Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Ok don't really know where to start. I live in a medium sized town with a large dog population. We have a self serve dog wash and 4 salons plus the pet somethings. I used to go to the dog wash before I became a groomer beautiful set up. Since I have been grooming the owner of the dog wash has sent clients to me that want a full grooming. Never any problems until now. She called me yesterday and said that she would no longer refer me because I let one of my kids wash a customeres dog(this person also uses her shop between grooms) The kid of mine that she is refering to is 28 years old, married with 2 children and I could see what was going on the whole time. Besides that he has taken a brusher bather course so that he could help or even get a part time job in his town to supplement his income, the day this customer was refering to was the day before Christmas Eve. I explained this to her and she said that because she did not know him that she has lost her trust in my judgement. End of subject and hung up.

I was so blown away, I got off the phone and was in tears.. I really pride myself in my reputation and the fact that I love what I'm doing
    My husband thinks that I should go talk to her, but I would rather send a letter as I am one of these people that when I am mad I cry and I know that I will cry as I am so angry off about the whole thing I could scream.. Any Suggestions???
    Last edited by plushpuppy; 02-10-07, 08:17 AM.
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy

Ok I think most people are crazy I guess anymore. What is the difference who bathed the dog if you were present in the salon and there were no problems with the dog? People are nuts! Well they really wouldn't like my shop because my 15 year old neice helped me at Christmas time. These people don't realize how difficult Christmas time is for Groomers, I could have taken 30 more grooms if I had another bather the week before....... I really don't think you need to explain yourself anymore to them than you already have. It is your business not theirs and how you run it is totally up to you. I always think of these situations as a sign of things to come with certain people. If they act like that you should be glad to get rid of them because something more serious might happen in the future with them.

Comment

that's goofy

I think that her reaction was waaaayyy over the top, and probably means that she has some other issue brewing below the surface. Maybe she thought you were trying to take her bath business. I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe the best thing is to wait until your anger has subsided enough so that you can talk to her without tears. (Believe me I can relate to that!! Do it all the time, too.)
      That might be long enough so that she has calmed down, too, and realizes that her reaction was overblown. If she is still nutso, let it go. You did nothing wrong! Might help to write down all the circumstances so you can remember when the time comes.

Comment

I'm confused. Are you saying she was mad because you did not personally wash the dog? What difference would that make? I can't imagine any customer having a problem with a 'groomer' having a 'bather' bathing their dog. Now if she referred to you specifically for a haircut and you had the bather do the cut, I could see her point.

Comment

Over the top

Yes, this lady was over the top in her reaction, but be careful about sending a letter. Here is why: Once in print it can be used in different ways, other people may not understand your situation abd she may show the letter around or only show part of it.

I would not fret about it, if you want to clear the air, visit her. How about send a little gift (Cookie bouquet) with a sweet note (not letter), that says "thank you for your referrals, I hope you know that I AM someone who prides herself in quality work".

Comment

Well, that's a weird over-reaction to a trained bather giving a dog a bath. I know how hard it can be to keep the emotion out of something when you're personally attacked and unprepared for such an attack.

I don't think I saw anything in your post to indicate there was a problem with the groom. Did something happen to the dog your son bathed? Even so, it's a weird incident.

Maybe something was going on in her life and she lashed out at you. You can never be quite sure but once you've given it some time, try to talk to her about it. You may very well find out it has little to do with you. If she was personally offended somehow I'd find out what bugged her about the whole thing. Also, like you mentioned, a letter is not a bad idea either. Try to keep the emotion out of that too.

Good luck, hope you can resolve this with her.

Comment

How did she even know that you didn't personally bathe the dog? Unless you had an agreement with her that she will only refer to you as long as you personally handle all dogs in your shop from start to finish, last I checked it's your business and you can allocate responsibilities as you see fit. I definitely wouldn't apologize to her, because you didn't do anything wrong. She sounds completely insane to get upset about a qualified bather bathing a dog in your shop. Unless something happened to the dog due to negligence on your or your son's part, but that's a different story and you didn't mention anything like that. If she has something else going on in her life that caused her to lash out at you, that's her problem and SHE should be apologizing to you.

Comment

The groom went perfect the customer said that she loved how the dog looked and tipped $15.00. I am pretty stunned over the whole thing. I can see if I let someone else groo but all he did was wash the dog. The more I think about it I think for now I will just let it be. I know that I did nothing wrong
                Nancy

Comment

I would wait a few days and then give her a call. I would also call the client that told on you and find out if they were upset.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I would go over there after everything's calmed down with I'm thinking your son. Maybe even a little gift like some cookies or something. Say you just stopped by to introduce her to your son. Maybe he can talk about his qualifications and such. Show her your above her nasty attitude and also that your son is very capable.

If you have your own steady clientele and don't really need her referrals....then nix that idea and just forget her.

Comment

Edited.
                      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Geeze. She's got a bee in her bonnet about something for sure, but you didn't do ANYTHING wrong. Lucky you to have a son who can help out in a pinch and who took the bather course. He's obviously qualified to do the job. I would let it go. Definitely NO letter. No cookies either. Why appoligize for something you didn't do? It will be interesting to see if the client returns. She liked the job, so I'll bet she comes back. Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, and forget it!
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

She had asked me how I had made it through the holidays by myself. I had told her that I was not alone that my son came up early for Xmas so that he could help. She laughed and said how awesome is it that you can count on your family. I had said that had I needed to I also would have put my daughter(30) and my husband to work in order to accomadate my customers..
                          I guess in her eyes that was the wrong thing to say.
                          Nancy

Comment

Wow, that just doesn't make any sense. Sorry this happened to you.

Comment

Originally posted by plushpuppy View Post
                              She had asked me how I had made it through the holidays by myself. I had told her that I was not alone that my son came up early for Xmas so that he could help. She laughed and said how awesome is it that you can count on your family. I had said that had I needed to I also would have put my daughter(30) and my husband to work in order to accomadate my customers..
                              I guess in her eyes that was the wrong thing to say.
                              Don't sweat it. If she wants to be a crazy woman let her. But, and this is a BIG BUTT. She need not bad mouth you. Stand up for what you feel is right. I don't disagree with anything you did.
                              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                              X