I can't believe it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe it!

I mentioned first thing this AM that I had a feeling today would be a bad day.
    End of the day rolls around, I am waiting for 2 dogs to go home...a tan ShihTzu Daisy and a white Cockapoo Gabby (both new customers). I said to my sister.."today went pretty smooth, I thought it was going to be a bad day" I spoke way too soon!

Enter woman #1 for one of the dogs. I ask if she is here for Gabby. She says yes. My sister pulls the Cockapoo out, while I ring her out. Woman went on and on how cute the dog looked and how WHITE I got her. "She looks like a totally different dog" she says. She pays, takes her dog who is excited to see her, and leaves.

Enter woman #2 who looks just like woman #1. Your here for Dasiy? No..I'm here for Gabby! I laughed and said you just picked her up. No I didn't she says and looks at the cages and says..Wheres my dog? My mouth dropped! OMG I sent home the wrong dog!!! How the heck did I do that?? I panicked.

Phone rings..lady #1 "I'm not sure, but I think I have the wrong dog. My husband says he doesn't think this is our dog" I apologized up and down. She says she is on her way back with the dog. Thank God!

I've never done this before...I guess my mind has been all over the place with this pregnancy. Both of these women look alike..dark hair, tanned complexion, same height and size, approx. same age. But, what I dont understand is how the owner could take home a white Poodle when she dropped off a tan ShihTzu! SHe didn't even know it wasn't her dog until her hubby said something. She mentioned she thought something was odd because the dog sat on her lap when she drove home....her dog doesn't do that! I guess it DID look like a totally different dog! I'm not blaming the owner, but I could see if they were both the same color and/or breed of dog..but these 2 dogs didn't look anything alike!

Woman #2 I'm sure was upset, but she never showed it. Woman #2 walks in with her dog and they know each other!! Turns out they work together and have been friends for some time. What are the odds of that? So, that kinda lightened up the tension.

I really didn't know what to do. I didn't charge either one of them, and told them that if they decided to come back, I would not charge them next time either. I also told them that if they never came back I totally understood. I felt like a complete idiot. I also thanked them for not yelling at me LOL They seemed ok about the whole thing and were both laughing about it at the end. But I know they have to have bad feelings towards me.

I am really beating myself up over this. How could I have been so careless? Is there anything else I can or should do to make up for this?

Next week is my last week, then I am off for 5 weeks to have the baby...I really need a vacation after this!

ROFL! don't beat yourself up! what a dingy woman not to know her dog was not a poodle! what a dufus! LOL did you not look at the card and see hers was a poodle? or a shih-tzu? I've learned to...and you're not the only one this has happened to. I will tell you a quick story, that might make you feel better! LOL One day I had 2 maltese in...both females..of course both white..both same same same. I also had a bather...dumb dumb dumb...ok..both dogs were in cages with name plates...bather gets them mixed up..don't ask me how??????? luckily..the owners came in same time to pick up...heres the kicker..neither of them knew one from the other either! I was horrified! embarrassed..but horrified..they said I can't believe you got them mixed up, of course I explained the bather did, not me..but my remark to them both was, "I can't believe you don't know your own dog"!! I started laughing about it, what else was I going to do..? finally the lil girl said I know this is my dog...they all were still skeptical., but anyway...they each left with a dog lol and yes they paid for their grooming...it was an honest mistake and we're human...don't worry about it...it could have been worse! god forbid the other owner not bring the dog back! YIKES! lol

Comment

Don't feel bad!! We did this once with two black standard poodles...and although I felt bad, I also had to ask myself: how is it that the owners didn't recognize that this was not her dog? I could NEVER pick up the wrong dog, take it home in my car, get it to my house and STILL not know it wasn't my dog!

Comment

Um. did the lady not know her dogs name either?
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Hey, SHE'S the one who said she was picking up Gabby. You didn't decide. I never recognize one person from the next unless they're "picking up so and so". I always ask WHO (or which one) they're picking up.

Comment

Apparently woman #1 doesn't know her dog's name either, since she asked for Gabby and not Daisy. I think you're being too hard on yourself. I don't remember everyone's face who drop their dog off to remember who it is when picking up, especially when it is a wife dropping off and a husband picking up, etc. I've even had someone tell me they are sending their neighbor to pick up their dog for them. If I don't recognize the person right away I ask the customer "who are you here to pick up?" They give me the dog's name, I go get the dog. I don't ask for ID. Maybe I should verify the person's name and match it up to their card for verification, but in the case of the neighbor that wouldn't even work. If someone comes in asking for the wrong dog then they're either a complete moron or they are intentially trying to steal someone's dog. Either way I don't know how you could always catch that on your end.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
              That's what I was thinking---you asked her if she was 'here to pick up Gabby', maybe she just didn't hear you. It was an honest mistake. That is a huuuuge fear at a shop I used to work at. 50-60 dogs a day and it's easy to do. NOw they have a **** load of grooming loops, each with a number tag hanging on them, and that same loop goes with the dog everywhere it goes in the shop. Helps with the mix-ups.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                Good one, I can't believe she did not know her dog. Get real. if there were 600 shih tzus in a room I would know mine
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

A few years ago I had a golden retriever, named Simba, that I boarded for a few days when on vacation. The day I was to pick him up I received a call from the kennel asking if he was male or female. I said "he's a neutered male, why?" They said they had bathed him and put him in an enclosure to play with another freshly bathed golden (female) and apparently didn't know who was who. I filled out a form and supplied them with shot records so I'm sure they could have figured it out eventually. When we got there to pick him up I took a good hard look at him just in case.

Usually when someone comes in to pick up their dog I can easily tell who's mom or dad it is by looking at the dogs. Even though some dogs get excited when anybody comes in, the correct dog is usually jumping all over the place. If the dogs were in view of the owners, I'm surprised lady #1's dog wasn't reacting when she left with the dog belonging to lady #2.

Comment

Originally posted by plushpuppy View Post
                    Good one, I can't believe she did not know her dog. Get real. if there were 600 shih tzus in a room I would know mine

That's how I am with yorkies. I can tell them ALL apart (except the puppies those are easier to mix up). Especially Spike. I could tell him apart from any other yorkie, very easily.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I still can not get over the fact she came in with a shih tzu and left with a poodle?

Comment

Maybe when you asked the lady if she was "here for Gabby" she thought Gabby was a nick name you used for yappy dogs.
                        I am w/the others, don't beat yourself up. These things can happen especially if the owner doesn't recognize their own dog. Use it as a learning experience and try to develop a system do prevent it from happening again.
                        A friend of mine works for a vet where this happened. Like you, they got things straightened up w/no catastrophes like an escapee or someone getting bitten. So you see, you are not the only one this has happened to. I have taken the wrong dog up front, but THANKFULLY (knock on wood) no one has taken the wrong dog home!!
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

We had something similar at the veterinary hospital I learned grooming at. The vet actually breeds goldens, so there are a LARGE number of "his" pups that are permanent clients there. In this case, two female littermates (a little over a year old at the time) happened to be boarding at the same time, and the kennel help had taken the dogs outside to the potty runs at the same time. At check-in, each dog got one of those sticky collars that we'd written the dog's name and owner's last name on them, but as is the usual case, the dogs had gotten theirs off during boarding, and the kennel help hadn't replaced them, as they were supposed to.

Both dogs were on my bath list, and I made sure that I kept the cage cards WITH the same dog each time I moved them. So IF the dogs had ever gotten switched, there was no way it was MY doing... I kept the card labeled Princess Smith (made up name) with the dog I'd removed from the original run marked Princess Smith; and the one labeled Goldie Jones with the dog I'd removed (a few minutes later) from the boarding run labeled Goldid Jones. Now, this hospital had a policy that all leads and collars LEFT with the owners at check-in, so there was no identifying by collar color, and remember these were female littermates, so nearly identical in color and personality. Well, the Smith family picked up the dog labeled Princess Smith and the Jones family picked up the dog marked Goldie Jones. A couple days later, Mrs Smith called and said Princess was acting odd--almost like she didn't know her way around their home the first day home. No such call from the Joneses.... Of course, the GROOMERS got blamed for the loss of the kennel collars.

No one ever found out if there WAS a dog switch there or not.

Comment

You should have charged, now if they don't come back your reputation is soiled and you didn't get paid for the work! It was a mistake compounded by the fact that lady #1 didn't even know her own dog. Always get paid first and sort it our later. If a drycleaner gave the wrong coat but make the exchange later , you'd have to pay. Don't under value your work!

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                              We had something similar at the veterinary hospital I learned grooming at. The vet actually breeds goldens, so there are a LARGE number of "his" pups that are permanent clients there. In this case, two female littermates (a little over a year old at the time) happened to be boarding at the same time, and the kennel help had taken the dogs outside to the potty runs at the same time. At check-in, each dog got one of those sticky collars that we'd written the dog's name and owner's last name on them, but as is the usual case, the dogs had gotten theirs off during boarding, and the kennel help hadn't replaced them, as they were supposed to.

Both dogs were on my bath list, and I made sure that I kept the cage cards WITH the same dog each time I moved them. So IF the dogs had ever gotten switched, there was no way it was MY doing... I kept the card labeled Princess Smith (made up name) with the dog I'd removed from the original run marked Princess Smith; and the one labeled Goldie Jones with the dog I'd removed (a few minutes later) from the boarding run labeled Goldid Jones. Now, this hospital had a policy that all leads and collars LEFT with the owners at check-in, so there was no identifying by collar color, and remember these were female littermates, so nearly identical in color and personality. Well, the Smith family picked up the dog labeled Princess Smith and the Jones family picked up the dog marked Goldie Jones. A couple days later, Mrs Smith called and said Princess was acting odd--almost like she didn't know her way around their home the first day home. No such call from the Joneses.... Of course, the GROOMERS got blamed for the loss of the kennel collars.

No one ever found out if there WAS a dog switch there or not.
                              Man, can you imagine always having in the back of your mind a suspicion that it's not your dog...rofl
                              i cant imagine!
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X