Need advice to pass on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice to pass on.

I have a friend that is a groomer at another shop. She has full intentions of opening her own shop, and I support her all the way. She has a hard time working for other people (always a personality clash), so being on her own would be best. I'm torn tho because I feel like I need to give her advice....that she might not like. She is a person that does not like to work long hours. She doesn't like to do a lot of dogs/cats in a day and is GROUCHY when her day is longer than 6-7 working hours. She doesn't like to deal with the 'front end'/customer thing too much, and has a track record at her shop of cutting or clipper burning dogs (at least one a month). She quite literally could spend an hour every night on the phone telling me about all the dogs and problems with each one. If it was a strip, she wishes the customer wanted a scissor cut cause that would have been cuter; if it was a scissor all over, she didn't feel like brushing it out. If someone wants an appointment that day, last minute she says no - people should plan ahead. I feel like shes probably not going to succeed on her own, unless she gets a handle on what its like to be the business owner. So, any words of wisdom?

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:30 PM.

Comment

just my thought.......but you might suggest the other groomer first understand customer/client skills prior to having her own shop. That would be the first step...

If she doesnt enjoy talking with clients best she choose another field or possibly work in shops or corp. where there are guidelines and training.

Ya never know
      Trish

Comment

You're a good friend to care about what happens to this gal. Sounds like she won't make it on her own. Is she on this board? You should encourage her to join us. If she doesn't get it, I'm sure all of us will help straighten her out. She should also read From Problems To Profits, and get the Grooming Biz in a Box. Maybe grooming just isn't for her, but she hasn't figured that out yet???
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

It's really difficult to give advice to others. Since your friend doesn't like to work very many hours each day, maybe if you went over a basic business plan and helped her figure out how many clients she would need to have each day just to break even, she might change her mind about opening her own business.

BTW LMAO Pmperedpups!

Comment

I suspect there are other issues in her life, and she's focusing all her negativity on grooming, rather than meeting her issues head on. It's a recipe for disaster, all right. And I'm not quite sure there's anything you can really do, as I also suspect any constructive advice you offer is also going to be met negatively.

It takes a delicate touch to lead a person to find their own truth. That's why therapists make so much money. When the rest of us try it, we usually wind up taking the brunt of their frustration and anger.

And I guess that's just a long winded way of saying there probably isn't much you can do but lend a shoulder for her to cry on when she tanks.

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. Keep your mouth shut. All you will do is piss her off and that could end the friendship. Support her, but do not offer advice unless it is asked for.
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Yeah advice is needed. If she doesn't like to deal with clients, then she wont last long in business for herself. Plus she doesn't like to do many pets in a day and doesn't like long hours. It really sounds like she just doesn't want to work at all. She'd do better if people just handed her money for her just being alive. Just kidding. It would be best if she stayed where she is for a while and learned the ropes. She can always hire a receptionist for the front end work, but she'd still have to talk to clients about the cuts. If she doesn't want to brush out a dog just to scissor it then she can talk to the owners about shaving it or sending it to another shop. But just from the little you described, she doesn't sound like someone who would succeed in owning a business.
                Becky

Comment

The best advice I can offer is.....Never open a shop underfunded!!......

Comment

Originally posted by nicshred View Post
                    just my thought.......but you might suggest the other groomer first understand customer/client skills prior to having her own shop. That would be the first step...

If she doesnt enjoy talking with clients best she choose another field or possibly work in shops or corp. where there are guidelines and training.

Ya never know
                    Trish
                    I agree with trish... no customer service , no customers that's a real issue if she needs to pay bills..
                    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                    Nancy

Comment

maybe she would like to open a shop from her home. She might not have to work long hours or need to groom so many dogs to pay overhead. You might could say things to her like ..gee...its been a long day and the clients to deal wth..whew...sure is alot to this business are you sure you're up to it? LOL maybe she'll take the hint? otherwise, just be a friend and listen..and be there for her...

Comment

Your friend sounds like a groomer that used to work for me. She was a good groomer, but soooooo negative about everything!!! If we were busy she complained that she was tired, if we were slow she complained she couldn't pay bills. And the mouth on her!!!! I have a bit of a potty mouth myself, but she took it to a whole nother level...lol I finally fired her after a particularly bad day, and she just couldn't believe it. She actually thought she was a stellar employee. BTW, I was her 4th place of employment in little over a year so it wasn't just "me".
                        It does sound like your friend needs some help, not just in the grooming end, but also in the "people" end. When someone gets into this business they HAVE to realize that the dogs don't pay the bill, their humans do. There are not many ways to escape customer service other than hiring a front person and hiding in the back. This wouldn't work though, because most people want to meet the owner/groomer. Try to get her to read the books already suggested and join this message board. Anything you advise her on will end up in an argument I bet. You are a good friend to try to help her, and also a very good friend to stay friends w/what sounds like a rather difficult person.
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said so far. I have one more concern, which is the dogs themselves: sounds like your friend lets things get to her quickly and then sometimes her concentration goes down and something happens like clipper burn or cutting a dog. Perhaps working at home, doing a few dogs a day would be better for her so that the grooming experience would be less hectic for her. But I agree; if she can't afford to do this, she doesn't sound like the kind of person who can step into a high volume business and make it work yet.

Comment

Hey Groomrgirl!!

I think its time to get creative. I totally think you should keep your mouth shut directly. She will take what you say as "not understanding her side" or as not respecting her. BUT there is good news. If you get creative you can come up with other ways to get the point across. You could do things like buy her books on certain subjects where you think she is lacking as a gift. Just as a gift. Maybe a book about running a business or as someone posted the grooming for profit or grooming business in a box. Of course you cant say "Here girl, you suck at these skills so read this book" But more like "I know starting a new business is hard so I picked out these books about it. maybe they can be helpful. They come highly recommended by people in the industry"

You could use stories about "other" groomers doing certain things and then discuss with her how situations probably could have been handled better..

You could pretend YOU have a certain problem and ask her advice when you are really talking about a problem you saw her have. As she problem solves "your" problem, she will be learning at the same time how to handle the situation herself without being accused and getting on the defensive.

As for the not wanting to work long hrs. Who does??? We shouldnt have to work 12 hr days to get by so maybe she has the right of it. Id stay completely off that subject because the truth of the matter is, when the bills start coming in, the problem will take care of itself. If she isnt paying the bills she will have to work more hrs or raise prices or adjust. Nothing you can say can push her more then the thought of losing her own business.

Anyway... good luck. I KNOW it is soooo hard to watch a friend make mistakes or go into something with rose colored glasses when you know it wont be so rosey but my best advice is to stand by her and support her rather then try to mold her.

jade

Comment

Offering unsolicited advice (like a lot we get on these boards) is not only rude but it's often unappreciated anyway. If you offer your friend this advice, she will probably be offended or at least disagree with you.

I would not say a word, but be the friend that you say you are and leave it at that. When things come crashing down, she'll need you to blubber to in the end. Sometimes people need to learn the hard way.

It sounds like you're a good friend, worrying about her and such.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X