What are you favorite scissors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you favorite scissors?

What brand of straight scissors and curved scissors do you prefer and how expensive are they?

I love my Kenchi straight 8 1/2 " shears. They are so smooth, quiet and do not bend hair at all. They were originally $325, but the model was being discontinued, so I got them for 1/2 price at a show. I now want a pair of curved ones.

I also like my Talyn curved shears. They cost me around $125 I believe.

I also like my Geib shears which cost around $60 each. They really are a workhorse.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I have Geib Crocodiles, and I really like them. They fit my hand well (which is an important part of choosing scissors I've learned from these boards).

I have the Roselines but no longer like them as much, though I LOOOVE the Roseline thinners I have. Roselines are around $70 each, while the Geibs were around $140.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I love Monks.... I have had some of my pairs for over 12 years and they cut like theyre brand new.....I think I paid $50-60 each pair.

Comment

I personally would like to know the difference between an 80/pair and 300/pr? I think I have a pair of monks and they cut just as nicely as my Geibs...actully I like them better...8 1/2 curved balltip...

Comment

I have a pair of dubl duck straight that i just LOVE...they cost a little over 55 i think. I don't use curved much.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Scissors

I love Geib- the difference is your metals and the sharpness they hold as well as how well the resharpen (this comes from Ed Geib who makes and sell $50 and $500 pairs of shears). I am a firm believer in getting GOOD thinners!!!

Comment

Like CountryCanines,my Monks are the best.....I love my 10 inch straight and they are regularly sharpened by Jeff at NorthernTails (I have 3 pair and use them in cycle) I think they were around 70 dollars

Comment

Edited.
                  Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I see so many good comments about Monks But I tell ya if the pair I have will hold an edge for two weeks after they are sharpened they are doing good.
                    I have a pair of Arius Eckharts(sp?) that I like a lot, they were around $90 I think.

Lisa

Comment

fav scissors

my all time favs are Geib's. they run about $250 for longs but the balance, light feel and smooth motion are worth every penny

Comment

Roseline curves...dbl duck straight....I bought a pair of Geibs, but everytime I used them , they cut so easily, I had visions of cutting through the dog's skin, they freaked me out! The key is getting someone to sharpen and balance them correctly!

Comment

Another Geib fan here!
                          Sheri

Comment

Kamisori's... Love them, so light & pefect ballance, plus the cut like a hot knife through butter & I still havent had to get any of them sharpened (there all about 10-12 Months old)
                            Also Love my Talyn keyhole thinners

Comment

geibs here too

I use only Geib shears. I have used many of the others ( another nice thing about working in a shop years ago with many groomers, we got to try things out that others might love to see if we also liked them or not before purchasing) I just was not happy with any of the others that I tried.
                              I have 2-8.5" Cheetah curves, 2-8.5" Cheetah straights, 1-9.5" super phil, 1-9.5" super phil curve, 2-Cheetah thinners, 1-10" Crocodile straight, 1-10" Crocodile curve and a Crocodile thinner.

I originally went from Oster shears to Geib Gators and couldn't believe the ease and time saved by upgrading my shears. A few years later I got to hold each of the Geib line and preferred the balance of the Cheetah. (my boss bought the Katanas and ended up borrowing my Cheetahs all the time) I again saw my grooming improve in both quality and speed. I have used Cheetah's every since as my primary shear, but this past November, I got a set of Crocodiles and WOW! I love the light weight and they are a great shear. I find myself using the straights on front legs of almost any dog now.

The keys to any good shear are first off, it must fit YOUR hand and second, hold a very nice edge.

I have held a pair of Les Pooch shears that cost $1800.00/pr. They moved with absolutely no effort just as smooth as could be, but were thinner than what I prefer in a shear. (maybe just what I am used to I guess) And they really didn't fit my hand well. While I do feel you usually do get what you pay for between $50-$500 shears, I can't bring myself to spend $500 let alone $1800.

Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X