HELP!!!!!!!!! She answers phones, will bathe & dry dogs for me.....cleans up crates/etc. She is a godsend!
                      This is the next step for me too! I am looking forward to having another set of hands around to help out. Definitely a bather/do a little of everything type assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                        Spikey, This shop is not mine....no contract,no responsibility. The people they have as comber /bathers are on weekends family...Husband, son, daughter no training. Groomers on off days. They advertised in paper.After Valentines a Grand Opening. I think it not fair that they gave G. dogs and I have not had one yet. She is also a member of APPGA and Pam who gets her all past grooming jobs as well as this one. She is interviewing at yet another place this coming week to work moth or there til Poochini gets going. They should. red the book. They can't even pay themselves let alone more groomers. Tech I am not employed w/ them only have name up at station and photo on website. I can live without them...it just wasn't professional of them. or nice.I don't Want to work more....Less with more money per dog. I actually would get half of what I get alone anyway. I thought if I did enough for self in van first + 3 days there , I could eventually phase out mobile and summer teach, show n' tell.Oh wellll.
                        Mustluvdogs, I'm not sure what your situation is, I was responding to K-9 Designs who wants to know if she should hire a bather or another groomer. Do you have a separate question?

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I also love having the company. I was so glad when I got busy enough to hire her. I actually have someone to talk to other then the dogs Im grooming! LOL........

Comment

Another vote here for a bather. With some luck, you may get someone you can start training as a future groomer down the road.
                            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Go with the bather until you are doing at least 15-20 dogs/day. When you get your system in place then look for a groomer , for the holidays for sure. If you hire someone into a new shop they may try to express too many opinions "in the other shop they used to......." you don't want to hear that all day it will drive you nuts!

Comment

Working...
                              X